View Full Version : I am off the Pocket PC bandwagon...

Zero101
09-29-2004, 11:52 AM
I recently had an epiphany about my pocket pc:

I primarily have a Pocket PC for three things:

- PIM functions
- Games
- Media player (music, movies, etc...)

But it really only does one of those functions well... and that's the PIM capability. Unfortunately... the PIM capability alone isn't great, because I don't always have my PDA with me.

Yes it plays games well enough... but my GBA plays them better, and with the purchase of a DS (http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=6a6f583d-1711-47be-b03c-d64d6bdd1d66) on the horizon, having a PDA for games seems silly.

And yes, it can play media... with my 2gig hard drive, I can play movies and music. But, my ipod is much more convenient for playing music, and I only watch movies on my PDA during plane trips... and I have to assume theres a better way to watch movies on a plane.

In the end, I realized I was really just trying to turn my PDA into a make-shift computer. I wanted a small device that could play media, surf the web, and play games. And really... I only needed those features while traveling.

I need PIM functions all the time, but I don't get them all the time because I don't carry my PDA all the time.

So... the one function that my PDA can do well, it doesn't do well, because it's too big to carry all the time... and the functions it doesn't do all that well only get used rarely anyways. So what's the point of having it?

I decided to go in a different direction.

Yesterday I bought a Sony TR3AP1 (http://tinyurl.com/6ovmp) notebook PC. It's small enough that I can use it to watch movies on a plane trip, and it gets 7 hours of battery life. I can use it for web surfing while traveling too, since it has built in wireless and ethernet. It's a perfect little travel pc... and the only real comprimise I have to make is the screen size (whic is still much bigger and muuuch higher resolution than a PDA).

Next, I am going to get either a Palm or Windows Mobile smartphone. I don't care what OS it has, because I only want it for it's PIM capabilties. Since I always have my phone on me... this makes more sense for a PIM. Doesn't really do me a lot of good if it's never on me, right?

So there you go... no more pocket pc. The thing that initially drew me to the device (that it could do so many things) eventually was also it's downfall. Yes, it can do many things.... but there are many things that can do them better.....

Darius Wey
09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
R.I.P. Pocket PC. :cry:

Which device did you have by the way?

gtarent
09-29-2004, 12:51 PM
I can understand the attraction of a smart phone, since I own a Nokia 6600, and I love it, but I like the combination of phone and Ipaq since data entry in the phone bites in a major way. I still appreciate the versitilty of my Ipaq and phone. Sure an Ipod plays music better, but I don't carry an Ipod with me to my sons Orthodontist appointment., nor do I bring a gameboy adance to work, so no gaming at lunch unless I have my trusty Ipaq. When I have to travel light I have the Nokia as a simple calender and task manager (and even email/im client.

ignar
09-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Unfortunately... the PIM capability alone isn't great, because I don't always have my PDA with me.

I think that summarized why you find PDA is not quite useful for you. I carry my iPaq wherever I go. Work, travel, shopping, gym, dining, etc. I have a Panasonic W2 laptop (which is acually even lighter than Sony tr), GBA SP, and Nokia 6620 smartphone. But, I still find great use out of my iPaq, and actually I'm considering upgrading my laptop to a larger, more powerful, and heavier one since my iPaq pretty much meets my on-the-go computing needs. But again, if you don't like carrying your PDA all the time, and PIM is only thing what you really need, your decision on going for lightweight laptop with a smartphone will work. Good luck.

gvanjr
09-30-2004, 11:12 AM
I recently had an epiphany about my pocket pc:

I primarily have a Pocket PC for three things:

- PIM functions
- Games
- Media player (music, movies, etc...)

But it really only does one of those functions well... and that's the PIM capability. Unfortunately... the PIM capability alone isn't great, because I don't always have my PDA with me.

Yes it plays games well enough... but my GBA plays them better, and with the purchase of a DS (http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=6a6f583d-1711-47be-b03c-d64d6bdd1d66) on the horizon, having a PDA for games seems silly.

And yes, it can play media... with my 2gig hard drive, I can play movies and music. But, my ipod is much more convenient for playing music, and I only watch movies on my PDA during plane trips... and I have to assume theres a better way to watch movies on a plane.

In the end, I realized I was really just trying to turn my PDA into a make-shift computer. I wanted a small device that could play media, surf the web, and play games. And really... I only needed those features while traveling.

I need PIM functions all the time, but I don't get them all the time because I don't carry my PDA all the time.

