View Full Version : Dell Axim X50 Pricing, Release Date?

Janak Parekh
09-30-2004, 06:15 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=52518' target='_blank'>http://www.aximsite.com/boards/show...ead.php?t=52518</a><br /><br /></div>There's a thread over on Aximsite.com where a poster apparently got concrete details about the cost and release date of the rumored X50.<br /><br />Ok, so I just talked to Dell Customer Chat, and I got an official launch date, preorder date, and pricing. If you don't believe me talk to Dell Chat yourself. Anyways on to what we've all been waiting for...<br /><br />416 x50 $299<br />520 x50 $399<br />624 x50v $499<br /><br />They all feature CF and SDIO card slots.<br /><br />Launch Date: October 10<br />Order Date: October 12<br />Interesting stuff!

crispeto
09-30-2004, 06:19 AM
Errr, Ummm, I'll believe it when I see it 8O . Not that I don't believe it :D

nuka_t
09-30-2004, 06:28 AM
boy am i glad i bought my x30. what a ripoff.

Enderet
09-30-2004, 06:33 AM
boy am i glad i bought my x30. what a ripoff.

What a ripoff? 8O

Your X30 doesnt have the new screen.

nuka_t
09-30-2004, 06:41 AM
mid vs mid. same screen, same everything except 64mb rom, faster proc(i can OC mine ot htat speed though) and CF.

it costs nearly twice as much.

Jeff Song
09-30-2004, 06:58 AM
mid vs mid. same screen, same everything except 64mb rom, faster proc(i can OC mine ot htat speed though) and CF.

Who cares about the mid, the high is where it really stands out...499 for all that.. compared to at least 599, and 649 of the HP 4700! Great deal, expecially with all of the coupons dell gives out...

Boxster S
09-30-2004, 07:08 AM

Who cares about the mid, the high is where it really stands out...499 for all that.. compared to at least 599, and 649 of the HP 4700! Great deal, expecially with all of the coupons dell gives out...

Don't mind him :roll:

VGA screen, 627MHz, Bluetooth/WiFi, CF &amp; SD, and a sleek shaped reminiscent of the 4150 instead of a brick for under $500 + the usual coupons and discounts????

My 4150 is packing its bags as we speak.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/parekh-20040915-AximX50-1.jpg
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/parekh-20040915-AximX50-2.jpg

ricksfiona
09-30-2004, 07:11 AM

Yup, it's a bargain and it LOOKS more like an iPAQ than the HPs do! $499 for the unit + $200 for 2GB SD card, you got a much better Pocket PC that what HP offers!

Jeff Song
09-30-2004, 07:25 AM
oh...and now with the new sandisk cards announced, you can have 10 gb of storage on your PPC (8gb CF + 2gb SD) :eek:

thats alot of memory, and with dell's bluetooth keyboard and the vga screen, you can actually really think about leaving the laptop home...wow. now if it only had a gsm/gprs chip in it...sigh. in time i'm sure...

gibson042
09-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Let's see, if Dell's usual discounts hold the final price will be:

$499
- $74.85 (automatic 15% off)
- $40 ($40 off of $400 coupon code; act fast because it's limited to 1500 uses :wink:)
+ $0 shipping (we're already waiting for the deal, what's another couple of weeks?)
+ $19.21 tax (depends on location, I assumed 5%)
= $403.36 (...with an estimated ship date of January 3).

Granted, this is hypothetical, but $403 for a VGA PPC with CF, SDIO, Bluetooth 1.2 and 802.11b? Heck, even at $499 it smokes the hx4700... and could be on your doorstep by November. Please excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard.

vic2rp_stealth
09-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Granted, this is hypothetical, but $403 for a VGA PPC with CF, SDIO, Bluetooth 1.2 and 802.11b? Heck, even at $499 it smokes the hx4700... and could be on your doorstep by November. Please excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard.

... Yuck..., that's not drooling anymore. That's playing with saliva.

Sorry for off topic, anyway, let's just see its how low price equals to its performance or quality.

Stephen Beesley
09-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Now what I would like to see is what the € price is going to be! I am hoping that the strong € v US$ will make it at least a comparable price here in the eurozone.

I have been busy reading reviews of the various vga products and this is certainly starting to look like it might be a front runner for my cash (assuming always that I actually have some cash to spare on such a luxury item :D )...

WyattEarp
09-30-2004, 11:37 AM
If the X50v has a 4 inch display I would consider it over the hx4700.

Arqentus
09-30-2004, 12:38 PM
If the X50v has a 4 inch display I would consider it over the hx4700.

Instait for those 0.3", you get a 2700g with 16mb GPU, 2 extra games ( 3d? ), dual vga out etc extra ...

Ryan Joseph
09-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Woohoo! $499?!?! Yippee! :D

And released in October? Even better!

I'm seriously feeling the Phone Edition vs. VGA issue right now. The x50 looks so cool for an even cooler price......but I'd lose the phone. :dilemma:

Arrrgggghhh! I don't know what to do! If I thought there was any chance the XDA III would be priced like this, I'd wait for it. But we all know it'll be priced like the XDA II at $800+.

Realisticly, I'll probably get the x50 and go back to dual devices. I seriously want VGA.

But what about the phone edition! I love having that!
But I want VGA! It looks so cool!

