View Full Version : How Many Tasks Do You Have On Your Pocket PC?

Janak Parekh
09-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Kati was lamenting about the amount of work she has to do <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32363&highlight=">in this thread</a>, and it got me thinking... a quick glance at my Outlook Tasks folder shows that I have 133 active tasks, 40 of them high-priority. 8O<br /><br />It's worth pointing out I basically assign high-priority to any task that has a deadline, so that Outlook on the desktop can sort it correctly (if you try to sort ascending by date, it will put tasks with "None" due dates first, so I sort by priority and then by date ascending to get a useful ordering), so 40 high-priority tasks doesn't mean that I've sprouted two more arms to keep myself sane. Still, it's a lot of tasks, and I don't know when I'll finish it, if ever. How about you?

Jereboam
09-18-2004, 11:05 PM
I'm curious - how many people have a "Getting Things Done" type system going on for tasks? Do you use lots of different categories to sort them and what sort of philosophy do you apply to it?

J'bm

MikeUnwired
09-18-2004, 11:43 PM
I generally try to use the FranklinCovey What Matters Most / Focus training I got with respect to tasks. I assign them to a specific day based on the time I have available for task managment during that day and then try to get them done before they roll-over and become just a blur of To Dos on my task screen.

I do have a certain number of "low priority" items that aren't a priority for a particular day, but that could use being done. Like reorganizing my CDs or creating new playlists on my iPod.

Ultimately though, you have to give props to the Honey Do titme management system -- "Honey, do this or you ain't gettin' any!" That system seems to be foolproof to get a list cleared. Maybe we should figure-out how to skin the Tasks background with our wives/husbands/SOs shaking their finger at us... :dilemma:

Janak Parekh
09-18-2004, 11:53 PM
I do have a certain number of "low priority" items that aren't a priority for a particular day, but that could use being done. Like reorganizing my CDs or creating new playlists on my iPod.
Myself as well. Sadly, I don't know if they'll ever get done, given my higher-priority tasks. ;)

--janak

felixdd
09-19-2004, 12:09 AM
I guess I'm peculiar.

I use my PPC for music (very often).
I use my PPC to record lectures.
I use my PPC to read notes in the subway.
I use my PPC to access the internet.
I use my PPC to fire off emails.
I use my PPC to keep track of important dates.
I use my PPC occasionally for games.

...but I do not use it as a to-do list. Partly because when I need stuff done, I just do them. I keep them in my head. What good is an agenda when you don't have a habit of consulting it to see what tasks are in the pipeline?

T-Will
09-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Check out this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28614&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) a few weeks back talking about good ways to organize tasks. The way I'm doing it now is I have a category for specific places for example, here's some categories I have:

@Bible
@BRMS (my workplace)
@Church
@Computer
@Home
@Internet
@Leisure
@School
@Phone
@Shopping

Then I'll categorize a task by the location where I can complete the task, for example, if I'm driving and have time to make phone calls then I'll filter by my @Phone category and see what phone calls I need to make. So far this method has worked great for me and I highly recommend it!

dean_shan
09-19-2004, 12:37 AM
I don't use a to-do list. I just remember it or right it down on Notes.

ChunkyMonkey
09-19-2004, 04:25 AM
I go in spirts. If I start feeling overwelmed I use to-do's...otherwise I don't seem to use it much

Darius Wey
09-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Wow...some people have 251+ tasks. Busy people!

Usually, I only use my tasks list for reminding myself of when I need to submit reports or other important documents.

If I need to do something simple like buying milk or a loaf of bread, or even buying a birthday present for a friend, it's something I usually keep in my mind.

jimski
09-19-2004, 05:28 AM
Janek, 144 tasks! 8O You must have a task to read your tasks.

I used to use the Franklin Covey logic to set tasks but as my perfectly planned day can often go to hell by 9:00am, I got tired of moving things forward every day. Now, I set a start/end date for every task, with reasonable expectations. Things that have to get done get a high priority and usually don't slip past the due date. FYI kinds of tasks get a low priority. I sort by priority, followed by due date. I only use two categories; business & personal, but don't usually sort or group this way. If it's important, it's important.

