View Full Version : Will the new WM2003 devices have a fix for alarms

bvkeen
09-22-2004, 12:54 AM
As the new VGA devices near, I'm wondering if anyone has yet heard whether these WM2003SE implementations will have a fix, a REAL fix, for the infamous alarm problem. I know the WM2003SE implementation on my e800 doesn't have a fix (and none of the "hacks" truly solve the problem either), but I am still hopeful that one of the vendors will address this problem once and for all.

If I knew there was a real fix for this in the hx4700 or the X50, I'd get one of these two new devices, for sure. For now I'm having to use my Palm T3, because I'm pretty dependent on alarms. I know a lot of people are not as dependent on alarms and it is a non-problem to them. But, to me it is. Fortunately, the Palm is really a fine device and I can go on without using a Pocket PC, but I do miss some PPC features.

I know it may be premature for anyone to really know whether the new devices have a fix, but, just in case some of the MVPs have some insight, I thought I'd ask. I know this subject has otherwise been beat to death, and I'm not trying to resurrect the whole alarm issue - I'm just wondering about the devices and alarms.

Thanks

petvas
09-22-2004, 06:06 PM
I can only tell that the WM2003SE OS doesnt have any alarm issues...Of course its up to the OEM to create the appropriate image for each device and build drivers and software for it...to install on the base WM2003SE OS image...This could cause issues...

bvkeen
09-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Thanks. I guess I'll hard reset my e800 again tonight (which has WM2003SE) and give it another shot.

petvas
09-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks. I guess I'll hard reset my e800 again tonight (which has WM2003SE) and give it another shot.

I dont think this will change anything so please dont do it. Its up to the OEM to take the base OS Image and customize it according to their will..

petvas
09-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Sometimes the implementation of the OEM has problems...for example my iPaq H5550 had alarm issues where my H4150 doesnt have any...

bvkeen
09-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks again. I wasn't looking forward to having to go through a hard reset.

Perhaps there is more of an OEM element than I had realized before. As I reflect back on when I had an Axim X3i, I don't recall it having an issue, so, Maybe, the X50 will be okay with alarms. I'm inclined at this point to go ahead and get the X50 when it comes out (I haven't ruled out the hx4700, but I'm thinking X50 at this point).

petvas
09-22-2004, 08:16 PM
I have ordered the ipaq 4700 and I can't wait for it. Its specs are absolutely fantastic...

bvkeen
09-22-2004, 08:21 PM
I have ordered the ipaq 4700 and I can't wait for it. Its specs are absolutely fantastic...

Agreed on the specs ... I'm still not sure which I'll get.

Take care

Dolphin
09-24-2004, 01:04 PM

Take care

Isn't the X50 about the size of an iPaq 4155... maybe just a tad bigger? That would make it the choice for me!

bvkeen
09-24-2004, 01:37 PM

Take care

Isn't the X50 about the size of an iPaq 4155... maybe just a tad bigger? That would make it the choice for me!

I do think the size of the X50 might also appeal to me a bit more, too. I have an e800 at present, and it is not as good a shirt-pocket fit as I would like to have in a Pocket PC, and the 4700 is basically the same size as my e800. I must say I'm still not sure how I will go on this - I would really like to see more forum posts (ideally reviews) of the 4700 and X50. The only thing that would keep me from waiting to find out more about the X50 would be a delay in its release: some posts have reported it could be the end of November before they are released. I'd really like to have one of the new devices before November...

I would especially like to hear what kind of experience folks have with alarm reliability on the 4700's (and the X50, if released soon enough). But, now that I have a SPOT watch (got it yesterday), I am less concerned about missing alarms than I was. PLUS, my e800 actually sounded an alarm this morning for an appointment (I did a hard reset, installed less software that I had on it, cleaned out several passed appointments out of the calendar, and so on, so MAYBE this is a good sign, too).

bvkeen
09-26-2004, 12:42 AM
I went ahead and ordered the hx4705 today. I had thought about waiting for the X50 to come to market, but the hx4705 is really appealing and I know I can live with the 4-inch display, as I have done so with the e800 for several months. One size advantage that I see the hx4705 having over my e800 is that I do not think I will need an extended battery for the 4705, whereas I have been having to use for the e800 and it adds a lot of bulk. I'll let you know if I turn out being disappointed. The 4705 is Supposed to be overnighted to me on 10/4 - I hope it's not delayed beyond that, as I have gotten myself psyched up for it now.