No! I must keep the phone edition!
Ack! I really want VGA! Someone help!

paris
09-30-2004, 01:24 PM
if you change the name from Dell to HP then i might consider it!!!!!!!

I was never happy with Dell's products built quality and support but on the other hand was extremly happy with HP's products built quality and customer support! Therefore my 4150 has already packed to be replace with HP's vga ppc, the hx4700.

Deslock
09-30-2004, 01:26 PM
I paid $579 for my hx4700, but the X50 624 MHz price is very impressive. I have a feeling you will not be seeing it available with $100 worth of discounts out the gate, but it'll probably be attainable for $50-off. At that price I may end up ditching my hx4700 for an X50 (if its screen-quality, size, and weight are favorable enough).

Sven Johannsen
09-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Launch Date: October 10
Order Date: October 12

Can't order it for two days after the launch? What's up with that?

jngold_me
09-30-2004, 02:19 PM
My 4150 is packing its bags as we speak.

I'll hold judgement until I see some (H x W X D) comparison pics with other PPC's.

Paul P
09-30-2004, 02:28 PM

I was never happy with Dell's products built quality and support but on the other hand was extremly happy with HP's products built quality and customer support! Therefore my 4150 has already packed to be replace with HP's vga ppc, the hx4700.

I agree and prefer HP myself, but I believe this time both devices are built by the same manufacturer, HTC. :) x50 looks to be a winner in either case though.

Jonathan1
09-30-2004, 02:39 PM

:roll:

Dell isn't making this PDA the folks that brought you the 19xx, 41xx are making it. The name of the company escapes me right now.

laner
09-30-2004, 02:43 PM

We haven't seen any real build quality issues with Dell, I'll admit my daily unit is 2215 (with the grips starting to fall off) and would love to play with a 4350. One thing that Dell has that HP doesn't is really good extended warrenty. The complete care covers everything but lose basically. One of our guys accidently let his German Shepard puppy play with it and the replaced it without a problem. It's amazing how much damage they can do to an LCD display. One batch we got was accidently loaded with ppc2002 and they sent us the 2003 update cd without even being asked for it.

Deus
09-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Yep, this is my next Pocket PC. As long as this si not bigger than the 4700 I will oder this and my 2GB SD the same day(forgot, no 2GB til Nov.)! oooooooo Baby. I have to say...this looks like, let me quote a friend of mine, "the sexiest of all the Pocket PCs I have seen yet" ;)

This is the firs time my eyes have been steered in Dells direction. I hope this experience will be a good one. SO people think there will be discounts the first day? and what IS up with the order date 2 days after release? Anyone else have confirmation on this release date?

Jonathan1
09-30-2004, 03:13 PM
LOL. That axim thread is hilarious. People are bitching about $500 for Dell's high end model. What the heck people?!?! Lets look at this.
1. Top of the line CPU, topping off at 624Mhz.
2. 64MB RAM :( / 128MB ROM :)
3. VGA screen. (Please no yellowing!!)
4. WIFI, BlueTooth, CF, SD all built in!
5. Intel 2700G graphics accelerator.
6. Its prob going to be the form factor of the iPaq 41xx.

For $500. That's a dang good deal, assuming the reps at Dell weren't using the PIDOOMA (http://www.dangerouslogic.com/office_lexicon.html) model to get those figures. And as I, and prob a lot of others, had speculated in another thread having a sub $500 VGA model is going to be dang hard for a while. Those screens don't grow on trees.

The only question I have now is do I wait for a review or order it the day its released. Because the device is made by HTC I might want to get a review first. I don't want to deal with a PDA that has a yellow screen and HTC has a history of putting out yellow screen PDA's. Of course this could have been an HP thing. *shrugs* Who knows.

dmy
09-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Arrrgggghhh! I don't know what to do! If I thought there was any chance the XDA III would be priced like this, I'd wait for it. But we all know it'll be priced like the XDA II at $800+.

Realisticly, I'll probably get the x50 and go back to dual devices. I seriously want VGA.

But what about the phone edition! I love having that!
But I want VGA! It looks so cool!

No! I must keep the phone edition!
Ack! I really want VGA! Someone help!

GPRS/GSM or CDMA compact flash card??

Deus
09-30-2004, 03:31 PM
GREAT WORK! The info is true. This si the chat session with Dell.

Welcome to Dell chat. Please wait for an available agent to attend to you. This could take a few minutes.
{me 9:17:32 AM} [7814059096] I am looking to find information on the release date of the Dell X50 Pocket PC
The session has been accepted.

{"Techs name" 9:18:34 AM} Thank you for contacting Dell Consumer Customer Care Chat. My name is "Techs name". Please allow me a moment while I review your question.
{me 9:18:47 AM} Sure
{"Techs name" 9:20:02 AM} Would you like to purchase one?
{me 9:20:14 AM} Yes I am looking to
{me 9:20:30 AM} I know they are not listed as being released yet
{me 9:20:49 AM} I am looking for the date so I can be prepared to order
{"Techs name" 9:21:33 AM} http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&cat=all&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=+Dell+X50+Pocket+PC+
{"Techs name" 9:21:48 AM} However, It will announced in the web site shortly.
{me 9:22:05 AM} I dont see it?
{me 9:22:55 AM} Today some time?
{"Techs name" 9:24:00 AM} Within Next month it will be announced.
{"Techs name" 9:24:15 AM} Is there anything else I can assist you with?
{me 9:24:39 AM} Soeone on a message board listed this info I was hoping for confimation. They said they did Dell chat and got this
{me 9:24:40 AM} 416 x50 $299
520 x50 $399
624 x50v $499

They all feature CF and SDIO card slots.

Launch Date: October 10
Order Date: October 12
{me 9:24:56 AM} Is this true?
{"Techs name" 9:27:56 AM} Yes that's absolutely right but the promotions might change at any time.

dmy
09-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Just one more thing....

When does the Innopocket Titanium case ship for it??

I had an aluminum case for my 2215, and it dented enough to scare the beejeebers out of me.

I moved to the titanium, and I don't worry about it.

Ryan Joseph
09-30-2004, 04:05 PM

Yes, except those are $200+ and look weird sticking out of the top of the unit. For two hundred bucks I could get a cool bluetooth cell phone to link the x50 to. Sigh. Decisions, decisions.

jpaq
09-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Here's an interesting thought.....

There are three models listed in this info.
Only one ends with the letter "v"
Could that "v" be for VGA?
Could that mean that the other two are NOT VGA?

Hmmmm???

:?

Edit: OK. Probably just stated the obvious here..... Sorry...

Deus
09-30-2004, 04:06 PM

Yes, except those are $200+ and look weird sticking out of the top of the unit. For two hundred bucks I could get a cool bluetooth cell phone to link the x50 to. Sigh. Decisions, decisions.

What cell carrier do you have

dmy
09-30-2004, 04:12 PM

Well.. I was going to suggest that... but then I thought that you wanted to handle the audio portion of the call through the PDA.... then again now that I think about it.... I got that part working between my 2215 and my Siemens S56 the other day.

D.

Ryan Joseph
09-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Well.. I was going to suggest that... but then I thought that you wanted to handle the audio portion of the call through the PDA.... then again now that I think about it.... I got that part working between my 2215 and my Siemens S56 the other day.

D.

This would all be made much easier if someone would just release a VGA Phone Edition. I thought I remembered reading a faint rumor about one a while back...does anyone know anything about it? The main issue is, of course, battery. I'm very interested to see how these VGA devices do with battery. Throw a GSM radio in there and it'll suck even more juice.

Oh, well. Someday we'll have that killer device. Someday we'll be able to do everything on one unit. Someday the world will be a brighter place. [thank you for listening to Ryan's Words of Wisdom.]

I use T-Mobile, by the way.

Kati Compton
09-30-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm a bit unhappy about no mention (that I've seen) of USB host for this, but that's not the end of the world.

My main concern with the Dell will be whether or not I can get a nice case for it that fits while it has the extended battery. The base battery just seems too skimpy to me. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think my X5 has a bigger battery and it's QVGA...

tthiel
09-30-2004, 04:42 PM
The old Dell is faster than the new 47XX...

[quote]Sorry for off topic, anyway, let's just see its how low price equals to its performance or quality.

entropy1980
09-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Anybody else notice that Oct. 10th is a Sunday? I am guessing we won't see the announcement until the 12th a Tuesday which seems much more likely!

Deus
09-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Anybody else notice that Oct. 10th is a Sunday? I am guessing we won't see the announcement until the 12th a Tuesday which seems much more likely!

A lot of people are home and surfing on Sundays. I think this is a great time for a web release. I will expect the website to show it on Sunday and the press release on Monday. Only time will tell. As long as we see it in the next week I don't care if they announce it on Tuewedthusnesday! :D

PJE
09-30-2004, 05:05 PM

A lot of people are home and surfing on Sundays. I think this is a great time for a web release. I will expect the website to show it on Sunday and the press release on Monday. Only time will tell. As long as we see it in the next week I don't care if they announce it on Tuewedthusnesday! :D

October 11th is Columbus Day (US) and Canadian Thanksgiving....

Therefore Open for business on October 12th... ;-)

johncruise
09-30-2004, 05:30 PM
I'm a bit unhappy about no mention (that I've seen) of USB host for this

I thought I'm the only one looking for this feature nowadays. Why can't manufacturers realize the full potential of having a USB hosting buit-in their PPCs? That's why I have little selections of PPC manufacturers right now. :(

Like what I said before, once you get hooked up on USB host feature on a PPC, there's no turning back (at least for me) :)

Boxster S
09-30-2004, 05:34 PM
I'm a bit unhappy about no mention (that I've seen) of USB host for this

I thought I'm the only one looking for this feature nowadays. Why can't manufacturers realize the full potential of having a USB hosting buit-in their PPCs? That's why I have little selections of PPC manufacturers right now. :(

Like what I said before, once you get hooked up on USB host feature on a PPC, there's no turning back (at least for me) :)

Might I ask WHY this is so important? You'd need drivers for the peripherals anyway.

What exactly MUST you have USB host for?

GoldKey
09-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Might I ask WHY this is so important? You'd need drivers for the peripherals anyway.

