View Full Version : C# with Eclipse

gandi
09-29-2004, 03:59 PM
I am about to rewrite a little application of mine in a more native Windows-language (coming from Java) as I need some extra-performance on Windows-desktops. Whilst planning this change I decided to go for C# as this is supposed to be easy to learn for programmers coming from Java.
Having this decision in mind I thought it would be nice to implement a version for mobile devices (read: Pocket PC / MS-SmartPhones) as well - starting right from the beginning.

However, as this is going to be a private project I cannot afford buying VisualStudio .NET 2003. Eclipse is the IDE of choice for me. There is a even a plug-in for C# so I can write my code without a hassle from within Eclipse - all fine.

Nevertheless, after looking for some books fitting my issues I found that there is quite a lot of stuff out there regarding C# and VisualStudio but nothing about Eclipse or native C# programming (without VisualStudio) for PocketPC devices.
That's how I came here to ask if someone already made progress with Eclipse and the compact framework. It would be great if you could tell me whether or not this constellations works at all and what kind of experiences you made with it. Recommendations on what book could ideal for me would be appreciated as well. :)

manywhere
09-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Programming C# by Jesse Liberty (O'Reilly) is one that I can recommend. It is not mainly directed towards Compact .NET Framework but its bigger brother: .NET Framework. It is nontheless a good book for Java developers to start with, as differences in the two languages are listed through out the book. In general the book learns you the basics of C# and the more advanced techniques as well. ;)

Don Sorcinelli
09-29-2004, 08:56 PM
While it is possible to develop a C# application for the desktop using Eclipse, it currently is not possible to do so for a Windows Mobile application. The reason - there is no standalone .NET Compact Framework SDK. It is only included as part of Visual Studio.NET 2003 Professional or higher.

There are some alternatives in the pipeline to consider. Back in May, Jonothan Wells posted in his MSDN blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/onoj/archive/2004/05/01/124609.aspx) that a separate .NET Compact Framework SDK will exist for the .NET CF 2.0. At that time, the possibility would exist (although I am not sure about the logisitics for implementation for proper co-existence within Eclipse will pan out). In addition, VS.NET 2005 Standard Edition (significantly less expensive than the Professional Edition) will include Windows Mobile development capabilities.

DonS

gandi
09-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Programming C# by Jesse Liberty (O'Reilly) [...]
Thanks a lot for that tip. Sounds great.
However, on Amazon there is stated that he is a former C++ programmer and that this book is showing how to do things with VS .NET? :/

[...] The reason - there is no standalone .NET Compact Framework SDK. [...]
Thanks for the advice. I somehow took that SDK for PocketPCs for the CF .NET SDK. Well, it is not.
Nevertheless, I almost forgot that there are those neat Express Versions of each VisualStudio Component. That might come in handy with CF .NET when the Eclipse-PlugIn shows up to be not satisfying.

Well, having that point cleared out I am afraid I have to postpone the whole project. :(
Nevertheless, I can start playing with C# at work somehow.

manywhere
09-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks a lot for that tip. Sounds great.
However, on Amazon there is stated that he is a former C++ programmer and that this book is showing how to do things with VS .NET? :/

You are welcome. :)

He does show how to do some small things with VS .NET but it is not the main focus of the book. He shows certain web application examples and some form designs in VS .NET. It is basically nothing that you can code yourself without VS but it might be a bit harder defining coordinates for the controls. ;)

Don Sorcinelli
09-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Nevertheless, I almost forgot that there are those neat Express Versions of each VisualStudio Component. That might come in handy with CF .NET when the Eclipse-PlugIn shows up to be not satisfying.
Unfortunately, none of the VS.NET 2005 Express Editions will have the .NET CF as part of the toolset. The least expensive option for .NET CF development with Visual Studio.NET will be the Standard Edition.

DonS

gandi
10-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Sheesh. They surely know how to put hurdles into someones path. :|

manywhere
10-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Unfortunately, none of the VS.NET 2005 Express Editions will have the .NET CF as part of the toolset. The least expensive option for .NET CF development with Visual Studio.NET will be the Standard Edition.

Won't the .NET CF SDK be available seperately? 8O