On average, I will have 10-15 active tasks when I open up each morning. If I had one of those nightmare days, the next morning my Today screen will show lots of red (past due) which will prompt me to focus on getting things done. If I have to scroll to see my task list on the Today screen, I go into panic mode and either move things forward or just get them done. I really try to avoid moving things, but usually I am waiting for someone else to get back to me so completing the task is not totally in my control.

I will admit that I can probably remember about 2/3 of the tasks on my list, but would surely overlook something if I did not write it down. I also use the notes section of a task to make notes of follow-up phone calls and other pertinent information for future reference or when I do finally get around to finishing up the task One nice Outlook feature would be to show the progress percentage for tasks on the Today screen.

LarDude
09-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Myself as well. Sadly, I don't know if they'll ever get done, given my higher-priority tasks. ;)

--janak

Tell me about it! I'm thinking of downgrading the priorities of some
of the tasks on my PPC:
1) Linearizing the arrays of paperclip columns in my desktray
2) Recentering the pimento in all of the olives in my fridge
3) Pre-mobilizing all the soup cans in my cupboard for optimal access via bubble-sorting algorithms

Don Tolson
09-19-2004, 06:58 AM
I'm assuming we're talking about 'Active' tasks here, rather than the total # which may be in the unit but with a future start date.

If it's the latter case, then I'll up my vote into the 100-140 range, since I use the Task list to keep track of all sorts of upcoming stuff, like:

a) Insurance expiries (auto, life, etc.)
b) bond expiries
c) gardening chores (spray trees, prune, etc.)
d) regular status reports, etc. required at work
e) reminders for contacting people for out trips for my cubs

etc, etc.

Without the task list and my appointment calendar, I'd be completely lost!

I also keep all of the old completed tasks and appts on my iPAQ so that I can use them for reference and CYA.

ikesler
09-19-2004, 07:28 AM
When I first got my ppc I wasn't using as many tasks as when I started using PI. For the last 2 years or so I have had way too many tasks on my list. I have tons of recurring ones re: bills, weekly/monthly things I have to do and everything else I do goes into the list as well. And I mean everything. It is really the only way that I can seem to get things done.
Everynight before I go to bed I spend about 10-15 minutes setting up tasks for the next day or coming days, and moving things that didn't get done today......... or just moving a phone call category task to the Waiting on Response category...... because I left a message or something.
I find with PI and all the filtering, linking, and priority possibilities that my task list usage really went up and I find myself much, much more productive and organized. Adding alarms for specific task times is great, and keeping track of progress in the notes of the task is great too.
I have quite a few categories on my device buy only really use 10 or so for tasks.
I sort by due date and then category and leave IN PROGRESS selected in PI in the task section....... that way I can easily see what is due when and where....... the where is easy to do when using the method described above and in the other thread mentioned. I find it really useful to use the @ symbol:
@office
@home
@errand
@internet
Then the task is listed but I don't look or open that category until I am @ that place.......... really makes orgainzing easy and useful.
I love the task completion/progress idea mentioned and hope that PI can do something like that in the future like Outlook has.
But often I solve this by using the hierarchical task sort and place tasks under the parent....... then progress can be made and checked off as I go without saying I finished the whole task.
Without the PPC I would have some serious issues in organization now........ and that is a little scary really! 8O

bjornkeizers
09-19-2004, 08:10 AM
No todo's or tasks here. My brain is far more efficient at it then my 1915.

If you have more then say... 75 things on there, you definitely need some help re-organising your life and career. 8O

mrkablooey
09-19-2004, 12:40 PM
No todo's or tasks here. My brain is far more efficient at it then my 1915.

That's what I'm thinking! I would say my brain doesn't need to be recharged like my X30 does, but I'd be lying. --> :morning:

I usually have up to 10 active tasks... most little things I just try to remember. But I should honestly put most everything in there (like some of you geeks :wink: since I tend to forget some of the less important things--things I should still be doing!)

geneb
09-19-2004, 01:55 PM
I don't have any tasks on my todo list right now, but.... that's mostly because I need a reminder to Put Things On The List!!