Specifically, I want to plug in my iRiver so that I can have mass storage for my PDA. This would allow me to copy pics from my cameras CF to the HD as well as carry a full inventory of movies to watch on my pda.

dangerwit
09-30-2004, 05:48 PM

It's very handy for folks who use things like USB memory sticks, multi-format card readers, or even USB harddrives. At the office, I get to play with industry-ready WME devices, and one of them has a mini-dock with a USB port on it. Snap it in, and I plugged in my USB HD, worked without a hitch (no drivers, etc.) Very handy for folks who carry that kind of equipment.

*Phil

Boxster S
09-30-2004, 05:51 PM

Specifically, I want to plug in my iRiver so that I can have mass storage for my PDA. This would allow me to copy pics from my cameras CF to the HD as well as carry a full inventory of movies to watch on my pda.

So...why not just get this:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10354778&loc=101&sp=1

Boxster S
09-30-2004, 05:53 PM

It's very handy for folks who use things like USB memory sticks, multi-format card readers, or even USB harddrives. At the office, I get to play with industry-ready WME devices, and one of them has a mini-dock with a USB port on it. Snap it in, and I plugged in my USB HD, worked without a hitch (no drivers, etc.) Very handy for folks who carry that kind of equipment.

*Phil

If you're hooking up a 6 ounce PDA to a hard drive, aren't you kind of defeating the purpose of having a PDA?

You guys talking about movies and such don't need a PDA, you need this:

http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2221

upplepop
09-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Here are some X50 specs from the aforementioned Aximsite thread:

Axim X50

Common Features:
Processor Type: Bulverde XScale Processor PXA270
Support for Dual Display
I/O Slots: 1 Secure Digital (SD/MMC/SDIO) Slot
1 Compact Flash Type II (CF) Slot
Infrared Standard v1.2 (115kbps)
Internal Microphone: Yes
Audio Out: 1 Speaker, 1 Stereo Headphone Jack (3.5mm)
Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth 1.2 class II
Operating System: Microsoft Windows MobileTM 2003 Second Edition with AKU2
Battery: Standard Battery 1100 mAh, Hi-Capacity Battery 2200 mAh
Dimensions: 119 x 73 x 15.9 mm (4.69 x 2.87 x 0.626 in.)
Weight: 140g / 4.9 oz

Low Configuration:
Price: $299
Marketing ID: Axim X50
Processor Speed: 416MHz
RAM Memory: 64MB
ROM Memory: 64MB
Display: 3.5" QVGA Transflective Touchscreen (TFT)
Graphics Companion Chip: No
802.11b: SDIO card only (CF not supported)
Synchronization Sync.: Cable Sync.

Middle Configuration:
Price: $399
Marketing ID: Axim X50
Processor Speed: 520MHz
ROM Memory: 128MB
Display: 3.5" QVGA Transflective Touchscreen (TFT)
Graphics Companion Chip: No
802.11b: Integrated
Synchronization Sync.: Cable Sync.

High Configuration:
Price: $499
Marketing ID: Axim X50v
Processor Speed: 624MHz
ROM Memory: 128MB
Display: 3.7" VGA Transflective Touchscreen (TFT)
Graphics Companion Chip: Intel 2700G (Marathon w/extended memory)
802.11b: Integrated
Synchronization Sync.: Cradle

gibson042
09-30-2004, 06:02 PM
This would all be made much easier if someone would just release a VGA Phone Edition. I thought I remembered reading a faint rumor about one a while back...does anyone know anything about it? The main issue is, of course, battery. I'm very interested to see how these VGA devices do with battery. Throw a GSM radio in there and it'll suck even more juice.
Faint is definitely the description for this rumor, but msmobiles threw out some speculation on the MDA IV (http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2823.html).

Ryan Joseph
09-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Here are some X50 specs from the aforementioned Aximsite thread...
High Configuration:

I find it very interesting that only the VGA version has a cradle. The others just have cables...? :?

Faint is definitely the description for this rumor, but msmobiles threw out some speculation on the MDA IV (http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2823.html).

Yes, I think that was it. It's good to know that this is possibly on the horizon. I'll get the x50 in October and then when the MDA IV finally reaches the US, I'll be ready for an upgrade anyway! Brilliant! :D

Boxster S
09-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Only 64MB RAM on the high-end VGA model?? I know that it has 128MB ROM, but ROM != RAM and using GPS software in heavily populated area with just 64MB of RAM = death.

Deus
09-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Yes, I think that was it. It's good to know that this is possibly on the horizon. I'll get the x50 in October and then when the MDA IV finally reaches the US, I'll be ready for an upgrade anyway! Brilliant! :D

ABSOLUTELY brilliant! ;)

I thought the high end was suppose to have 128MB ROM and 128MB RAM?

Well...I still want it but what happened to that? Are these specs you posted definate?

Kati Compton
09-30-2004, 07:27 PM

Specifically, I want to plug in my iRiver so that I can have mass storage for my PDA. This would allow me to copy pics from my cameras CF to the HD as well as carry a full inventory of movies to watch on my pda.[/quote]
Bingo. I can copy over the movie I want to watch, unless the caching works well enough that I can watch it directly off the drive w/o horrible battery drain.

Also, as an academic, I attend a few conferences, and am "session chair" here and there. Frequently that means I need to assemble the .ppt slides of my speakers into a single file, or I want to get them in advance so I can ask relevent questions if no one else has any. If I have a ppc that can read USB keys, these people can just bring me a key with their talk. I don't have to bring my laptop to every session.

