View Full Version : Working with Pocket PC / Windows CE Devices

Jonathon Watkins
09-20-2004, 09:00 AM
After my recent post about ruggedised <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=285556">Pocket PCs</a>, I was wondering how many of you guys use Pocket PCs or Windows CE devices as part of you job? I don't mean that you use them during your working day to take notes, make appointments, look up contacts, etc, but how many of you are required to use PPCs and WCE devices as part of your daily tasks on behalf of your employer? I'm thinking of things like using them to check stock, do surveying, use on a till, navigate to your objective, etc. As usual, the poll is not meant to be exhaustive, so pick the option that is closest to you situation.<br /><br />Personally I've tested PPC and Windows CE software for various companies, but what about you? What kind of things do you do with your devices for your employer and do you have any interesting/unusual/pertinent stories you can share with us about your work with them? Does working with them daily make it less fun when you do so in your own time?<br /><br /><b>Edit: </b>Please note, only tick either of the '<i>Yes</i>' options, if your <i>*Employer requires you* </i>to work with PPC/WCE devices. Your employer will often have given you the device, or may require you to supply one yourself - that is not the point of this poll. If you chose to use a PPC for work, then you would answer '<i>No</i>'.

farnold
09-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Wanna bet that the majority will click for the first option? And wanna bet as well that the majority will also be buying their PocketPCs themselves?

I think the question should have been who actually pays for a PocketPC - the employee or the employer?

scargill
09-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Well what about me, I'm self employed and have to use my PPC as part of my job quite regularly.
I make websites and one of my unique selling points is to get them working on handheld devices, a quite low number of people actually seem to take it up though....ho hum

surur
09-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Ya, I agree. People are misunderstanding the poll. Required means your employer gave you a pocketpc to do some work.

People are not reading the guidance.

Surur

Jonathon Watkins
09-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Wanna bet that the majority will click for the first option?

I don't think they will, but we shall see.....

And wanna bet as well that the majority will also be buying their PocketPCs themselves?

Well, that is not what I was asking. I was very specific in what I asked. :)

I think the question should have been who actually pays for a PocketPC - the employee or the employer?

I take your point Farnold, but I believe I was quite clear what this poll was about. If folks don't read the guidance, then that's up to them. :?

Jonathon Watkins
09-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Ya, I agree. People are misunderstanding the poll. Required means your employer gave you a pocketpc to do some work.

I added an 'edit' to re-clarify.

People are not reading the guidance.

It would appear. :?

Jonathon Watkins
09-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Well what about me, I'm self employed and have to use my PPC as part of my job quite regularly.

If you are working with it currently, I would tick 'Yes'. If you are not currently working then I would tick 'No, but I have in the past'. OK, when you are your own employer it muddles it slightly, but - your employer does *require* you to use one for work. :wink:

Silencer
09-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Oooh look, a poll. What does this button do?
How many people will choose this option just because it sounds so funny...

Jonathon Watkins
09-20-2004, 01:22 PM

That's OK. :wink: There's always some folks who don't fit into any other the other categories and who want a 'silly' poll option. In this case, I expect the silly answer to equate to 'No, I've never worked with PPC/WCE devices'.

I am interested in knowing the number of folks who currently, or previously have worked with PPC &WCE devices for thier employer. Oh, and any interesting stories folks have got of working with them. So, anyone got something to share? :)

ctitanic
09-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Ok, here is my situation. I have two jobs, the dayly job where I work as IT Manager and my second job where... well I guess you all know what I do in my second job: programing, marketing of my programs, etc. :D

In my first job, I use the PPC as a tool that makes me more efficient. For example I created a database with all the users names and passwords and in my department I have two more guys, they had their personal PPC (they bought it) and they found that that database is good for them when they are logging on and off in our clients PCs, so they use my database. Would I recommend to use a Pocket PC in my job? Well, I donīt think so. One, because I donīt see any need to do so, Second, it will create more problems than the advantages that we are going to get.

In my second job I handle all of it from my PPC. I have a database that controls all sales, including the creation of serial numbers of each client if itīs requiered. This database created in VisualCE give me monthlty reports of sales by programs and by resellers, and it can predict more or less how the current month is going to end from the point of view of number of sales ($).

So in my case, I voted using the last option ;) even when In my opinion I use the Pocket PC in my jobs. ;)

dean_shan
09-20-2004, 05:54 PM

Uh I would.

dazz
09-20-2004, 07:06 PM
I do custom development for DDH Software, so, it's required! ;)