View Full Version : More Axim X50 Details?

Janak Parekh
10-01-2004, 05:15 AM
If you haven't been watching the X50 discussion from yesterday closely, more details are cropping up. PPCT member upplepop <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=288708&sid=9b97f33cf7846e5318f0b181c8bd0fc3#288708">summarized the specifications</a> of the three device models, as gleaned from the <a href="http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=52518&page=2&pp=25">Aximsite discussion</a>. Finally, FirstLoox has updated their <a href="http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm">VGA comparison page</a> with the details of the high-end unit.<br /><br />Simply put, if a VGA Pocket PC will be available for $499, it'll be a pretty awesome deal. 8)

PJE
10-01-2004, 01:55 PM
I hope the X50v does have the USB Host... now I see it has a VGA out.

You could then have a very nice desktop dock with large LCD/Keyboard/Mouse/Storage...

...although with Bluetooth you can do X50v -> LCD and add a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, then all you're missing is mass storeage which could be handled by the WiFi...

Roll on October 10th.

Jonathan1
10-01-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm still somewhat irked that Dell didn't go with 128MB of RAM on their high end device. That deserves a good o' WTF?!?

Its not in any way a deal breaker for me but its still would have made the device all the more perfect.

PJE
10-01-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm still somewhat irked that Dell didn't go with 128MB of RAM on their high end device. That deserves a good o' WTF?!?

Its not in any way a deal breaker for me but its still would have made the device all the more perfect.

I agree, 128MB would be nice, but keeping that memory constantly refreshed would eat into the battery life. What I would really like was true execute in place for the flash. In that way running programs took little of the main memory, although performance may be compromised...

Ryan Joseph
10-01-2004, 04:00 PM

Somewhere in that massive 8 page thread from the other day someone points out that they asked the Dell chat and found that 128MB will be available. I don't kno whether that wil be standard on all x50v models or if it will be an added extra. But it's good to know it's available, right? :wink:

urologyhealth
10-01-2004, 04:18 PM
with these models and Only SD slot how does one connect to projector for presentation?

While waiting for an IMATE PDA2k, I purchased an Axim X30 and it works great with NOKIA 6820 and Bluetooth for internet. I'm rethinkiing one vs.2 pieces again.

thanks

Jonathan1
10-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Somewhere in that massive 8 page thread from the other day someone points out that they asked the Dell chat and found that 128MB will be available. I don't kno whether that wil be standard on all x50v models or if it will be an added extra. But it's good to know it's available, right? :wink:

The problem is I think some of these Dell reps are using the PIDOOMA (http://www.dangerouslogic.com/office_lexicon.html#pidooma) model to get their specs. Consequently we don't know what specs are real and which ones aren't last I read the 128/128 quote only happened once or twice with a Dell rep. By and large the specs stated by most reps suggest 64/128(64). At this point I'm going to believe the majority of the specs stated. If it turns out that those specs are wrong I will be VERY pleasantly surprised.

PPCRules
10-01-2004, 04:27 PM
I was reading the AximSite thread (rarely do I go there), and have to say: PPCThought sure seems to have a brighter set of posters.

Either that, or the moderators here remove the posts where people embarrass themselves.

So, after reading all this over the last couple days, I'm now looking forward to the official scoop. Apparently, it won't be long (it's October already!).

(Please, no comments on your perception of my own brightness.)

Jonathan1
10-01-2004, 04:29 PM
with these models and Only SD slot how does one connect to projector for presentation?

While waiting for an IMATE PDA2k, I purchased an Axim X30 and it works great with NOKIA 6820 and Bluetooth for internet. I'm rethinkiing one vs.2 pieces again.

thanks

I'm assuming that since it has the Intel 2700G chip that you don't need additional hardware so there will most likely be either an included or purchasable dongle that does a interface swap from whatever plug is on the base of the device to composite/RGB/video etc.

ADBrown
10-01-2004, 06:34 PM

Well, they do come with a CompactFlash slot.

ricksfiona
10-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Hopefully PPCTechs will be able to bump up the RAM to 128MB, then we'll have the best of both worlds with 128MB/128MB.

With this kind of processor, it's all about speed. Kinda defeats the purpose of a fast processor and slow memory. I'll buy the more powerful battery to use the faster memory. No problem.

Hopefully Dell will have a performance model with 128MB RAM and all the other goodies.

urologyhealth
10-01-2004, 09:52 PM
AXIM X30 only has SD

I wouldn't know what connector exists as Jonathan suggested to go from AXIM to VGA Projector--does anyone know of one?

Thanks

ADBrown
10-02-2004, 12:08 AM
AXIM X30 only has SD

I wouldn't know what connector exists as Jonathan suggested to go from AXIM to VGA Projector--does anyone know of one?

Yes, but the X50, which is what we're talking about, has CF/SD and (apparently) a VGA output. The X30 has only SD and no VGA output.

Still, you might look at Margi's Presenter to Go products. They might have something that works with the X30 to drive a projector.

jlp
10-02-2004, 06:05 AM
The article posted on PDAclub.pl (http://www.pdaclub.pl/view.php?news_id=8697) over a month ago states that the top of the line model has 128/128. The base model has 64/64, while the middle one has 64/128 RAM/ROM 8O

And given the fact they were the first ones to leak specific information and a realistic image of the x3 (http://www.pdaclub.pl/view.php?news_id=6271) before it came out, I'm led (lead? sp?) to believe them.

jlp
10-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Looks like nobody noticed that October 10 is a Sunday. Do Dell people work Sundays?

8O

Janak Parekh
10-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Looks like nobody noticed that October 10 is a Sunday. Do Dell people work Sundays?
Sounds like a typo to me. I'd expect anything announced for a Sunday to actually happen on the day after.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
10-04-2004, 03:38 AM
I read somewhere, official announcement on the 8th (a Fri) and orders being taken on the 10th. And yes, the automated Dell order system works 24/7 :)