View Full Version : How to clear flash rom?

surfaday
09-23-2004, 04:32 AM
Since my e755 was locking up several times a day, I finally got fed up and did a hard reset in an attempt to clean it up in case it was something I installed that made it unstable.

Now that I've done a hard reset - both by turning the unit off with the master switch on the bottom then removing the battery and by the reset button/power switch methods - I would like to clear the flash rom.

Is that simply a matter of deleting each file in there? Is there a way to completly start from scratch like reformatting?

Thanks for your help.

Walt

Jeff Rutledge
09-23-2004, 05:05 AM
Items in Flash ROM are permanent. You can't delete those files.

Stephen Beesley
09-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Since my e755 was locking up several times a day, I finally got fed up and did a hard reset in an attempt to clean it up in case it was something I installed that made it unstable.

Now that I've done a hard reset - both by turning the unit off with the master switch on the bottom then removing the battery and by the reset button/power switch methods - I would like to clear the flash rom.

Is that simply a matter of deleting each file in there? Is there a way to completly start from scratch like reformatting?

Thanks for your help.

Walt

If you are talking about the e755s "flash Rom storage disk" rather than the flash rom where the system is stored then yes you can indeed delete the files in there one by one using your file explorer of choice.

As for reformatting you could probably use software like Pocket Mechanic or SK Tools to reformat the storage rom (I see that it comes up as an option on my e755) but I would be careful about doing that. There are stories of the flash rom becoming corrupted and no longer showing up in the file system (I had this happen on a Jornada) and I would be worried about fixing something that "isn't broken"...

surfaday
09-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Ok, not the rom with the operating system on it, but the rom that you store your own things on. Can that be formatted or erased?

Stephen Beesley
09-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Ok, not the rom with the operating system on it, but the rom that you store your own things on. Can that be formatted or erased?

As I said above: Yes you can delete the files using file explorer and you can probably format it using one of the many tools programs out there. I would however advise caution with formatting - unless there is anybody else who has actually done this.

Jeff Rutledge
09-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Ahhh sorry. I misunderstood.

In that case, what Stephen said. :lol:

victore
09-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Walt,

In the past, when I've done a hard reset, I clear my Flash ROM Disk by using the built in File Explorer.

surfaday
09-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. Solves the mystery for me. I will avoid the "missing flash rom" problem by deleting things by hand.

Walt

Stephen Beesley
09-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. Solves the mystery for me. I will avoid the "missing flash rom" problem by deleting things by hand.

Walt

Probably the safest way of going I think.

If, however, you should be unfortunate enough to ever suffer the missing flash rom problem THIS (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=b6e3c65da21a76c3ece97b9d892373a1&threadid=109064) thread on Brighthand's forums offeres a possible solution. Never had to try it myself but it is probably worth noting.