So... the one function that my PDA can do well, it doesn't do well, because it's too big to carry all the time... and the functions it doesn't do all that well only get used rarely anyways. So what's the point of having it?

I decided to go in a different direction.

Yesterday I bought a Sony TR3AP1 (http://tinyurl.com/6ovmp) notebook PC. It's small enough that I can use it to watch movies on a plane trip, and it gets 7 hours of battery life. I can use it for web surfing while traveling too, since it has built in wireless and ethernet. It's a perfect little travel pc... and the only real comprimise I have to make is the screen size (whic is still much bigger and muuuch higher resolution than a PDA).

Next, I am going to get either a Palm or Windows Mobile smartphone. I don't care what OS it has, because I only want it for it's PIM capabilties. Since I always have my phone on me... this makes more sense for a PIM. Doesn't really do me a lot of good if it's never on me, right?

So there you go... no more pocket pc. The thing that initially drew me to the device (that it could do so many things) eventually was also it's downfall. Yes, it can do many things.... but there are many things that can do them better.....Bye...

Kowalski
09-30-2004, 11:19 AM
if i were you, i would do the same thing, i would use a smartphone, and still can listen to mp3, use PIM functions

JustinGTP
10-01-2004, 03:37 AM
Each to his own.

For me, my combination of a Sony Ericsson T637, a HP iPaq 2215 and a Dell C600 Laptop, works perfecttly.

I use my PPC for games, PIM, shopping lists, WiFi, BT for phone, etc.

-Justin.

Thinkingmandavid
10-01-2004, 04:15 AM
Too bad you are leaving the ppc world.
I have gone without my ppc only because I had to not by choice. I use it everyday and I take it with me everywhere I go. Alarms help me to remember things and it is good to look up things in a snap. I am getting a keyboard for work and grad school.

I love using a laptop and soon will be purchasing another one but I do not see a laptop replacing the mobility and convenience of my ppc. ppc is small for everywhere usage.

I can understand if you need a "middle device" which is what it sounds to me. For me it is a Fujitsu P1000. Sonyhas a nice small notebook as you mentioned, but it would still be too much for me to carry around in my market for work purposes.

I do not know to what extent you used it at first, but for me the smart phone will have its limitations compared to a ppc.

Are you suggesting you will never again need the power of a ppc?
DJ Apod wrote

Which device did you have by the way?
Why not go with a small and simple ppc such as an Ipaq 1945 or 1910?

STW
10-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Those light mobile laptops with good battery life look really compelling to me too, and I might consider switching if I carried a briefcase all the time to that I wouldn't have to decide every day whether it was worth carrying it--just keep it in the brief case all the time.

But I ride a bicycle to work and use it around town for errands, seeing clients, etc., and my 1945/SD card plus keyboard allows me to do a lot of work and write documents, in a package that's only a few ounces, rugged, and small enough that I carry it all the time in my bag and never regret having it along even if I don't use it for more than PIM functions.

If those small laptops prove to be really light, quick-starting, sturdy, and handle being bounced around in a bag (in a good padded case of course), then it might be a better option. But still one advantage of my 1945/SD/keyboard is that the total cost is a little under $400, and that's bad enough to be carrying around all the time--carrying a $1500-3000? mini-laptop all the time would feel different and require a lot more concern and focus for me. The forgetability of a mobile set up is an advantage I like.

--Mitch

SteveHoward999
10-02-2004, 12:01 AM
I need PIM functions all the time, but I don't get them all the time because I don't carry my PDA all the time...

Seems like a bit of a contrradiction. You know you need it all the time but don't carry it all the time. What makes you so sure you would use the laptop better?

It also seems like you have not discovered all the other 'essential' uses other people find for their PDAs. The most used apps for me are MS Reader and Internet Explorer (coupled with AvantGo), but I use my E750 for GPS, movies, music, radio, note-taking, PIM, email, reading documents (Word, Acrobat), Excel, PIM ... etc etc. I cannot imagine not carrying a PDA or similar device.

griph
10-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Unfortunately... the PIM capability alone isn't great, because I don't always have my PDA with me.

Really? Mine RARELY leaves my side. It wakes me in the morning - is my Alarm Clock, Diary, Contacts, Calculator, Book - just for starters! The PIM capability is great - its just you dont use it! 8O

Deslock
10-02-2004, 03:29 AM
I have a Panasonic W2 laptop (which is acually even lighter than Sony tr)
I really enjoy using my W2... it's amazing (equally impressive are the R3 (http://www.dynamism.com/r3/index.shtml) and Y2 (http://www.dynamism.com/y2/index.shtml)).

