View Full Version : Proprietary headphone jacks in PPC devices

humayunl
10-04-2004, 10:41 AM
I just want to know why can't manufacturers use the standard headphone mini jack in PDA's so we can simply plug in our higher quality headphones into the device if we want to listen to music.

The headphones that come with the device are never the quality a music listener may want.

I have even had a Discman (I believe it was sony) in which the connection to the cd player was proprietary and that chord had a remote but on the remote there was another jack to which the headphone jack (a standard plug size) would plug in. You were free to use your own headphones if you liked while still being able to use the remote control.

Why hasn't anyone done this for the Pocket PCs??

rocky_raher
10-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Look at this site: www.pocketpctechs.com. They were mentioned in a PPCT article a while ago. I just ordered a cable for my Samsung SPH-i700. The non-standard 2.5 mm plug really annoyed me.

Sven Johannsen
10-04-2004, 08:49 PM
I just want to know why can't manufacturers use the standard headphone mini jack in PDA's

Because the standard stereo mini-jack doesn't support the extra ring for the mic input. There are adapters. http://www.pc-mobile.net/ has assorted ones too. I would think the OEM could at least provide that though.