View Full Version : VGA Pocket PC.com

Jason Dunn
10-02-2004, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.vgapocketpc.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.vgapocketpc.com/</a><br /><br /></div>There's a new site in town, and it's called VGA Pocket PC.com. Unsurprisingly, it deals with Pocket PCs that have VGA screens, reviews and news about them. They also have a <a href="http://www.vgapocketpc.com/vga-pocket-pc-comparison.php">comparison page</a> that you might find useful. Worth a look!

maximus
10-02-2004, 06:24 AM
So, X50 is the thinnest, lightest, has fastest processor and largest ROM ?

Sweet.

Wiggster
10-02-2004, 06:34 AM

Sweet.

Not counting the hx470x on the last two, of course :wink:

Duncan
10-02-2004, 01:06 PM

Sweet.

Errrmm... no. The hx4700 has the same amount of ROM and the same speed processor.

Both the hx4700 and Loox 720 are thinner.

As for the weight - the info at AximSite that gave the weight came wth specs for all of the new Axims - including the lower spec'ed devices. I think it rather unlikely that the VGA top end Axim will be 140g - rather I would imagine that the X50 range will simply start at 140g...

maximus
10-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Both the hx4700 and Loox 720 are thinner.

My bad. I only look at the 0.6" ... forgot to look at the metrics.

As for the weight - the info at AximSite that gave the weight came wth specs for all of the new Axims - including the lower spec'ed devices. I think it rather unlikely that the VGA top end Axim will be 140g - rather I would imagine that the X50 range will simply start at 140g...

Well, I am sure any respected review site will use devices at comparable configuration. Taken directly from the site, the high end X50 with both radios that he/she tested is weighted at 140 grams.

Duncan
10-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Well, I am sure any respected review site will use devices at comparable configuration. Taken directly from the site, the high end X50 with both radios that he/she tested is weighted at 140 grams.

The site hasn't tested the X50 - no-one has yet. The statisitics for the X50 come from Aximsite's forums and were given by a Dell rep. Only one weight was given even though multiple versions of the X50 (including one - with no graphics chip, half the ROM, no built-in WiFi or CF slot and QVGA screen - at the bottom end). Therefore I'm assuming that they can't all be the same weight. Bearing in mind all the features the top-end X50 has, and that they are being made by HTC (as are the Loox 720 and hx4700), I would imagine that 140g is the 'start from' weight with the top end being nearer to 160 - 170g (the smaller battery might enable it to weigh a few grammes less than the Loox despite the added GPU).

mr_Ray
10-02-2004, 02:50 PM

Sweet.
Thinnest? The loox720 is smaller in all but 1 dimension.
Lightest? Thanks to that teeny tiny battery, yeah.
Fastest processor? Well joined with the 4700 (and all the others if you o/c).
Largest ROM? It also has the smallest RAM. I know which of the 2 I find more useful...

Also compared to my (soon to be delivered) Loox - no USB host, no CIR, no camera, less buttons (BIG issue for me).

The only people the Axim X50 seems good for is gamers (possibly) because of the Intel GPU - and that's going to be held back in mobile-gaming-usefulness by the small battery.

Oh yeah, and it's made by Dell. :twisted:

Still, each to their own...

Jonathan1
10-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Oh yeah, and it's made by Dell. :twisted:

Ummm no its made by HTC :roll:

Jason Dunn
10-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Guys, keep it civil please - just because someone is excited about one device doesn't that they're dissing the device you want. It's not a contest.

Kevin Daly
10-02-2004, 08:54 PM
I wish they had an article on "How To Get MS Reader 2.3 To Actually Work On The hx4700 (And Yes That Includes Accepting And Acting On Screen Taps Without Freezing)".

That would be nice.

mr_Ray
10-03-2004, 08:07 AM
My apologies, I guess I did sound a bit ranty there. My excuse is that I'd just been listening to some moron at work almost considering the X50 as the 2nd coming of Christ... Consider me chastised. :oops:

Anyway, the good thing about the new VGA devices is that they're all quite different from each other. A welcome changes after a whole load of PPCs that seem to differ only by colour and price. Viva la difference.

ctitanic
10-03-2004, 03:01 PM
I wish they had an article on "How To Get MS Reader 2.3 To Actually Work On The hx4700 (And Yes That Includes Accepting And Acting On Screen Taps Without Freezing)".

That would be nice.

Put me on that list. I don't use it so much but it's something that I would liki to have it installed.

ShinyPlastic
10-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the link Jason.

All data on the comparison is taken from official specs or from info posted to the web so for the devices where it isn't official (such as the X50) I will update if more accurate info comes along. (and if anyone hears of anything that isn't on the comparison page please let me know so I can update the site).

I agree with mr_Ray: it's good to see a variety of devices from different manufacturers, each with their own plusses and minuses. That tells me that the Pocket PC market is healthier than Toshiba's departure from the US would make it appear.

Mark......
ShinyPlastic.com and VGAPocketPC.com
[email protected]

Christian
10-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the link Jason.

All data on the comparison is taken from official specs or from info posted to the web so for the devices where it isn't official (such as the X50) I will update if more accurate info comes along. (and if anyone hears of anything that isn't on the comparison page please let me know so I can update the site).

I agree with mr_Ray: it's good to see a variety of devices from different manufacturers, each with their own plusses and minuses. That tells me that the Pocket PC market is healthier than Toshiba's departure from the US would make it appear.

Mark......
ShinyPlastic.com and VGAPocketPC.com
[email protected]

I would like to see the A730w included in the comparison - even if it is just based on rumors like the Axim.

ShinyPlastic
10-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I would like to see the A730w included in the comparison - even if it is just based on rumors like the Axim.

The A730w isn't just based on rumors:

Asus' Italian site mentions it on this press release:

http://www.asus.it/news/2004/20040826.htm

saying (roughly) that the standard model will be available in September and will be joined at the end of the month by the A730W with integrated 802.11b Wi-Fi, the A730W will cost 50euros more than the A730.

I haven't found anything direct from Asus confirming the 128mb RAM of the A730W but that is likely to be the other main difference between the 2 models.

Mark......

P.S. I mentioned the A730W on the main A730 profile page and will note it on my comparison (and on a VGA Pocket PC buyers guide I am writing).

Duncan
10-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Even if Asus hadn't already said they would be releasing a dual-wireless device - there is an entry on the FCC database for the a730w. This also confirmed that it would have 128MB RAM (before various docs were removed at the request of Asus).

There is also the CeBit press release: http://www.asus.com/news/2004/20040311.htm

Interestingly the brochure at CeBit has the weight of the dual wireless version as being 'less than 190g' - a couple of people have said that they know that a730w will have a bigger battery (though the brochure says nothing it also gives a battery size of 1150 mAh - when the battery for the a730 - BT only - is now 1100 mAh) - one stating it as being 1440 mAh. A WiFi module and larger battery would likely make for a heavier model.

Less than 190g is otherwise an odd figure when the a730 was there in full running form at CeBit (i.e. could be weighed) and the BT only model is now known to be 170g.