Kati Compton
09-30-2004, 07:54 PM
If you're hooking up a 6 ounce PDA to a hard drive, aren't you kind of defeating the purpose of having a PDA?

I really don't like the Media Center interface, or at least the pictures I've seen of it. But that device would be bigger than HD MP3 player + PDA, and wouldn't provide all the PDA functionality I need. Could it be the 2nd device instead of a MP3 HDD player? Maybe. But the battery life I've seen so far for Media Player devices is atrocious and I believe they're far more expensive than an ipod or iRiver.

In my case, the music is the more important part, but I would like the occaisional movie.

PPCRules
09-30-2004, 07:55 PM
I know you guys are all looking forward to the 'high' model, but what's up with this?

Low Configuration:

SDIO card only (CF not supported) ???

As this was the model I was looking for, this bums me out greatly.

I suppose this is to add differentiation and push people to the mid model, but crippling the CF for one purpose scares me (Sony?); how am I sure it won't affect something else?

ricksfiona
09-30-2004, 08:01 PM
The X50 only has 64MB of RAM? Darn, and I thought the perfect PPC was here... Oh well, I guess I have to keep on waiting...

Theo
09-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey Jason & PPCT team,

Any chance of getting a few discount codes for us subscribers for this hardware? I feel a purchase on the way. :lol:

PS - don't forget us non-North American users when you talk with Dell.

Boxster S
09-30-2004, 08:20 PM

I really don't like the Media Center interface, or at least the pictures I've seen of it. But that device would be bigger than HD MP3 player + PDA, and wouldn't provide all the PDA functionality I need. Could it be the 2nd device instead of a MP3 HDD player? Maybe. But the battery life I've seen so far for Media Player devices is atrocious and I believe they're far more expensive than an ipod or iRiver.

In my case, the music is the more important part, but I would like the occaisional movie.

I mean seriously, how much music can you listen to in one sitting? :roll: I have 7GB of music on my PC for a total of 90 hours of music. Even with a 2GB card, you could go nearly day straight without hearing the same thing over again.

$140

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/778/10354778.jpg

upplepop
09-30-2004, 08:48 PM
I mean seriously, how much music can you listen to in one sitting? :roll: I have 7GB of music on my PC for a total of 90 hours of music. Even with a 2GB card, you could go nearly day straight without hearing the same thing over again.

$140

(Unnecessary big @$$ picture of a CF card)

Yes, Boxster S, we are all aware of the existance of 2GB CF cards :roll:
For many people, only carring around a few gigs of songs/media is not sufficient. How do you explain the enormous popularity of iPods and other 10+GB mp3 players? I'll tell you: it is because people want CHOICE. They don't want to be restricted to listening to just a few hundred songs... they want to be able to listen to any song in their collection at any time.

I, for one, am getting tired of having to refresh the songs that I have saved on my 1GB CF card every week or so.

johncruise
09-30-2004, 08:52 PM

*Phil

Depends on your application. Here is my setup:
+ at my car (http://www.johncruise.com/pocketpc/pocketpc-updates-archieve.php?updatefile=2004_03_01_blog.html#107967478686892516), I have my USB hard disk discreetly hidden and connected to my Casio E-200 (mounted to an Arkon cup mount) -- connected to the car speaker and I use that as my sound system.
+ at work (http://www.johncruise.com/pocketpc/btc-mini-kb.php), I hook up a USB keyboard and USB mouse so I can use it as an extension of my desktop where I just launch my ListPro and view my TODO list for the day there (aside from other lots of stuffs I used my PDA that I don't want to do on my desktop because my screen gets all cluttered up).

Other people may have other ways of using their USB enabled PPC.

GoldKey
09-30-2004, 09:01 PM

So...why not just get this:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10354778&loc=101&sp=1

2GB vs 40 GB
Have to buy vs already own

GoldKey
09-30-2004, 09:04 PM

*Phil

Not at all, most of the time they would not be connected. I would only hook them up to swap data.

The product you reference is a one trick pony. I already carry a PDA, and would still need one regardless of if I carried a PMP.

GoldKey
09-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Only 64MB RAM on the high-end VGA model?? I know that it has 128MB ROM, but ROM != RAM and using GPS software in heavily populated area with just 64MB of RAM = death.

I don't know what GPS you are using, but TomTom lets you store all the maps on a CF or SD card. If you had say USB host functionallity, you could carry the whole US on a HD and connect up at night at a hotel to transfer in what you might need.

GoldKey
09-30-2004, 09:13 PM

I want the variety. I have the complete contents of every CD I own on my iRiver and just set it to random shuffle. I don't have to think about connecting it to my computer to change the songs. I always have them all.

Deus
09-30-2004, 09:18 PM

$140

(Unnecessary big @$$ picture of a CF card)

Yes, Boxster S, we are all aware of the existance of 2GB CF cards :roll:
For many people, only carring around a few gigs of songs/media is not sufficient. How do you explain the enormous popularity of iPods and other 10+GB mp3 players? I'll tell you: it is because people want CHOICE. They don't want to be restricted to listening to just a few hundred songs... they want to be able to listen to any song in their collection at any time.
I, for one, am getting tired of having to refresh the songs that I have saved on my 1GB CF card every week or so.

