View Full Version : Where will PPCT be in 10 years?

OSUKid7
09-15-2004, 01:06 AM
So I began thinking, I haven't even been alive two decades, yet look how much technology has improved since 1994. Where do you think the world Pocket PCs, and more specificly the Pocket PC Thoughts community, will be in 10 years? To me 2014 seems a long way off, but where do the rest of you think we'll be in 10 years?

Darius Wey
09-15-2004, 01:14 AM
By 2014, who knows what Pocket PCs will look like, and if they will even exist? ;)

Maybe PPCT's name will change to something like: Hard-Core Technology Thoughts?

Haha...I'll leave that to Jason to decide. :D

maximus
09-15-2004, 01:49 AM
To me 2014 seems a long way off, but where do the rest of you think we'll be in 10 years?

In 2014, PPCs are going to be genetically embedded in everyone's brain, with a sliding keypad on your palm. The more RAM/ROM you have will define your IQ. heh. I should stop watching Johnny Mnemonic.

Wiggster
09-15-2004, 06:29 AM
In 2014, PPCs are going to be genetically embedded in everyone's brain, with a sliding keypad on your palm.

Two things:
1. The former 3COM company will have ultimate brand recognition when you get a keypad on your palm.
2. I'd hate to think where you stick the stylus when you need to hard reset your in-body PDA.

Darius Wey
09-15-2004, 08:50 AM
2. I'd hate to think where you stick the stylus when you need to hard reset your in-body PDA.

Just push your belly button. ;)

maximus
09-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Are you picking your nose or soft-resetting ? :p

spinedoc
09-15-2004, 12:31 PM
If the last 10 years are any indication we should see 800X600 screens and 256mb of RAM, we might also even see a new OS, maybe...

Sarcasm aside, the PPC will not exist in 10 years, and probably not in 5. Ultraportables will easily be the size of the PPC, and someone will have come up with a novel solution to the keyboard problem, possibly a laser keyboard. Don't forget about the flexible displays coming out as well. I would picture a pen sized unit with a retractable display and a laser keyboard.

Janak Parekh
09-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Sarcasm aside, the PPC will not exist in 10 years, and probably not in 5.
That's entirely possible, but I do expect some of the codebits to exist in various devices. Perhaps Smartphones will include all of the features that define a Pocket PC, and mini PCs will take over the Pocket PC formfactor. I've found it's very difficult to predict things in this industry.

--janak

David Prahl
09-19-2004, 05:44 AM
Think of ten years in the past... 8O

I'm thinking PPCT will be a 'channel' you view from your all-in-everything-in-one device. Holographic display, voice and gesture recognition, holographic forums and discussion.

"Everyone who thinks Palms still suck raise your hand". :lol:

Kowalski
09-19-2004, 09:11 AM
i am sure that for the next 5 years pocketpc s will evolve and more and more people will begin to use this kind of devices. maybe WindowsCE 5.0 wont be a big quantum lead, but will be a huge improvement for sure.
with the newer OS, (give 1 year to Microsoft) and the newer devices which using this OS(give another year to the manifucturers) and the software companies adapting their software to take advantage of new OS( at least 2 years), PPCs will be more powerfull for sure.
Also as you see from my time estimates there is 4-5 years clear befoure new devices other than pocket pc concept will hit the shelves

WyattEarp
09-19-2004, 04:08 PM
I give Pocket PCs another 10 years unless one of two things happen. 1. Interestest just fades out for any given reason. 2. Sales aren't enough to generate a profit forcing companies to stop production. IMO we are currently looking at a little bit of both. Although companies are buying PPCs, they are keeping the same devices for more than 3 years. They just don't upgrade devices as we do and neither does the average user.

SteveHoward999
09-19-2004, 04:44 PM
In 10 years PPCs will be minute gadgets that don't have any wired attachment to screen or keyboard. They will be at least as powerful as a current high-end laptop.

They will be able to connect to external screens via a bluetooth-like interface. Same with other peripherals like a mouse, keyboard, 'permanent' discs (super-high capacity CD/DVD discs) or more likely solid-state memory.

If a screen is not available, the PPC will also be able to drive a display presented on glasses or a visor.

Even better, the PPC can drive a holographic 3D screen :i got it:

These will truly be *personal* computers, small enough to hang on a keychain or slip into a wallet. We won't ever need to pull them out to use them - all we will need to do is be near suitable pripherals - a touchscreen or 'touch' sensitive holographic display for instance.

Most other things about them will be things we can't imagine right now. 10 years ago I could not imagine a hand-held device that can be a phone, a music player, a video player, a radio, a GPS system, connect to the Internet (I had barely heard of the internet 10 years ago!) a games machine, a calculator, a diary, a contacts database, a word processor, a star chart, a camera, a photo editor, a VIDEO camera, a voice recorder, a book reader, a tv remote control, a newspaper, speech-to-text note taker, hand-written note recogniser, a device for controling PCs and servers ... etc etc etc

.... so I am pretty sure no-one here can imagine all that a PPC will be in 10 years from now.

Steve