View Full Version : problem exiting ActiveSync

campusminister
09-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I have a x30high. When I use the Dell switcher bar to exit AS, it always gives me the "not responding" page, tap ok to close immediately.

Does it do this for everyone? Why does it do this? Is it a bug or a feature?

Sven Johannsen
09-16-2004, 02:20 AM
That's normal. Active Sync tends to run most of the time, but when it is not actually connected doesn't take much memory and virtually no processor time. Some task switchers close AS and some don't, and some show the error. You'll note you can elect to close it or leave it running with Switcher Bar.

Imagine yourself in the cradle, trying to get your self all synced up and you decide it might be worthwhile to shut down all the apps you have running to free up some program space. You hit close all and AS closes as well. That stops your sync in mid sync, and you have to uncradle and recradle, or turn off and on, to get it going again. Irritating, Huh?

I prefer my task switcher to leave AS alone, and second best is Task switcher that gives me the option to close or not, if it is running. The message is a bit disconcerting maybe. Be nicer if it just asked if you were sure, rather than saying it's not responding.

PetiteFlower
09-16-2004, 09:37 PM
The message is normal for the Axim anyway, I don't know about any other PPC. I turn it off, it bugs me :)

However, NEVER EVER EVER close Activesync when your PPC is in the cradle!!! I did this by accident once and ended up having to hard reset because activesync would no longer recognize that my PPC was plugged into the cradle and wouldn't sync anything. Even after soft resets and uninstalling/reinstalling activesync. It SUCKED. My backup was old at that point too :(

Sven Johannsen
09-17-2004, 02:47 AM
The message is normal for the Axim anyway, I don't know about any other PPC. I turn it off, it bugs me :) (

You turn off ActiveSync? or you turn off the message? I know on the HPs that doing a close all from iTask doesn't even try to turn of AS if it is running.

You might think Pocket Plus would shut it down, but it doesn't either. IF AS is running it doesn't even show up in the running programs when you drop down the list from the X. If you select close all, it closes all except AS.

PetiteFlower
09-17-2004, 07:39 PM
I shut down activesync. It shows up in the task list using Dell's task switcher. I click Exit All Programs, I hit OK on the error message, and it goes away. Until the next time I sync. No problems at all.