Talk about a spoiled generation!!! lol hahahahaha

15 years from now..................."Boxter S:Why do we need 100 terabyte sd cards? upplepop:Because people dont want to watch just one of a thousand movies, then want access to any movie ever created!" hahahahahaah
:lol: :lol: :lol:

david291
09-30-2004, 09:45 PM
I know you guys are all looking forward to the 'high' model, but what's up with this?

Low Configuration:

SDIO card only (CF not supported) ???
OMG, you're kidding me. If this is also true of the higher models too, then this device is off my list. Yes, we would need to bypass the builtin wireless and use the CF slot instead. Dell may have lost a few dozen unit sales per week from just us alone.

Chris Leckness
09-30-2004, 10:09 PM

The X50 is being made by one of the companies that makes HPs as well.

DanielTS
09-30-2004, 10:20 PM
The X50 only has 64MB of RAM? Darn, and I thought the perfect PPC was here... Oh well, I guess I have to keep on waiting...

New chat session with Dell => RAM : 128 MB ; ROM : 128 MB :roll:
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=52518&page=4&pp=25

"
{Chris Johns 11:22:23 AM} [4162849828] Hi I was wondering if purchasing the X50v with 128MB of RAM (instead of the default 64MB) would be a possibility?
{Sharon 11:23:31 AM} Thank you for contacting Dell Consumer Customer Care Chat. My name is Sharon. Please allow me a moment to review your question.
{Sharon 11:26:02 AM} Yes,Chris it is possible to the X50v with 128MB of Ram.
{Sharon 11:26:11 AM} This is available with the 520 MHz and the 624 MHz models .
{Sharon 11:26:27 AM} Is there anything else I can assist you with?
{Chris Johns 11:27:30 AM} Ok. Are you sure it is 128MB of RAM and not 128MB of ROM. Because, as I understand the 624Mhz model will come with 128MB of ROM. So that would add to a total of 256MB of memory?
{Sharon 11:27:39 AM} Yes.
{Chris Johns 11:27:56 AM} Ok, great news! Thank you very much, Sharon. "

Deus
09-30-2004, 10:46 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

gtarent
09-30-2004, 11:45 PM

I want the variety. I have the complete contents of every CD I own on my iRiver and just set it to random shuffle. I don't have to think about connecting it to my computer to change the songs. I always have them all.

Ok... mayber its just me.... but if you have so much music on the Iriver, and the Iriver plays music, why do you need to bring it to the Pocket PC? Not downplaying your desire for a feature, just curious.

WyattEarp
10-01-2004, 12:28 AM
LOL. That axim thread is hilarious. People are bitching about $500 for Dell's high end model. What the heck people?!?!

It would seem that Dell customers (not all) don't like to pay much for anything even if it is already a bargin. $499 and their complaining, this is why companies like Dell get bigger and bigger and other companies that don't cut corners can't compete.

Boxster S
10-01-2004, 01:18 AM

I don't know what GPS you are using, but TomTom lets you store all the maps on a CF or SD card. If you had say USB host functionallity, you could carry the whole US on a HD and connect up at night at a hotel to transfer in what you might need.

There's a difference between storing maps on a SD/CF card (which I do), then watching the program load those maps into memory as it is navigating.

Try doing a point to point route through a heavily populated area like NY, NY to CT or MA and watch your GPS program give you an out of memory error (I know that Routis does for me).

Boxster S
10-01-2004, 01:19 AM

Ok... mayber its just me.... but if you have so much music on the Iriver, and the Iriver plays music, why do you need to bring it to the Pocket PC? Not downplaying your desire for a feature, just curious.

LOL, I just noticed that too. HAHAHAHA :lol:

Kati Compton
10-01-2004, 01:34 AM

$140

I have 22 GB of music (all purchased or ripped from my own CDs) on my PC. I don't always know what I'll want to listen to all day long. My mood might change during the day. I might be reminded of a song I want to hear. And if I'm *traveling*, I don't want to have to predict all music for my whole trip in advance.

I also don't want to listen to the music on a long flight on my PPC and deplete the battery. I've decided that for me, a separate HD music player is the way to go. So, if I have one, I'd like to be able to use it as a USB host. It isn't the most important thing in a PDA for me. But it'd be nice.

Boxster S
10-01-2004, 01:43 AM
I have 22 GB of music (all purchased or ripped from my own CDs) on my PC. I don't always know what I'll want to listen to all day long. My mood might change during the day. I might be reminded of a song I want to hear. And if I'm *traveling*, I don't want to have to predict all music for my whole trip in advance.

I also don't want to listen to the music on a long flight on my PPC and deplete the battery. I've decided that for me, a separate HD music player is the way to go. So, if I have one, I'd like to be able to use it as a USB host. It isn't the most important thing in a PDA for me. But it'd be nice.

OK, if you have a dedicated music player, what do you need a USB host on the PPC for?

If you want to listen to music, use the MP3 player. I don't understand where the PPC comes in... :?

Kati Compton
10-01-2004, 01:46 AM
OK, if you have a dedicated music player, what do you need a USB host on the PPC for?

If you want to listen to music, use the MP3 player. I don't understand where the PPC comes in... :?
So that IF I choose, I can copy a movie off the player to my PPC to watch. And so if I'm at a conference and a presenter gives me his or her presentation on a USB key, I don't need to run to my hotel room to get my laptop. What *I* don't understand is why you're so bothered by the way *I* want to use a PDA. The P is for Personal.

WyattEarp
10-01-2004, 03:08 AM

So that IF I choose, I can copy a movie off the player to my PPC to watch. And so if I'm at a conference and a presenter gives me his or her presentation on a USB key, I don't need to run to my hotel room to get my laptop. What *I* don't understand is why you're so bothered by the way *I* want to use a PDA. The P is for Personal.

Agreed. I also think the phrase "It's about choice" has been forgotten here. Everyone uses their PDA how and when they want. And that shouldn't be put under a microsope.

jagnon
10-01-2004, 04:26 AM
If you really need to have USB host, they have compact flash USB host cards..

gtarent
10-01-2004, 06:09 AM
What *I* don't understand is why you're so bothered by the way *I* want to use a PDA. The P is for Personal.

I can't speak for Boxster, but I cetainly wasn't trying to be a feature Nazi, was just curious about what you would use it for. I could have used a usb host ppc several months ago as I struggled to find a cable to connect my PPC to my cell phone. Since then I have gone the bluetooth route so no longer a necessity for me. What PPC's support USB hosting?

jasondearyou
10-01-2004, 07:22 AM
I am so $$#% confused as to what new VGA PPC to get now its mind bogleing.

I have a HP keyboard that went with my H22XX, but now I don't know if it would work with the H47XX if it doesn't then i'm inclined to buy either the dell X50V or the First Loox 720.

I am so :bad-words: :crazyeyes:

Please give some advice, as I don't want to make a mistake that I have to live with for at least a year or two.

Thanks guys.

Deus
10-01-2004, 03:08 PM
It so hard to give advice as to what device is best for soemone when we don't know how this person's likes, dislikes and how they use it. When it all comes down to it. Start with the basic Pros and Cons list. Iclude price in this. Then choose which one looks best. I do know people which skipped right to the "choose which one looks best" part and wound up very happy! ;)

Codone Jones
10-01-2004, 03:54 PM
can anyone explain a little more about the new graphics accelerator (chip)?? It obviously"accelerates graphics", but what does that mean as far as applications go? I can play Rome: Total War with no problem?? Just kidding, but does this means the ppc can play far more intense games, or the games we have just run smoother?? Is this enough to warrant the 499 price for the "high end"??

wbuch
10-01-2004, 04:27 PM
It so hard to give advice as to what device is best for soemone when we don't know how this person's likes, dislikes and how they use it. When it all comes down to it. Start with the basic Pros and Cons list. Iclude price in this. Then choose which one looks best. I do know people which skipped right to the "choose which one looks best" part and wound up very happy! ;)

That's a very good point. I've been fretting over which VGA PPC to get as well. But when I stop to think about it, I would really be happy with *any* of them. :)

Jason Lee
10-01-2004, 04:29 PM
I am so $$#% confused as to what new VGA PPC to get now its mind bogleing.

I have a HP keyboard that went with my H22XX, but now I don't know if it would work with the H47XX if it doesn't then i'm inclined to buy either the dell X50V or the First Loox 720.

I am so :bad-words: :crazyeyes:

Please give some advice, as I don't want to make a mistake that I have to live with for at least a year or two.

Thanks guys.

The port on the new 4700 is the same as the 2200 so the keyboard will work. However they may or may not need to tweak the drivers a bit. They shouldn't have to but you never know. So worst case you may have to wait a month or so before your keyboard will work but it will work. I would guess it will work without driver updates but that depends on how different SE is.

I'm in the same boat you are, I've always had HP/Compaq PPCs except for that Toshiba incident. ;) I would like to stick with HP for compatability reasons, ie. keyboards and cables. Plus all the neat third party toys come out first for HP. I know HP and i'm comfortable with HP. I have though long and hard about all the new VGA ppcs and the whole line of new ipaqs and i'm still not sure. I have a 2215 and love it. The new 3715 is exactly what i want except no CF or VGA. The 4700 is exactly what i want except no nevo. The loox and asus are great but i'm a bit leary of the brand and manufacuter and third party support. The new toshiba looks really nice too but it will probably never make it to the US. And the new dell looks really nice. There is also software compatability issues. I use Effy (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=X9A95CC6F35A1X42X5871934X1ACADX2&platformId=2&osId=318&siteId=1&productId=67585&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=effy) to add system wide support for japanese fonts. The program is VerY device specific so it will not work with any of the new devices at first and maybe only ever work with the HP...

So for now i guess it's just sit and wait... :(

Kati Compton
10-01-2004, 04:47 PM

LOL, I just noticed that too. HAHAHAHA :lol:
I think the point is that the music player is for music, and since he's carrying it *anyway*, he can use it as mass storage for his PDA instead of buying *yet another* flash card, which may not be big enough to hold everything he may want for his PDA anyway (ie, a selection of videos).

I really don't understand why people get so out of whack about how *other* people use their PDAs. Does it affect *your* everyday life if *we* use USB host functionality?

