View Full Version : How to remove PI from 4700

jimski
09-29-2004, 04:34 PM
I know that Pocket Informant was going to be bundled with the new hx4700, but I did not realize that it was going to be imbeded into the device.

No offense to PI users out there (I am already a licensed user) but I spent several weeks working with both PI and Agenda Fusion and after all the votes were in I determined that AF was a better match for me.

I have only had my device for about 15 minutes, but if I can't remove/disable this app it may just have to go back.

It does not appear in add remove programs and although I have not cradled it yet, I assume there will not be a way to remove it through Active Sync.

Any ideas, anyone? :(

Darius Wey
09-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Wow. If PI is indeed embedded within the ROM, I'm sure it will annoy those that don't particularly like the product.

Jason Dunn
09-29-2004, 04:58 PM
If it's in ROM you can't uninstall it, but you can ignore it...unless you're saying that it's the default for contacts and you can't use whatever program you want? That would be very strange if that were the case. :?

Kati Compton
09-29-2004, 05:02 PM
I know you prefer AF, and that this may not be an ideal solution (or even necessarily completely possible), but...

Given how configurable PI is, is there a way to MAKE it work more like what you like in AF? Maybe by playing with the settings a bit? There might be some help about this over at the WebIS forums...

Is there specific functionality / design that you feel that PI isn't currently giving you that AF does?

Darius Wey
09-29-2004, 05:16 PM
I think feature-wise, they're pretty much on par with each other.

A lot of the differences are in the interface itself. Some people think the AF interface looks better, while others think the PI interface looks better. It really depends on the person.

jimski
09-29-2004, 05:18 PM
I have not tried loading AF on the device yet, but for example PI is in the Start menu and I can't see any way to remove it. Not from Menus or File Explorer.

Regarding trying to get used to PI, I have a problem with anyone telling me what I have do do, "WHEN I PAY FOR IT" :twisted: . I don't have to use File Explorer (use Resco instead) and I don't have to use Windows Media Player (use other third party apps) and I don't even have to use the built-in PIM's on any older PPC as both PI and AF sit on top and hide them from view. I can hide/remove icons from menus even if I can't remove the app entirely, I don't have to know that it's there.

HP has apparantly chosen to make PI the default PIM for the 4700 (althought the Microsoft defaults are still accessible) and I applaud them for that, but there are many options out there, in addition to PI and AF. Some people may even prefer the Microsoft built-in PIM :roll:, and that should be their choice.

Over time I may be able to get used to PI, but why should I have to.

Kati Compton
09-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Over time I may be able to get used to PI, but why should I have to.
I'm not saying you have to. I'm saying that you may want to consider trying to make PI work for you the way AF does, since it's in ROM already and installing AF will take up more space.

As for PI being in the Start menu... It's really not a shortcut in My Device -> Windows -> Start Menu?

Weird.

jimski
09-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Just checked the manual and all I can do is prevent PI from working with the launch buttons (this is what they consider disabling the app) but there is no way to hide/remove it.

I also just scanned the supplied CD and can't find any reference to PI, so I guess it is somehow imbedded (a hard reset won't work). I wonder how/if you wll even be able to upgrade this version of PI. BTW, the version is: Pocket Informant HP, Ver 5,0,4,5.

Darius Wey
09-29-2004, 05:34 PM
This may sound trivial, but can you update your current PI to the latest version, and then uninstall it and hope it reverts back to the default Windows Mobile PIM interface?

Jason Dunn
09-29-2004, 05:53 PM
I have not tried loading AF on the device yet, but for example PI is in the Start menu and I can't see any way to remove it. Not from Menus or File Explorer.

Look in the windows/start menu folder - you can delete/move the shortcut there.

I don't mean to discount your problem, but it's really not a big deal - programs come in ROM all the time that I don't use, and I simply ignore them. It's not like it's taking up valuable space that you could use for something else. Remove the shortcut on the start menu, re-map the buttons to whatever you want, and that's it - you're done. ;-)

jimski
09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Sorry if I overreacted just a bit :oops: I have just been waiting so long for a device like this, I wanted everything to be just right. Regarding the Start Menu, I mistook the recent open apps (I am new to WM2003SE) for imbedded apps on the menu. PI is not there as I earlier thought it was.

I am still not excited about a third party app being embedded on the device (now I have MS default PIM + PI) but I will learn to live with it.

Thanks to all for your patience and interest.

fishfuzz
09-29-2004, 10:56 PM
How is PI any different than the games, etc that get preloaded on your device? I guess I'm just curious as to why this seems to getting your goat (from a concerned PPC cohort - no rudeness intended).

If you install AF onto your device, PI won't run. PI isn't taking up any extra space (as it's part of the ROM) unless you install a future upgrade. As far as hiding it: delete the icons.

The upgrade process, as I mentioned, will take up part of your RAM (it's been tested with PI's beta group) - but that would be the case whether you installed a PI upgrade or AF.

Unfortunately, with any electronic device (look at the Moto. v710 as a prime example), nothing will ever be "just right". Personally, I don't like the size, look, or configuration of these new HPs - so if I want to upgrade from my non-VGA device (2215), I just have to wait. :|

Darius Wey
10-01-2004, 04:01 AM
How is PI any different than the games, etc that get preloaded on your device? I guess I'm just curious as to why this seems to getting your goat (from a concerned PPC cohort - no rudeness intended).

I guess it's just the thought of it being there and you can't get rid of it.

A bit like me and Microsoft Paint. :lol: