View Full Version : Pocket PC Users Experiencing Trouble With Skype?

Jason Dunn
09-14-2004, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117763,tk,dn091304X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n091304X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Pocket PC users who were expecting to use Skype Technologies' SkypeOut service to make telephone calls via the Internet may find themselves without a dial-tone. Skype introduced version 1.0 of its Internet telephony application for Pocket PCs last week, but this version--the first nonbeta release of the software--does not work well on all Pocket PCs, users report."</i><br /><br />According to this PC World article, some Pocket PC users are experiencing trouble with the Skype client on their devices. I tried the beta on my iPAQ 4150, and it worked nicely (though it prooved how quiet the speaker really is). Anyone having trouble with Skype on their Pocket PCs?

dblml320
09-14-2004, 01:15 AM
I tried Skype 1.0 on my Dell Axim X3i, and it did not work. It came up, and I could make calls, but the party on the other end could not hear me. I have been told that Skype knows they have an issue with the Microphone on the Dell Axim. I submitted a trouble report to them and have not heard anything back from them yet.

Since I could not get Skype to work I decided to try stanaphone, another pocketpc and windows based solution. I have to say .. I AM IMPRESSED!

I signed up for stanaphone, and immediately received a real phone number! I installed the software on my pocketpc, and it worked first time. I bought some time via PayPal. I also installed the Winodws beta and it worked flawlessly.

I tried a test call to myself, and when I did not answer, I got a phone mail prompt and I left a message. About 20 minutes later I received an email with a WAV file attached that was my message. This is totally cool

I will go back and try Skype when I hear that it is fixed ... but really stanaphone does everything I need, so Skype would have to provide a feature that stanaphone does not have, in order for me to switch permanently.

Jereboam
09-14-2004, 01:32 AM
Apparently there is a Skype to POTS issue with the PPC client, whereas Skype to Skype calls work fine.

I have only tried dialling to POTS with the PPC, and can confirm that the other party could not hear me. Whether this is a mic issue or a more global problem I do not know.

J'bm

Falstaff
09-14-2004, 04:32 AM
I couldn't even get the newest Skype to install, I uninstalled the old beta I had and then installing the new version failed for some reason. It would go through everything and then say some file wasn't sopied right, I have to try uninstalling it from my PC and then trying again. The beta worked for me though, which struck me as kind of odd.

lf777
09-14-2004, 05:08 AM
It is working perfectly for me. The previous version did not. I am using a Dell Axim X30. Skype-Skyspe is excellent, haven't tried Skypeout, though....

Leo
http://medPDA.net

rrusa
09-14-2004, 07:05 AM
IPAQ 4350

Didn't work out for me...

Installed fine...I could make calls, but no one could hear me - just a lot of BUZZING on their end.

Will try again later....

howlettg
09-14-2004, 11:10 AM
I tried Skype 1.0 on my IPAQ 5550. With SkypeOut the person I was calling could only hear a buzzing noise. Skype to Skype calls worked perfectly.

The Skype forums have a few threads on this problem and I remember reading that they thought they would have a fix in the next week or so.

shanafme
09-14-2004, 01:54 PM
I'm experiencing the same problem with my iPaq h5555. Calls work fine when calling another SKype user, but when using SkypeOut, the other end can't hear me.

I downgraded to version .94 and it seems to work. The problem seems to only be in version 1.0.

DiGiTYZED
09-14-2004, 06:03 PM
PocketSkype 1.0 locks up my whole PPC when I hit the Accept button on the end-user license agreement (EULA) page. It's been doing that for that last couple of betas actually. I can't even get to sign-in. Weird because one of the first betas I tried worked perfectly (skype to skype only). Though I did have WM2K3 then and WM2K3 SE now... hmmmm.....

onepieceman
09-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Same for me on my XDA2. Can hear everything perfectly, but all the guy on the other end of the SkypeOut connection hears is a very loud buzzing. If it's to do with the microphone, then it doesn't seem to be device specific...