View Full Version : People with iMate II

stsanford
09-25-2004, 01:56 PM
I am thinking of picking up an iMate III, but in looking at the iMate II that's already out, I see that the specifications are virtually identical:

128MB Memory
400MHz processor
WM2003

I had a T-Mo PPC Phone Edition (HTC / XDA) and it was cool, but slow and locked up a lot.

Does the iMate II XDA II lock up, respond slowly, loose it's connection to cell coverage often? If you were me, would you wait for the III or just get the II.

Thanks for your input!

surur
09-25-2004, 03:54 PM
The xda 2 (imate) is amongst the fastest 400Mhz ppc's around. The phone works well, and it is quite a good device.

The xda IIs (imate 2k) is a significant upgrade to the xda 2 in functionality. It has wifi and a built-in keyboard, in addition to bluetooth, and also the widdcomm PE bluetooth stack, which is miles better than the microsoft stack on the xda 2. Also its a WM 2003 SE device, while the xda 2 (imate) will always be a Wm2003 device.

If you already had an xda 2 there is not significant value in upgrading, but if you are buying for the first time, the xda IIs (imate 2k) is the one to wait for (out in 2-3 weeks).

Of course the xda II is thinner and lighter than the device with the integrated keyboard. O2 intends to release an upgraded XDA 2i, which has a faster 520MHz processor and better 1.3 Megapixel camera, but no wifi, keyboard and no widdcom stack. Also it will only be available next year.

Its a very difficult decision currently, but I would go for the new XDA IIs (Imate 2k) out in a few weeks, as the most functional device.

Surur

stsanford
09-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks Surur,
I appreciate the fedback. I was about 90% certain that I would go the PDA2K / iMate III route. Just one question, how much heavier than the T-Mo PPC Phone would you guess the new PDA would be. I imagine with the Keyboard and all, it would be a bit heavier and thickier, which is fine, but I don't want to be carrying around a brick either!

I suppose with all of these old phones that I've been replacing every 6-12 months, I can just swap SIM cards when I want to travel light...

Thanks again,
Scott

Ryan Joseph
10-01-2004, 03:51 PM
If you already had an xda 2 there is not significant value in upgrading, but if you are buying for the first time, the xda IIs (imate 2k) is the one to wait for (out in 2-3 weeks).

What? 8O I own an i-mate and I absolutely can't wait for the pda2k! It's MUCH better than the current i-mate that I have and I would love to upgrade! Of course, price will be an issue. And I really want a VGA screen.....

okay, I'm not going to get into this again. :wink:

jeisner
10-03-2004, 05:56 AM
^^^ Don't know about much better, I have already purchased a SD Wifi card and it fits in the pocket in my case so not a huge selling point. The thumboard may be a useful feature but thats it! apart from that it is pretty much the same device, yeah SE and Widcomm would be nice but I can't see myself paying for a new EXPENSIVE unit for that.

I think I will wait for a VGA version.....

Although for a new user don't get the Imate (xda II) wait a few weeks and get the Imate pda2k...