View Full Version : Missing Software????

Thuddriver
09-21-2004, 05:05 AM
I bought an iPaq 3670 from a friend and it seems to work fine with a GPS unit I have plugged into it.
I cannot get the Calendar and Address book programs to work though and I have no software that I have on my desktop that links with those.
I have a new version of Active Sync but I can not figure out how to get the calendar or address book to work and update. Am I missing some software???
All I have is Active Sync.

Brad Adrian
09-21-2004, 05:16 AM
The calendar, contacts and inbox applications are all burned permanently into the ROM. If your Pocket PC doesn't display them or run them, there may be a problem with them.

First, do a SOFT reset, and see if that fixes the problem. On the 3600 i believe that's done by inserting your stylus tip into the little hole at the bottom of the device.

If it doesn't fix it, all you have to do to restore them is perform a HARD reset. But, unfortunately, that also wipes out everything else that's installed, kinda like reformatting a PC's hard drive. I think to do a HARD reset you have to open the little door on the bottom and turn the switch to the OFF position for a few moments, and then back on.

Let us know if we can help more.

uzetaab
09-21-2004, 05:28 AM
your question is a little vague, but if you mean that you can't get your contacts etc to sync with your PC, it's probably because you don't have the right contact program on your PC.

Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PCs are only compatable with Outlook 2002 or newer. If you don't have this program, you cant do it.

If you have an earlier version operating system, like PocketPC 2002 it probably only works with say Outlook 2000 etc. You get the idea.

You said you got the device of a friend, ask him for the installation CD, it will have a free copy of Outlook on it.

If you can't get the CD, you may be able to buy one off Compaq/HP as a spare part.

Don't forget microsoft titles require a licence code.

Have a look around handango.com, you might be able to buy a different contacts etc program that has a PC & Pocket PC version & forget microsoft alltogether.

If you meant that you can't make a contact on the device at all & your not even getting to the stage where you sync it, then your software is corrupt. Do a hard reset. (WARNING: a hard reset is a last ditch effort, it wipes everything that wasn't installed at the factory. So you will lose any software & save files, documents etc that you, or the previous owner added. All you will have left is the operating system, PocketWord etc. Your GPS software, for example will need reinstalling.)

PS. I'm new to PocketPC devices so don't take anything I say as 100% truth.

Thuddriver
09-21-2004, 02:53 PM
This is and older PPC, the iPaq 3670 so I assume I will need an older version of MS Outlook. Where can I get a copy?

Sven Johannsen
09-21-2004, 03:37 PM
This is and older PPC, the iPaq 3670 so I assume I will need an older version of MS Outlook. Where can I get a copy?

You can sync it with any current version of Outlook. The dependency is more in ActiveSync. You would need to buy Outlook if that is what you wish to use. If you are using some other contact/calendar program now on the desktop, there may be a third party program like Intellisync that will sync with whatever you are using. Since you would need to buy something (assuming you can't get Outlook from the PPC seller), then you are nor economically locked into Outlook.