View Full Version : Any other programs that read .lit files?

victore
09-14-2004, 01:28 AM
My WM2003SE e800 has been causing me grief when I try to read ebooks. I've tried both 2.2.3 and 2.3 of MS Reader and when I launch my books from my library, it appears my device locks up, but I can end the program and try again. One time, I left my device alone, and my device turned off (I have my e800 set to turn off after 4 minutes). I thought my ebooks were damaged, but when I tranfered it to my e750, running WM20003, they open fine.

I'd love to find a alternative to MS Reader, does anyone know of one that will read .lit files?

Oreocat
09-14-2004, 02:19 AM
Just by doing a google search for ebook reader .lit, I came up with Tiny Ebook reader on the first page.

I'm fairly certain there's a couple more (ubook maybe?), so you might try searching Handango for ebook readers, or try this link http://cebooks.blogspot.com/ which has a list of ebook readers on the left side towards the bottom.

Good luck :)

Janak Parekh
09-14-2004, 05:11 AM
As far as I can tell, Reader 2.3 (don't even try 2.2.3) has major issues with SE and VGA. The UI components don't tap where they are, which makes it seem locked-up. I need to escalate the issue with MS.

In the meantime, try the SE_VGA (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14679) hack. It makes all the UI components tiny, but I find that at least Reader seems to work reliably. :)

--janak

victore
09-14-2004, 05:47 AM
Oreo and Janak,

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out Tiny eBook Reader and the SE_VGA program.

Jorgen
09-14-2004, 06:25 AM
Tiny e-book reader does not read secure (DRM) .LIT files.

Could the cause of the problems you have had with MS Reader be low memory? MS Reader (at least 2002 and down) grabs an awful lot of memory, especially if there are illustrations in the book.

Jorgen

victore
09-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Jorgen, I've got plenty o RAM. Janek hit the nail on head, when I ran MS Reader with SE_VGA, my ebooks opened up quickly.

dMores
09-14-2004, 10:56 AM
hitting the nail on the head:

http://www.mores.cc/nail_head.gif

hehe !

ignatz
09-14-2004, 09:58 PM
There's also a way out of MS Reader by using ConvertLit*. This is a .lit file decompiler, and turns them into HTML. This can then be converted by iSilo or a similar program. I've used this in order to read MS Reader files on my Palm.

*URL removed by Mod SJC, Please Google the name!

socrates63
09-15-2004, 12:51 AM
Just by doing a google search for ebook reader .lit, I came up with Tiny Ebook reader on the first page.
Awesome. I've been looking for an alternative LIT reader for a while.

I love PalmReader's ability to customize text and background colors. At least Tiny Reader has a night time mode (white text on black background) which helps me a lot. I find looking at text on a dark background much more pleasing especially in a dark room. But too bad you can't select different fonts beyond Tahoma and Courier.

I just installed the trial. I found that Pocketgear has it for $12 while Handango charges $15.99. Thus far, I've purchased all my software from Handango but maybe I'll give Pocketgear a try.

Ward
09-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Here, too.

Cheers!

Tye
09-24-2004, 03:52 AM
I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to (or has already started to) program a .lit plugin for uBook? It would be a really nice plugin to have.