View Full Version : horrible news - lost all my gadgets in ivan - replacement ideas?

zilla31
09-19-2004, 11:23 PM
i drove from VA to PA this weekend for a wedding and got caught in some of the worst flooding in PA history. My land rover was totally submerged and i had to swim to safety with my wife - couldn't rescue my gadget bag. insurance is going to cover everything but now i'm thinking - should i just get another ipaq 4155 (which i LOVED) or is there a better alternative? i want something as small and light (or almost)... ideas????

:cry: :cry: :cry:

zilla31
09-19-2004, 11:26 PM
ps in case you're wondering i lost my ipod, my laptop, my 4155, my t610, my belkin BT GPS, my sony digi (5 mp), and a TON (literally) of accessories for all of the above - more chargers and cases and all kinds of other cr*p than you can possibly imagine. wait who am i talking to - of course you can imagine!!!! i did try and save my bag (pod zilla) but i couldn't keep it over my head as i swam to safety with my wife in tow (eventually i had to just let it go so i could help her - an obvious choice).

ps i'm heartbroken until i can get my insurance claim in and out.

pps did i mention my land rover was totally submerged and ultimately deeme d totalled?

Jason Dunn
09-20-2004, 12:14 AM
OUCH! I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you....wow. What a downer! It's good that you and your wife are ok though.

In terms of what to get, I'd suggest holding off for a couple of more weeks to see what Dell is cooking up...I too love the 4150, but if the Dell rumours are to be believed, then they might have a worthy upgrade from the 4150.

Steven Cedrone
09-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Were you trying to cross moving water? Sorry to hear about your loss, but you were lucky...

Usually, when the waters rise like they did this weekend the volunteer unit I run with (Telford Diving & Rescue) gets called out for a few rescues (the lucky ones) and maybe a recovery (the unlucky ones)...

None this weekend though! Whew!

Steve

Darius Wey
09-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Wow. This is the kind of stuff I'd hate to even dream about. Sorry to hear about your loss.

The h4150 is a very nice device, although I agree with Jason. Wait a couple of months to see what new devices are coming to the market.

In my opinion, I'd steer clear of the new range of iPAQs at the moment because of its price.

maximus
09-21-2004, 11:12 AM
On the positive side, it is a good thing that you and your wife are safe, and the insurance covers everything. During last year's flooding, I left my car at the 3rd floor of the apartment parking building, so it was save. Cars that were parked on the 1st level were not so lucky. The insurance company choose not to honor the claims, because flooding is one of the 'special' case of the 'act of god' which are not covered.

Jason Dunn
09-21-2004, 04:26 PM
The insurance company choose not to honor the claims, because flooding is one of the 'special' case of the 'act of god' which are not covered.

Incredible - that's completely unfair. Have I mentioned what a low opinion I have of insurance companies? :roll:

JustinGTP
09-23-2004, 01:16 AM
Have I mentioned what a low opinion I have of insurance companies? :roll:

Did you happen to have an unfortunate experience with an insurance company?

zilla31
09-23-2004, 05:29 AM
my land rover was covered but all my luggage and gadget bag (plus tons of other stuff in the truck) was NOT covered. supposedly but home owners but wouldn't you know that when i checked w/ them they said i didn't have flood covereage - and couldn't even get it in my area if i had wanted to since it's not on a flood plain. so basically i'm rebuilding my gadget library from scratch....

lost a GBA, podzilla, 4155, great sony 5 mpx digicam, 20gb ipod, and COUNTLESS accessories for each. did i mention my thinkpad drowned too? wow right?

ps update: i went to compusa to "browse" and they had one last unopened 4155 that was supposed to be the display model - and they gave it to me for 300 so i snatched it. i saw the new line of HP's there and wasn't real impressed at all - i think they had it right w/ the 4155.