View Full Version : Inbox Won't Sync

atcguy
10-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Hello

My client has an IPAQ PC and I am trying to connect it with activesync 3.7.1. We recently updated the business network to a MS Small Business Server and the client uses exchange for email. I configured the active sync partnership with the exchange option but it fails to sync the inbox and contacts. I get the message "see status on device". What have I missed here?

Thanks

Kati Compton
10-03-2004, 04:33 AM
Moved to Just Chattin' since this is more about Activesync and isn't ipaq-specific.

Sven Johannsen
10-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Probably not syncing calendar either. I'm not even sure SBS supports this, but Exchange 2000 required Mobile Information Server to run alongside to allow syncing a PPC directly to an Exchange Server. Exchange Server 2003 should provide that capability natively, though I am not sure if it is there in SBS 2003. I don't know much about it, but do know that it does require some specific configuration settings on the Exchange side to allow it to happen. It's not just a turn it on on the PPC thing. I'm sure there are some whitepapers at the SBS site that may help.

First thing is are you running SBS 2003, and next is Server ActiveSync supported in SBS.

Janak Parekh
10-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Wait, let me get this straight...

Are you trying to do direct server synchronization, or are you trying to use ActiveSync from a PC connected to the network?

In the former case, Sven is correct -- Mobile Information Server needs to be configured. It's built into Exchange 2003 (as opposed to being an Exchange 2000 add-on), but you still need to set up a few things, in particular a signed SSL certificate, before it works. (Sven, I'm 90%+ sure that SBS 2003 contains the full Exchange 2003 package, and that it's just limited licensewise.)

In the latter case, don't set up server sync. Just set up the Pocket PC to sync with the desktop running Outlook as if it were standalone. That should work without any further setup.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
10-04-2004, 03:31 AM
I wasn't at all sure if the Exchange in SBS 2003 supported that. I was fairly leary of being able to run MIS in conjunction with SBS2000. Ever tried that? Since you already have a mess of stuff running on one server, adding MIS might be pretty taxing, and I wasn't sure how SBS would take to running MIS on a seperate box. Your suggestion is probably the most do-able. I just wanted to raise the question if Server Sync to SBS was even supported.

atcguy
10-05-2004, 04:06 AM
Thanks Gentleman

I did try to connect via the standalone method but I'm almost sure I got a similar result. I will try again.