View Full Version : HP vs. Dell customer support question

Johnny_S
09-17-2004, 08:43 PM
I guess I have been boycotting HP for the past 3 years, so the MyPal 730 was a big deal for me, but after the last bit of news on the Dell Axim X50, I am going to wait it out again. Even if HP is the OEM for the Dell, if I don't have to deal directly with HP, I'd consider it.

So what are your takes on Dell customer support? I am sure that people have had good experiences with HP, but mine have been bad, and then what was once good Bombpaq support, then turned bad after HP put its paws on them. I don't mind hearing good or bad reports on either of the companies.

Johnny_S
09-17-2004, 08:45 PM
How does the poll thing work? what does poll option mean?

capo
09-17-2004, 09:20 PM
I've got a long history will Dell customer support, but only with desktops, servers and such (both business and personal). I have no complaints about them.
I have a very short history with HP and don't plan on making it any longer. I had an original Compaq Aero, then an iPaq (Compaq), now an HP iPaq. I never had any complaints about Compaq service - again, I had a long history with their other equipment, business and personal. I only had one hardware issue with one of my Compaq PDAs (can't remember if it was the Aero or the iPaq) and had to send it back. It was serviced properly, quickly and at no charge. Recently I had a problem with my HP iPaq - it was working fine but like a fool I installed a ROM update from HP's support site and installed it. Mysteriously, my WiFi stopped working. I contacted HP but they wouldn't talk to me unless I paid them first. I thought that was a bit harsh for a 9 month old iPaq and an issue with a service pack. I let them know I didn't think that was great customer service and their response was basically "too bad." To be fair, the iPaq is only covered by a 3 month warranty. I guess ROM updates are at your own risk after that.
I'm voting with my wallet - my next PDA will not be an HP. I have no intention of buying any HP products in the future.

ADBrown
09-17-2004, 09:35 PM
HP is not the OEM for Dell. The Axim lines are manufactured by High Tech Computer, or HTC, a Taiwanese company that also sometimes builds units for HP.

Personally, I've had ample good experiences with Dell support. No, they're not good at giving you tech support--their suggestions are usually reinstall, soft reset, hard reset, so forth--but their warranty service is top notch. Tell them that you have a damaged or defective unit, they'll ship a replacement to you via overnight courier. I once ordered a replacement Axim at 5 PM on a Thursday, and had it pressed into my hands at 2 PM the next Friday. They'll do this even if the problem isn't major.

If I may ask, why are you boycotting HP?

Johnny_S
09-17-2004, 09:52 PM
I have purchased many HP products as a consumer - it's hard not to. I am am guessing that the commercial are better, but the consumer products, though they look nice, all have broken parts or aspects of them that don't work. Customer service is horrible. My experience was similar to Capo's. My Bompaq products where supported well after their warranties expired. With HP, you are SOL the day the warranty is out. 90 days on one of their products.

So, while I just can't walk into the local electronics retailer, and say I'll take an HP printer, desktop, laptop, camera, scanner, burner, etc, anymore - I have been a much happier consumer over all.

minimage
09-18-2004, 04:12 AM
Now there's another thing I won't be buying from HP. I decided never again with their printers after my barely used 3350 (or was it a 3250?)died in its 6th month, and I learned about their pitiful 90-day warranty. I went back to buying from Lexmark, with its respectable 1 year warranty. Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but if they can't provide a warranty for at least a year, they can't have my doggoned money! Or, how about if they don't have that much confidence in their products, l certainly won't. Caress that bottom line all you want, HP, but I will not be kissing your bottom!

szamot
09-18-2004, 05:27 AM
Consider this: I had my 3850 "fixed" about six times by HP everytime something else was wrong and everytime I called for help it was the "motherboard". On the 7th attempt I have given up on Compaq's/HP's service and asked for a replacement. They have given me the 5450 as they could not "fix" my trusty 3850 anymore. Dell does not fix stuff they simply send you a new one and the defective one goes back to where it came from. Simple and effective and cost efficient.

Johnny_S
09-18-2004, 05:49 AM
Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but if they can't provide a warranty for at least a year, they can't have my doggoned money! Or, how about if they don't have that much confidence in their products, l certainly won't.
Amen to that!

jbachandouris
09-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Two words: Extended Warranty.

When you buy a printer from an OfficeMax or Staples, you can buy a replacement warranty fairly cheap. You don't get a repair or a refurb, you get a gift card, so you can just buy another one.

I have had 2 HP printers and both have been good. I also have has several Ipaqs and now an HP laptop. The tech support for Ipaqs was good, the notebook tech support was OK.

As for Dell, I repair their desktops and laptops and sometimes have to use their tech support.

I am not extremely impressed with level 1 tech support at either company.

PetiteFlower
09-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Two more words:

Triple posting!

:p

Jeff Rutledge
09-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Two more words:

Triple posting!

:p

Fixed. 8)