View Full Version : DVDx and Hyperthreading.

maximus
09-23-2004, 02:08 AM
Quick question for the hardware/software gurus on this forum :)

I am using DVDx software to rip my DVDs into VCDs. The problem is, DVDx only uses 50% of the CPU during processing (Task Manager - Performance - CPU Usage).

Even the latest version of DVDx (v2.3) which claimed to be 'designed for Pentium 4 H/T' still cannot fully utilized the 100% power of the processor.

On my slightly overclocked Pentium 4 3ghz with fast DDRs, I only get averagely 40-42 fps conversion speed, at 50% the CPU Usage.

Is there a trick to force DVDx to take the whole 100% of CPU usage ?

Mitchybums
09-23-2004, 02:22 AM
I dont know if it works with the dvdx program, but most programs can be sped up by changing the priority
(winnt-2k-xp only)
Rightclick on your taskbar on a spot where no program things are.
Select taskmanager , and go to the processes tab.
make sure dvdx is running (or another app that you want to speedup) andclick on the CPU block twice.
this will sort the processes by highest cpu usage on top.

CAREFULL, the following will make your system slow, or if set too high even unresponsive untill the program is done !!!!

Rightclick on the DVDx process (or something similair) and select set priority. Set it on above normal for some speedup.
higher will make your computer unresponsive !

If you click on the performance tab, you can get an indication about cpu usage and memusage.
if memory is maxed out, you need more memory to be able to get more cpu usage(and speed)

Goodluck.
and be carefull.
After rebooting, or closing the application, this has to be done again.
It does not store the priority info for the application .

maximus
09-23-2004, 04:46 AM
Tried that in the past (adjusted the priority both from task manager and from DVDx itself), but no significant increase in fps. I have plenty of physical RAM left.

Darius Wey
09-24-2004, 05:03 AM
Give XMPEG a go. It has all the latest optimisations for all the latest processors and does accurate speed testing when you first startup the program.

maximus
09-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Give XMPEG a go. It has all the latest optimisations for all the latest processors and does accurate speed testing when you first startup the program.

Thanks. I played with xmpeg in the past, a nice apps indeed.
The problem is, it does not process subtitles.