Is it really something worth "goating" over if you think you caught someone in a contradiction in what they want? I think Goldkey is pretty consistent in what he wants here, and I want the same thing. But so what if some desires *are* inconsistent. I want a 4" VGA screen but a device no bigger than a 4150. Big deal. I know it's probably physically impossible, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have it.

fuldhim
10-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Here are some X50 specs from the aforementioned Aximsite thread...
High Configuration:

I find it very interesting that only the VGA version has a cradle. The others just have cables...? :?

No, with the others, you'll have to buy the cradle separately. That's the way they sell the X30, too.

Given that the cradle is $34, it makes ponying up the extra $100 for the high-end model pretty much a no-brainer (if you were only deciding between it and the mid-level model, anyway).

Kati Compton
10-01-2004, 04:52 PM
What *I* don't understand is why you're so bothered by the way *I* want to use a PDA. The P is for Personal.

I can't speak for Boxster, but I cetainly wasn't trying to be a feature Nazi, was just curious about what you would use it for. I could have used a usb host ppc several months ago as I struggled to find a cable to connect my PPC to my cell phone. Since then I have gone the bluetooth route so no longer a necessity for me. What PPC's support USB hosting?
I didn't feel you were. Currently, the Toshibas do. Several of the upcoming PPCs (Asus, Fujitsu) will as well.

While I'd really like USB host, I'll probably end up with the Dell WITH extended battery if I can find a decent case for it. I'd get the Loox, but it's not easily available/supported here. I'd get the Asus, but it's probably much more expensive than the Dell, and I'm not sure the difference in price is worth the USB host. I'll compare again once the Dell is out.

Cybrid
10-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Uh! Why would you have your gps maps in your Ram? That's what sd/cf is for....

juttonn
10-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Uh! Why would you have your gps maps in your Ram? That's what sd/cf is for....

No, you don't put the gps maps in RAM, but you need a lot of free RAM for the PPC to access and process large data files (like GPS maps). For example, I have an HP 2215 with 64 MB of RAM (57 MB or so available to the user--me), I take a 5 megapixel jpeg photo with my digital camera that writes the picture, about a 2.5 MB file, onto a SD card. I take the SD card out of my camera and put it into my 2215 and open the photo on the PPC with Pocket Artist. As the photo opens, I get a message, "There is not enough memory available to to open this picture, would you like to open it at half resolution?" Now, I have about 25 MB of system memory available in RAM, and plenty of space on my SD card. The memory that my PPC doesn't have to be able to open and edit the photo at full resolution is RAM. That is, the memory needed for the system to process data.

The new PPC's that have an 80 MB file store and only 64 MB of RAM (the HP 47xx) and others with that type of configuration just don't make sense to me. I can add storage space to my device with a memory card (and I even have my choice of SD or CF!), so I don't really need a huge file store. I understand the data on the file store isn't erased if I have to do a hard reset or loose power, but that is also the case with a memory card. On the other hand, there is nothing that I can add to my PPC to increase the amount of system memory available to me(without physically opening up the unit and switching out memory chips and voiding the warranty and probably breaking the unit because I don't really know anything about doing any of that).

Other than a few key applications that I feel need to be installed in my PPC's main memory to function properly and reliably, I have installed everything to memory cards. Still I find myself longing for my RAM available to me. I hope that the memory specs are a typo and Dell gives us at least 128 MB of RAM on their high-end model; but for that, the x50 is the #1 candidate for my next PPC. If it only has 64 MB of RAM, I probably won't get it and opt for one of the other VGA PPCs.

Yuta
10-04-2004, 04:35 PM
I buyed the low level Axim X5 ($200) and was wating for the next generation with VGA.
I don't care about wireless or RAM or anything else. All I wanted was VGA!. :!: :!: :!:
I'd go for the mid level unit if I had to, but $500 it's too much for me.

I just don't undertand why nobody else is complaning. I mean other low budget guys as me. For me this is a deal breaker!!!.

Kati Compton
10-04-2004, 08:58 PM
I buyed the low level Axim X5 ($200) and was wating for the next generation with VGA.
I don't care about wireless or RAM or anything else. All I wanted was VGA!. :!: :!: :!:
I'd go for the mid level unit if I had to, but $500 it's too much for me.

I just don't undertand why nobody else is complaning. I mean other low budget guys as me. For me this is a deal breaker!!!.

I think because $500 for VGA is considered pretty good at the moment. Really, VGA in a PDA is *not* a budget item (at least for now) - it's a high-end thing. Even though it may not be the case for you, I think most users need the wireless or RAM more than they need VGA, so consequently the high-end VGA devices will have all of those features as well.

PPCRules
10-08-2004, 09:49 PM
X30s (package, that is) at 30% off this weekend. I'd guess they have something new to sell us come Tuesday.

Sven Johannsen
10-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Well, it appears the launch wasn't today. Guess it's two more days till the next rumored day.

I wanted to comment on something discussed a bit earlier. The HP keyboard and connector. While the old 2215/4155 connector is the same as the new HPs, the bottom of the old HPs is rounded and the new ones squared off. The keyboard connector is curved to fit the 2215/4155 curve. You can file the bumps off, but at that point, you own it. A friend did this to try it on his rx3715 and it fit fine, after mod. Drivers did not work though. He now has a keyboard he can't return and is stuck waiting for drivers.