View Full Version : Advice on the HP iPaq 2210

split_personality
09-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum.Am getting a HP iPaq 2210 PocketPc soon.... This will be my first PDA.I have a few doubts which i want to clear beforehand.. hope u ppl help..
1.) is 64mb ram really outdated?Does the 2210 go sluggish at any time during operation?for example: watchin movies does the frame skip? My friends say PPC devices tend to be sluggish compared to Palm... Does that still hold true with the 400MHz processor on the 2210?

2.) Im a total noob with PDA's... n am going for a PPC over a Palm just on gut feeling :D ... is the number of apps/games for the PPC already enuf compared to Palm?

Any other comments/suggestions about the 2210 wud be welcome... Kindly note that my budget would only allow me a 2210... :)

mscdex
09-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum.Am getting a HP iPaq 2210 PocketPc soon.... This will be my first PDA.I have a few doubts which i want to clear beforehand.. hope u ppl help..
1.) is 64mb ram really outdated?Does the 2210 go sluggish at any time during operation?for example: watchin movies does the frame skip? My friends say PPC devices tend to be sluggish compared to Palm... Does that still hold true with the 400MHz processor on the 2210?

2.) Im a total noob with PDA's... n am going for a PPC over a Palm just on gut feeling :D ... is the number of apps/games for the PPC already enuf compared to Palm?

Any other comments/suggestions about the 2210 wud be welcome... Kindly note that my budget would only allow me a 2210... :)

I myself have a 2210. I think it is a very nice device and is fast and responsive (in my experience anyway). To answer your questions...

1. 64mb is pretty much standard and is the norm for a majority of the current PocketPCs out there. There is however 128mb RAM devices coming out soon, or there are a few spotty devices that have this that may be available now. Usually it is a good idea though to buy a memory card of some sort, be it SD or Compact Flash.

2. Even though the Palm platform has a plethora of software available, the PocketPC applications and games available are constantly growing. In my opinion, I believe there are more useful and "better" software for the PocketPC than there is for the Palm. Quality over quantity is what I believe.

Xymus
09-23-2004, 04:48 PM
The h2210 is a great device, I bought it a year ago and I'm still very satisfied. However today I would go for a h4150 for its wifi capability and I also believe it would be better with movies.

The h2210 plays mpeg files 320x240 very well but it has difficulties with larger xvid encoded files. I believe, while not being sure, that its graphic performances are only limited by its graphics processor, the 400mhz and 64mb of ram are more than enough for this kind of task. That is another point why I would go for a h4150 which doesn't have this limitation.

About the memory... it is not outdated and is enough if you use a storage card.

split_personality
09-23-2004, 05:32 PM
thanks guys..... One more thing, i see a lot of PDA users have either CF or SD cards.i have a couple of 256mb MMC cards that i use on my Nokia Ngage...will they work?y is it that u guys use SD or CF? In my city,mmc's are really cheap compared to the other two. Also do pocketpcs die on u like the newer cellphones? Does the firmware have to flashed at a service center,incase the device doesnt boot up?one cheeky question, ive read Palm has a ton of freeware, does the Pocketpc OS also have lots of freeware on the web?

Ripper014
09-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Your MMC cards will work fine in the SD slots... the choice of cards are a personal thing... I like CF because I find them more reliable... plus I hate the fact that the SD slot does not lock the cards in... and since it is spring-loaded has a tendency to pop out... (lost one already... $149 and only a few days old at the time).

PocketPC's will last as long as other devices provided you care for them... Firmware is normally flashed by the end-user... but this is not always the case. And as far as free software... there is lots available... Palms claim to fame is that they have lots of software... my question is how many PIM's do you need...? etc...

Have a look here at some free software... and a lot of it is better than any comercial product you can find. I have numerous applications that are free on my device because they are better than any commercial version I could find.

http://pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php

split_personality
09-24-2004, 02:15 AM
thanks ripper014...glad to know that i can use mmc cards... N flash the rom myself. Ur comment about the availability of freeware for PPC has ended my fears about the so-called hype that Palm has tons more free stuff n PPC has little ;) Now i feel safe to plunge into the world of PDAS... :)

TMann
09-24-2004, 06:55 AM
I think that the only place where there is a lot more free software for the Palm OS is in medical software. If you search on the web, many useful applications have been written for the Palm, but have not yet been duplicated on the PPC.

Other than that, I agree that the software availability has become pretty much a wash.

Good luck with your 2210!

TMann