View Full Version : Activ Sync not working 5550/XP Pro - all of a sudden!

SteveP
09-20-2004, 06:16 AM
Hi All

I used ActivSync on Saturday no problems with my 5550 and XP Pro machine

Today, I just see 'connecting..' and it just sits there and eventually times out with a window popping up saying it couldn't recognise the device.

It works in the cradle fine

I've deleted the partnership and reinstalled Activ Sync a couple of times, and it has made no difference

Any ideas anyone?

Steve

Darius Wey
09-20-2004, 06:31 AM
Are you synchronising via BT, USB or Wi-Fi?

Try resetting your PC and PPC and see if this helps.

SteveP
09-20-2004, 06:53 AM
Sorry...

I meant to say it's a Bluetooth connection. I reckon the Bluetooth IS connecting OK, but for some reason ActSync isn't 'kicking in'

Thanks

Darius Wey
09-20-2004, 07:06 AM
Sorry...

I meant to say it's a Bluetooth connection. I reckon the Bluetooth IS connecting OK, but for some reason ActSync isn't 'kicking in'

Thanks

This also happens to me when I attempt to synchronise via BT, although it only happens on rare occasions. The way I get around this is I close Bluetooth Manager and turn off Bluetooth on the Pocket PC. Then I reopen Bluetooth Manager and attempt to synchronise again, which works every time.

Also ensure that ActiveSync on your Pocket PC is set to synchronise via Bluetooth as opposed to USB. This can be configured under the options page of the ActiveSync program on the Pocket PC.

SteveP
09-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Hi DJ

Thanks for the additional tips. I noticed on the iPAQ, sync was set for USB...I changed it to 'bluetooth...but it still made no difference

Thanks for help though!

S

Jereboam
09-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Although you don't theoretically have to do this, make sure your iPaq and your desktop are paired. If they are already, delete the pairing and pair again just to make sure.

Also, have you made sure the COM port numbers match? ie Your Bluetooth COM port should match the Activesync COM port you have set...there may be a conflict so you could try changing the COM port to a different (usually higher is safer) number.

Also be aware that if you are running proprietary Bluetooth software (eg Sony Vaio's Bluespace and their crappy stack) you might just be **** out of luck for Activesyncing.

J'bm

SteveP
09-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks Jereboam

Soaunds like a good idea

How do I check the com ports are right?

Thanks

S

Darius Wey
09-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Thanks Jereboam

Soaunds like a good idea

How do I check the com ports are right?

Thanks

S

It depends on what you are using as your BT drivers. Do you have XP SP2 installed - if so, are you using the native Windows BT drivers or the drivers supplied by the manufacturer?

In any case, ensure that the incoming COM port matches that of the selected COM port in the Connection Settings of ActiveSync on the PC.

SteveP
09-20-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm holding off with SP2 for the moment. I'm using the drivers that came with the TDK bluetooth dongle

Ta

S

Jereboam
09-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager

Don't know about the TDK dongle, but it will either be under Bluetooth or Ports (COM & LPT). It should be obvious once you see it... ;)

Then open ActiveSync's Connection Settings and see what ports are available in the drop down list.

Make sure they match...

I highly recommend SP2. I have installed it on two desktops and my laptop with no nasties, and funnily enough I can now finally ActiveSync over Bluetooth with my Vaio...never could before with the Sony stack and software, a known bug.

The SP2 Bluetooth drivers have some limitations but read up on them, I did and decided they did not affect my usage.

J'bm

SteveP
09-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Thanks again Jereboam

I'm starting to think that the btooth software has become corrupted in some way, so later day I'm going to reinstal it all again

...and then I'll consider SP2 :wink:

Cheers!

SteveP
09-23-2004, 11:57 AM
So then I uninstalled the bluetooth software on the PC and bought a new b'tooth dongle and software.

..and it still won't run!! :mad:

So I've now soft reset twice, and hard reset the iPAQ once, uninstalled activsync twice and reinstalled, deleted the partnership and re-added it, and spent out on new b'tooth software

Still no luck? What else is left to try?

I must be missing something really obvious here :D

S