View Full Version : SprintDB and Database Synchronisation

gxtal
09-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi,

I'm not a developer, but I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

I've created a database using SprintDB Pro to track my DVDs, loans, orders etc and I have been using it for about a year or so. I would now like to be able to update the database tables from my desktop computer and synchronise them with my Pocket PC and vice versa.

I understand that ActiveSync does the conversion between MS Access and Pocket Access. However, the whole synchronisation process is not very straightforward, at least to me.

I really would like it to be as simple as synchronising my ListPro files, for example, and I have no requirement for the database to be in any particular format. So long as it is a relational database that supports forms on both the desktop and PPC.

So, should I persevere with SprintDB or should I look at another database? If so, which one? (I also have the desktop companion).

Thanks in advance.

Sven Johannsen
09-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Well, SprintDB Desktop componenet isn't really meant to be a desktop DB, but rather a development environment for the PPC version.

The biggest issue you will run in to is that the ActiveSync conduit that connects .cdb's and .mdb's is extremely limited. It does tables only. It does not transfer relationships. That doesn't mean you can't establish them in Access and also in SprintDB. If you have Access and are comfortable with it. All you should have to do to get started is drag your .cdb onto your desktop and a wizard will walk you through naming it and selecting what you want to keep sync'd. You don't have to do all tables or even every field in each table. Honestly I've only gone from desktop to PPC, but I have accidentally started the other.

You might want to look at HandBase though as they have both a desktop and PPC componenet that are really designed to work together.

gxtal
09-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi Sven,

Thanks for your reply. That prompted me to have a look at HandBase, but it just seems too limited after using SprintDB, eg one table per database, no programming language, separate forms application.

I hadn't thought of restricting the tables and fields to be synchronised, that might be the way to go.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks.