View Full Version : My new ipaq 4700

tgetchell
09-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Hey folks, just found this group, instrumental in helping me find a working divx player for my ipaq so thought I would return the favor with a quick impressions of my new ipaq 4700 for any of you interested in this new unit. I put my 4700 on order with hp as soon as they were taking orders, ship date to be in mid October, but one morning last week, found it on my front porch! Joy! Had to wait to that evening to play with it, had to work. Anyway, just a couple days into it but this unit is even more than I had hoped for. Beautifully put together and while i feared it would be "bulky" anythinng but, nice, slime and very usable. The 4.0 inch VGA screen is absolutely stunning!!! can't get over it when i turn it on. 2003 se is solid and capabilities like landscape orientation at the hit of a button (i mean hit of a button, no lag, no haslle) in any application is handy and welcome. Just as a test i ripped some dvd files (very high bit rate) that i run on my desktop into 253k chunks so it would fit on a SD card I have. Downloaded a divx player and damn, watching a movie like on the desktop or TV, great sound, great video no skipping or hopping, little if any audio out of sync. (will knock down the bit rate a bit for next trial) but imagine, running a high bit rate desktop intended divx video (straigh divx, no pocket pc translation) on this pocket pc with the only limit the size of your SD or CF card with great stereo sound) wow. Having tried to watch divx or pocket pc dvd conversions on my ipaq 3900 (a frustrating experience at best) I was simply blown away with what the 4700 can do. I have used my Archos 320 for the last year for video, won't have to pack around an extra unit while traveling any more, but will have to invest in some high capacity media.

Well, wrapping up, if you are looking for the next generation of a pocket pc, i don't know abou the others but have seen none other than ipaq with the 624mx cpu and that will be important if you want to run videos etc. Very happy with this unit, expensive 6.5 bucks, but finally a pocket pc that lives up to the promise we all hopped for 10 years ago.

Cheers all

Thom

Fishie
09-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Those of us who have had a Toshiba e800/805 were able to play VGA DiVX/XViD files at a bitrate of 1800kbs and sound stream of 256kbs ogg vorbis as long as a year ago.

From what I understand the performance of this Ipaq is still below that of a 400MHz Toshiba running myVGA and regular Win Mobile 2k3

Fishie
09-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Oh BTW, congrats on the new Ipaq.

maximus
09-27-2004, 01:31 AM
From what I understand the performance of this Ipaq is still below that of a 400MHz Toshiba running myVGA and regular Win Mobile 2k3

Hmm. Where are those hp lawyers when you need one ? :mrgreen: :p

tgetchell
09-27-2004, 03:00 AM
Well Fishe, yea, i've had my eye on the toshibas, they looked very tasty, did not have the opportunity to try one however, was stuck in the ipaq world. If the toshiba of last year was that good, what will the new toshiba's be like? Likely awsome. Oh well, I'm a happy camper, if not a wiser one, and my wallet is a little smaller. If your running videos of that bit rate on last years Toshiba, well I missed the boat, will give Toshiba a try next time around.

Cheers

T.

Fishie
09-27-2004, 03:12 AM
Prolly not, the performance hit stems from Second Edition mostly, that and Toshiba seems to have exited the US market for now.