If only someone would come up with a way to automatically add things to the todo list! :wink:

mcsouth
09-19-2004, 03:29 PM
My biggest problem has consistently been related to the fact that Outlook doesn't allow nested tasks - I relaize that this may be considered more the domain of project management apps, but several tasks that I have are all interdependant. I have ended up using ListPro when outlining several tasks, and in some cases have also used Excel when 'outlining' tasks. As a result, my task list mainly just consists of reoccuring tasks, such as monthly reports, checking the water softener, etc.

Now if the task list was beefed up a bit to allow for nesting tasks, then my list would be more like ListPro is today, with hundreds of tasks.....

Brad Adrian
09-19-2004, 08:12 PM
I guess I'm peculiar....I keep them in my head.
I hope you realize how fortunate you are. There are a lot of us who would LOVE to be able to keep track of things inour heads, but simply can't.

My problem is that one of my tasks is to organize my Task list! I have a hard time finding a system that matches the kinds of things I need to do with my way of thinking and doing them.

Jeff Rutledge
09-19-2004, 08:14 PM
I can spike oer 75 now and again, but usually sit around 50 tasks active in my list.

My task list also drops when I'm very busy (as I am now) because I start to record tasks on a more macro level than I usually do.

Also, about a dozen or so of these tasks are recurring (some weekly, some monthly, etc.).

Brad Adrian
09-19-2004, 08:16 PM
If you have more then say... 75 things on there, you definitely need some help re-organising your life and career.
Not sure I understand. Why does having a long list of things to do mean that there is something "wrong?" I can't use myself as an example, because I AM disorganized, but I know a lot of very organized, very efficient people who still have long lists of things to do.

What I WOULD say is that if you find yourself constantly moving tasks from today to tomorrow, there very well may be a problem with how your work is organized or how you approach it.

buzzard
09-19-2004, 08:41 PM
I use Outlook Tasks as a diary of sorts. When there is a project or task at work that needs to be completed there isn't always an end date but there could be many meetings and email between people involved in completing the project. I got tired of trying to remember in July what everyone agreed to do in March, so I started keeping a diary of these activities. As new activities occur I add them along with the date and have found this to be very useful. I always download to my PPC so I have the details with me at a meeting. I used to use Word but couldn't sort things very well and sscrolling to find a task was a pain.
For actual tasks that need to be done soon (oil change, paint bedroom, etc.) I put those into TreNotes and, as always, continue to ignore them. :mrgreen:

ikesler
09-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Yes keeping things in your head is ideal........ but just not doable for me or most people I know....... either in a paper planner or ppc, most people I know have to write things down. I actually the think the 'act' of writing things down helps me remember what to do even more. I find that when I turn my ppc on about an hour after I last did I can check off 3 or 4 things right away as I knew that I had to do them already.
I also think with all the options of organizing tasks in PI makes it even more of a tool for me.
I have changed my method of using tasks quite a bit in the last 6 months but have stuck with the method that I got here on the other task thread mentioned earlier. That has improved my organization and completion of tasks greatly.

Janak Parekh
09-19-2004, 10:25 PM
since I tend to forget some of the less important things--things I should still be doing!)
This is the key. If I only had to remember two or three things I have to do everyday, I could. But there's a lot more important, yet less pressing tasks, that keep on slipping through the cracks. By organizing everything in Outlook, I can make sure that those things don't slip. And I'm not just talking personal life -- professionally speaking, it looks much better if others don't perceive you as someone who has to be constantly reminded of the little things slipping through the cracks.

Of course, it depends on your mode of employment. Things like teaching and consulting add lots of to-dos to my list. If you're, say, a student, you're apt to have less to-dos -- I hardly used my to-do lists back in the day.

--janak

mrkablooey
09-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Janak,

That's where I was heading at least with my thinking, not sure if it made it into posts or not. Which is an interesting parallel... it was in my head, but did I remember to post it or not? Guess I should put everything into my PPC! Jeez. :wink: