View Full Version : Power consumption question to e800/805 users

drop
10-01-2004, 03:21 AM
I was told that the power consumption is larger for a 128MB RAM device. And that was the reason why HP chose to go with 64MB RAM / 128MB ROM combo. I want to hear from the users of the first 128MB RAM VGA device, do you feel the battery drain faster than other devices you used previously?

Thanks in advance!

Bill Harrison
10-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Well, I have had my E800/E805 for about a week now. Yes, it does seem to drain faster than my previous device, a UrThere Amigo. I have been getting about 3 hours of solid usage (wifi, vga, lowest backlight setting). But, I am sure that the mem and the vga screen are both big saps. The device is not too large though, so I am considering picking up the larger battery, this should keep me tidied over. I don't feel any of the newer devices offer any signifigant improvements over the E805 (except in processor speed, which if you don't mind overclocking, the E805 seems to overclock VERY nicely in my experience so far).

drop
10-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Thank you, Bill. I appreciate your reply.

Have fun with your e805. It is an awesome device.

newst
10-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Let's not compare apples and oranges. The E-800 does drain the battery faster than previous Pocket PCs, and undoubtedly some of that power drain is caused by keeping 128mb RAM alive as compared to 64mb.

However, there is also a major power drain in the E-800 due to the VGA screen-even when the unit is turned off. Those who are still runnung WM2003FE can compare the battery drain with the E-800 shut down while in QVGA mode to downtime while in VGA mode. There is a noticeable difference.

I for one can't say which attribute is more responsible for the increased power usage.

nwd
10-18-2004, 10:24 PM
agree, the e800 has been great
There are some great aftermarket batteries avialable from mugen - the 2000mAh lasts for me 1.5x as long as toshibas extended battery and 2.5 x as long as the regular battery, and has been great value.

(mugens 3800mAh is a wierd design and is not recommended - sticks out of back of device)

http://etxquc.simplyonline.com/default.cfm -