View Full Version : Modding Win2003Se .DLLs - can it be done?

TGHI
09-17-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'll give it a shot. I am an affluent Windows modifier (for PCs, that is) and I just recently purchased an iPAQ rz1710. It is running Winows Mobile 2003 SE. Here's what I want to know:

I know that the OS and most of it's files (including HP's bloatware) is all loaded into ROM (all 10.33MB of it). Now what I want to do is remove any programs that I don't use and edit the .DLLs to suit my liking. So what do I have to do to accomplish this?

ActiveSync will not let me even COPY .DLLs from the windows folder...blah.

I am assuming that I will have to preform a ROM dump, but I am complete noob with Pocket PCs so far, and I have no idea how to do so. Also, if the ROM is dumped, is it dumped as just one large ROM file, or as the files would actually appear as in the PPC file explorer?

Can anyone point me into th right direction?

mscdex
09-17-2004, 09:37 PM
I dunno about WM2003SE, but on my iPaq 2215 that has WM2003, I can copy DLL files just fine via activesync. I just make an activesync connection then just go to My Computer and then double click on the PocketPC icon and find the windows directory from there and right click on the file and copy..... and paste onto wherever on your computer you want.

alex_kac
09-17-2004, 09:48 PM
TGHI, you can't do that. And it doesn't do you any good to do so. They are in ROM, not taking up any extra space.

WyattEarp
09-18-2004, 01:10 AM
Unfortunately the only mod software I've see is for the XDA :( . I would love to cook up my own programs to install and get rid of some of those anemic preinstalled programs.

Kowalski
09-19-2004, 09:43 AM
here i will list you afew diffuculties you will face:
1) you wont find a good debugger like softice of ollydbg or windbg etc. there is only one debugger, which comes with eVc++. although it is a good debugger, if you dont have the source code and you debug in the assembly level , it is horrible
2) you cant modify ddls because they are built into the rom, and you cant even trace system calls as soon as they enter to system dlls.
3) there are only afew sites with information you need. Best one is ka0s.net
you can google for "haret" which is very advanced and complicated tool and lastly check out xda-developers. you cant find anything here for your work, but you can get an idea because they all work for xda.
4) since debugging approach is almost impossible, you can only use IDA pro for dead-code approach, which i dont like, dont use and dont appriciate.
5) and lastly windowsCE and windowsXP have so much in common but there are some key differences which will drive you crazy when you begin to work.

feel free to PM me if you decide to go on, you know what they say, knowledge grows as you share it!