View Full Version : iPAQ 1945 Bluetooth Problem

Hethe
09-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Please reply if you have any thoughts...

A week or so ago I started getting an error message whenever I soft-resetted saying, "BTTrayCE is not a valid PocketPC application." The bluetooth system-tray icon, naturally, disappeared and I am unable to start bluetooth in any other way. I soft-resetted, and then hard-resetted multiple times in an attempt to solve the problem.

I flashed the ROM to version 1.10 using the tool from HP's site. After that, the error message changed to: "Cannot find 'BTTrayCE' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available."

When I scan the files in the My Device/Windows directory, I see what look to be the bluetooth files, but none of them appear to be functional. If I try to open them, I get the same "Cannot find..." error message that I get at soft reset.

Is this a registry problem? I can't figure out why it would be as, after hard-resetting AND upgrading the ROM, I would think that everything would be back to factory settings. I'm not a programmer, so this may reveal a serious misunderstanding of the principle, but can I reinstall the bluetooth files (to the ROM or to the RAM)?

Otherwise, I'm guessing it is a hardware problem and I'll have to send it in to HP in order to have it serviced. It's out of warranty, so I'm doing my best to avoid this scenario.

Any help would be appreciated!

Darius Wey
09-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Do you get this error message immediately after hard-reseting your device?

I'd like to think that it is a software issue and that hard-reseting (which restores your device to factory settings) would solve it. Try using Bluetooth immediately after hard-reseting and ensure you do not install any other programs before you do that. I'd like to see if it still occurs immediately after a fresh hard-reset.

If it works fine, I'd be beginning to think that these error messages may be due to a software conflict that you have on your device. If it still doesn't work fine immediately after a hard-reset, I'd be looking more along the lines of a hardware problem.

Let us know how it goes.

Hethe
09-15-2004, 01:37 AM
The error does come up immediately after hard-reset. It also came up immediately after the ROM upgrade.

Strange, I know. You would think that the hard reset and ROM upgrade would correct the problem.

I've found some posts on other sites from people that seem to have had a similar problem. Some have suggested that they had luck by copying the bluetooth files from a working 1945 and overwriting them on to the non-working 1945.

The problem is that I can't seem to track down the bluetooth files. The URLs on the posts are no longer active. Any thoughts?

Darius Wey
09-15-2004, 08:55 AM
I reckon your best bet would be to contact HP. I'm not sure how much help they would be but you could perhaps inform them of your situation, which they may already know about, and can walk you through the process of getting it fixed. Just a thought. :)

By the way, it may also help to check out the HP forums. Some people post their problems there as well.

x999x
09-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Hello, I have this problem as well, and have found my own temporary solution. The permanent solution is to send it in to HP and have them fix it.

The area of the flashrom that contains all your OS data has become corrupt. For me, this was evoked when I ran out of room in my filestore area during a routine backup. As a result, I get the BTTrayCE error because the application itself is damaged, and files residing in filestore cannot be modified or deleted, they're stuck.

The temporary fix is an easy one if you have the options available to you. Take your SD Card to your local electronics shop and copy the files directly from their display model. You will need all of the BT exe and dll files. It's 4 exe files, 9 dll files, and 1 cpl file. Using your PC, explore your 1945's windows directory and rename each of the BT files you are about to replace. Copy the files over, and reset your device, the BTTray error will be gone, and BT functionality will be back.

Notes-

1- Revert back to the old ROM image, the new "update" ROM uses different dll files than the 1945 floor models, so you will not get full functionality with your newly aquired files.

2- If you can't copy the files over, move them to another folder and use a program like Resco Explorer to copy the files over the ones in the windows directory. First try renaming, then copying over.

3- Soft Resets will retain your replacement files, hard resets however will replace them with the old corrupt files.

4- I have been using this just fine for months now. I've already paid 200 to have the LCD replaced, they're not getting anymore money from me with this device, hence the poor man's solution.