View Full Version : Pocket Streets 2005 - New Maps Now Available

Darius Wey
10-05-2004, 10:33 AM
There are new Pocket Streets 2005 maps now available for download.

Countries supported are Australia, Canada, US, and the countries within Europe.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f616e67b-1879-434c-be64-0fb8cf65d64d&DisplayLang=en

Stephen Beesley
10-05-2004, 10:47 AM
There are new Pocket Streets 2005 maps now available for download.

Countries supported are Australia, Canada, US, and the countries within Europe.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f616e67b-1879-434c-be64-0fb8cf65d64d&DisplayLang=en

Great stuff - maps of Perth and Dublin.

Now I just have to see how detailed they are. I suspect the Dublin map is going to be pretty featureless. The Irish Ordinance survey that controls most of the map info for Ireland has been very difficult about releasing that information in a digital form. As a consequence there are not really any detailed online or downloadable maps for Ireland. Even recent editions of MS Streets and Tips etc only have skeletal maps of the main roads and motorways etc. Maybe that has finally changed. I will have to wait until I get home and load Pocket Streets 2005 up so that i can test these maps.

Darius Wey
10-05-2004, 10:52 AM

I know. I'm excited too! Finally I can stick maps of Perth on my Pocket PC and not entirely rely on stupid folded page corners for my huge street directory! 8)

Stephen Beesley
10-05-2004, 11:22 AM

I know. I'm excited too! Finally I can stick maps of Perth on my Pocket PC and not entirely rely on stupid folded page corners for my huge street directory! 8)

In my most recent job in Oz I travelled to Brisbane a lot and would have loved to have been able to put maps of the Brissie CBD on my Pocket PC. The first couple of times I went there I was always getting lost during my lunch.

Darius Wey
10-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Well Stephen...I just tried out the Perth maps and am happy with what it delivers.

Everything's there - from shopping centres, schools, hospitals, to people's houses, etc.

You'll like it! :D

EDIT: Well...all with a couple of typos here and there, but nothing that will drive you up the wall. :lol:

campusminister
10-06-2004, 04:54 AM
These maps do not seem to work with the version of Pocket Streets that came with my MapPoint 2004.

I have Pocket Streets 2004 and need to upgrade, don't I? Do I have to purchase Streets and Trips 05 just to get PStreets 05?

If so, I will just live with PStreets 04!!!

Stephen Beesley
10-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Well Stephen...I just tried out the Perth maps and am happy with what it delivers.

Everything's there - from shopping centres, schools, hospitals, to people's houses, etc.

You'll like it! :D

EDIT: Well...all with a couple of typos here and there, but nothing that will drive you up the wall. :lol:

Finally got to try this out myself and was very impressed by detail in the suburban maps, but very unimpressed by the lack of street names in the City centre maps. Very strange only a few of the streets in the CBD are name.

The Dublin maps are similarly a bit of a disappointment. Has all the tourist/cultural places etc but an almost total lack of street names. To make it worse the streets that do get a name are often the less important ones while the main shopping and business roads don't get named - very odd! Oh well.

Darius Wey
10-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Finally got to try this out myself and was very impressed by detail in the suburban maps, but very unimpressed by the lack of street names in the City centre maps. Very strange only a few of the streets in the CBD are name.

The Dublin maps are similarly a bit of a disappointment. Has all the tourist/cultural places etc but an almost total lack of street names. To make it worse the streets that do get a name are often the less important ones while the main shopping and business roads don't get named - very odd! Oh well.

That's true. I found the lack of streets in the CBD a bit odd. And the other thing, it doesn't seem to have been well updated as there have been many freeway and CBD modifications that have happened over the past two years that don't seem to be present in the maps.

Kati Compton
10-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Anyone used PocketStreets yet on a VGA device?

Stephen Beesley
10-16-2004, 05:59 PM

That's true. I found the lack of streets in the CBD a bit odd. And the other thing, it doesn't seem to have been well updated as there have been many freeway and CBD modifications that have happened over the past two years that don't seem to be present in the maps.

Hmm okay, - if you tap and hold on a road it will pop up the name. I cannot remember Pocket Streets 2002 (the only other version I have used) doing this although it is a while since I used it. This seems to explain the missing street names. The thing that bothers me is that you would have to have some idea where the street you are after is to be able to find it in the first place or use the search option (which for some reason does not seem to work on the Dublin map.

Darius Wey
10-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Hmm okay, - if you tap and hold on a road it will pop up the name. I cannot remember Pocket Streets 2002 (the only other version I have used) doing this although it is a while since I used it. This seems to explain the missing street names. The thing that bothers me is that you would have to have some idea where the street you are after is to be able to find it in the first place or use the search option (which for some reason does not seem to work on the Dublin map.

Actually, Stephen...what streets did you have trouble finding in the first place? If you zoom right in, you can see most of them, although there are some which just don't want to show.

The thing that really ticks me off is that some roads just aren't named properly. Take the full stretch of Mounts Bay Road for example, all it appears as is "5".

The search option seems to work well on the Perth map however. :) Thankfully!

Stephen Beesley
10-17-2004, 12:43 AM

Actually, Stephen...what streets did you have trouble finding in the first place? If you zoom right in, you can see most of them, although there are some which just don't want to show.

The thing that really ticks me off is that some roads just aren't named properly. Take the full stretch of Mounts Bay Road for example, all it appears as is "5".

The search option seems to work well on the Perth map however. :) Thankfully!

yeh on closer examination the Perth map seems pretty fine (apart from things like Mounts bay road) but on the Dublin map the search doesn't seem to work but all the streets are there if you look hard enough! All in though I am just glad to finally have street level mapping of my two favourite cities in my pocket!

Darius Wey
10-17-2004, 04:59 AM
yeh on closer examination the Perth map seems pretty fine (apart from things like Mounts bay road) but on the Dublin map the search doesn't seem to work but all the streets are there if you look hard enough! All in though I am just glad to finally have street level mapping of my two favourite cities in my pocket!

It's quite strange that the search function for the Dublin map is non-functional. I am assuming you do have a 2005 version of the map right? 8)