Anyway, I can understand where this guy is coming from as I've considered going to a smartphone myself. But dammit so many cool PDAs keep coming out and my techno-lust is to strong to resist. Plus, nowadays you can get a small, 4.x ounce PDA with a fast CPU and wifi... that's small enough to carry anywhere.

Zero101
10-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Seems like a bit of a contrradiction. You know you need it all the time but don't carry it all the time. What makes you so sure you would use the laptop better?

It also seems like you have not discovered all the other 'essential' uses other people find for their PDAs. The most used apps for me are MS Reader and Internet Explorer (coupled with AvantGo), but I use my E750 for GPS, movies, music, radio, note-taking, PIM, email, reading documents (Word, Acrobat), Excel, PIM ... etc etc. I cannot imagine not carrying a PDA or similar device.

First of all... you are missing a big part of the equation:
The notebook is not replacing the PIM functionality of the PDA. That would make no sense.... if I am not willing to carry a PDA all the time, why would a 3lb notebook fix the problem?
Instead, I am switching to a small smartphone, which can replace the cellphone I always carry already. It can do the PIM functions, and even some of the other features you find so necessary.

I received my new notebook earlier this week. So far, it's great. Very nice and small, and the screen is gorgeous. I feel kinda silly about getting giddy over the new VGA PDA's, when this thing does 1280x768 on a 10" widescreen. Surfing the web and watching DVD's is blissfull.

I still haven't picked up the smartphone yet. I am debating on which device to get still. The Sprint i600 looks very nice, but so does the new Treo....

*shrug* I will buy one soon, and update this thread with my status, and any pitfalls I have encountered by leaving the safe confines of the PPC world. :mrgreen:

Zero101
10-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Just a quick update:

I bought my smartphone today... a refurbed Treo 300 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1003728&sku=L420-1050).

Yeah, I could have gone with the cooler Samsung i500, i600 or Treo 600 phones.... but it kinda defeats the purpose of the basic pim capabilities that I need. (or, at least... think I need)

The Treo 300 is $99, has Palm OS, and does everything I need and a little more. The only downside is it's size.. but I think I can get over it. It's still smaller than my iPaq, and it will be replacing an existing cellphone, so it won't be a problem carrying it around with me.

I have to admit though... I am not looking forward to using Hotsync again. Not the best software ever created... :roll:

I am really trying to stick to the original model that I laid out...

Basic PIM functions with me at all times in a device I need to carry with me anyways (my phone). The fact that I can load a couple of games on it, and can surf the web are nice bonuses. That's really all I need on a daily basis.

On those occasions that I am away from my home for more than a day or two, I can take my ultra-portable Sony TR notebook. Which is powerful enough to do everything I need (Word, email, Powerpoint, Photoshop.. whatever...), and small enough that I can whip it out for a couple of movies on a long plane flight.

ignar
10-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Treo 300 is not bad. I had used it for about a year before I upgraded to Treo 600 and actually I found 300 was easier to carry around than 600. 600 almost requires a case to protect its exposed screen while 300 has a nice built in flip cover. Also 300 is light which is important for someone who carries it in his pants pocket. Featurewise, of course, 300 can't match 600, but in its own, it's a decent basic Palm with a good enough phone feature, and I really liked it when I had it.

Now, some bad things about 300. :twisted:
First, the flip cover will fall off. It's a known problem and no matter how you are careful, the cover will eventually fall off. It did happen to mine after 10 months and I got a replacement. Hope you have a good warranty on yours. Second, battery life is bad. If you talk a lot or use internet often, it will not last a full day. Lastly, it doesn't have an expansion slot. Once my 300 was hard reset when I travelled and I lost all my appointments and contact information. I really wished I had had a backup on the memory card. And, yes, 300 is not the most reliable palm and it does get hard reset once in a while.

frankenbike
10-05-2004, 08:45 AM
One interesting feature of wisdom, which usually comes with either being especially perceptive or you just get old enough to have heard it all, is that you figure out that something you think is the perfect solution for yourself, isn't the perfect solution for others.

If someone finds it practical to have a bunch of specialized devices that each do something really well, or larger devices that aren't compromized for size, it makes no sense having a compromised device just because it is small.

I hope it all works out.