View Full Version : Good places to get free, legal, background audio tracks?

famousdavis
09-24-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm a homeschooling parent and this year, I'm using my PPC to record my own voice reading various historical storybooks. Then, while I'm at work, my kids will do their homework, part of which will be to listen to me reading the stories to them as they look at the picturebook from which I read.

I'm using Vito's SoundExplorer (v3.5 -- note that the "enhanced" v4 says my iPAQ 1910 is too slow to record a WAV file) to record my voice. To read a longer book, I have to create multiple WAV files and then piece them together. I export into an MP3 file format when I'm done.

I'm using Audacity -- freeware -- to do the editing with good success so far (I just downloaded that program last night, and it pieced the audio together just fine and exported just fine).

What I want to do now is add background music. Depending on the selection I'm reading, it would either be light, whimsical music or something more dramatic if I'm at a point of rising action in the story.

Audacity says it can mix tracks, but I need free, legal, background music to use for my audio books.

Where can I go to find well-organized, free, legal, background music?

dean_shan
09-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Well if it's just for your family's use then you are ok to use copyrighted material in your recordings. If you are wanting to share the books with other home-school families then you will need to get royalty free music.

I don't know where to find free royalty free music I will suggest The Music Bakery (http://www.musicbakery.com/). They have good songs that aren't as corny and canned as other music sites I've found.