View Full Version : Batteries Causing Screen Cracks?

Darius Wey
02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/zune-screens-cracking-from-battery-pressure/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/zune-screens-cracking-from-battery-pressure/</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;Interesting news on the Zune front: a friendly tipster's buddy works at a Microsoft call center and handles Zune-related issues. Apparently they've received numerous reports of the Zune screen cracking for no apparent reason, after being left charging overnight. Our tipster's friend conjectures that the lithium ion battery -- which resides right behind the top half of the Zune's screen -- is expanding from overheating and putting too much pressure on the screen, causing it to crack. Unfortunately, Microsoft currently regards the issue as outside warranty coverage, leaving the victims with a broken Zune and nowhere to turn.</em><br /><br />A quick skim of the Engadget comments sees many Zune users leaving their devices charging overnight with no problems whatsoever, so it's tempting to tag this whole story as &quot;nasty rumour slash scam&quot;. Although, if you're one of the few who have reported cracking screens to Microsoft, we'd sure like to hear from you.

David Tucker
02-01-2007, 09:00 PM
They probably need to check the corner of the zune too...probably damage there too from the fall. ;)

Jason Dunn
02-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm pretty dubious about this whole thing and am trying to look into it more...

smegmanufo
02-01-2007, 11:50 PM
I have left mine charging overnight many times without incident. Mine also never seems to be that warm after an extended time charging. I personally have no idea what their problem could stem from.

grommet
02-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Not to mention... the battery is NOT directly behind the screen. It's actually toward the back of the case, behind the core electronics.

NPrtmn4evr
02-02-2007, 12:53 AM
I've left my Zune charging overnight with no problems, although you can tell that the Zune feels a little warm. I would hope that this is just some people trying to pull off a scam to replace their Zune and not an actual issue, especially if it's not covered by warranty

aitrusskyy
02-04-2007, 06:34 AM
That story is a LIE and a SPOOF....

Some guy decided to dissprove the theory by taking his ZUNE apart...

heres the link...

http://www.iwantapinkzune.com/?p=122

Original story goes something like ""A friend of mine who works for microsoft zune tech support said they are getting a lot of calls about a screen cracking issue. When people charge their Zunes the battery which is located on the TOP HALF of the screen heats up and expands therefore cracking the screen""

Key phrase in the story is "Battery is located behind TOP HALF of the ZUNE SCREEN"

Another thing, Lithion Ion Batteries actually cool when charging and dont gain heat...
They only gain HEAT when DISCHARGING or being USED....

It was probably just some story a Zune hating Ipodlover posted to start a rumor...

apathymusic
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I've never felt my Zune produce any "heat." Not when charging through USB or the AC adaptor. I don't see how the screen would crack so easily. This has got to be a hoax. I'm hoping Microsoft would have done enough tests to ensure this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

cbsmile
02-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Ok, it may not be from the battery, but it does happen, and NO I did not drop it ..the zune was sitting on a desk....and Microsoft will not repair, will not replace...so I'm posting my story on every bulletin board, writing to anyone I can...cuz not replacing the zune is the ********...so if there is a small batch of zunes with the problem replace them...repair sent me a box to send the zune back on Jan 10th..so now on Feb 6 i get the zune back with the LETTER...damage not caused by malfunction of the zune itself...this type of damage excluded form the limited warranty....in addiion the extent of the damage to the zune causes it to be not economically feasible to repair....

so if all of you who are lucky enough to have a zune without this problem would stop saying its a lie, those of us who do have this problem may be able to get our zunes replaced...i say mine when it is really my 13 yr olds who used all her babysitting money and christmas money to buy this...

armani96
02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
zunescene.com (http://www.zunescene.com) (one of the sites listen on the official zune.net)

"Engadget's Hot Rumor Dismissed

http://www.zunescene.com/battery2.jpg
A recent article (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/zune-screens-cracking-from-battery-pressure/) from Engadget.com has many Zune owners concerned about thermal expansion of the battery causing the Zune screen to crack. Although no photos were provided by Engadget, the article suggests this happens when the Zune is left charging overnight. To shed a little light on the subject we've taken a photo of the Zune guts from the side. The battery is clearly thinner than the hard drive.
"
***post edited by moderator JD - other sites wouldn't appreciate you re-publishing their content here, please just put a link to the story so people can go read it. thanks!***

rholt
02-21-2007, 06:24 PM
my son's zune screen (the inner LCD screen) just cracked last week on his zune. this was on the replacement zune on which the LCD screen had done the SAME THING. both zunes were in NEW condition - no bumps, chips, scratches. both happened when it was being carried, not charging. i don't usually write to these "threads" but if no one does, you may all be thinking that all this is, is a hoax or maybe just happening to one person.
my son loved the sound & the video of the zune, but now would just like his money back.

cathe
03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
My zune screen cracked. I left it plugged in overnight and when I went to my desk, it was hot! I looked at the screen and it has a crack in it. It's on the left side and has a starburst pattern in it.

I lovee the zune idea, hate the device!

Jason Dunn
03-22-2007, 06:03 AM
I'm hearing more and more about these problems, and frankly it's a little worrying - I wonder how many people have had this problem? :eek: