View Full Version : HP 4155 doesn't turn off on its own

Jacob
09-13-2004, 05:54 AM
After the daily backup the screen just dims, but the device doesn't turn off.

The backup happens at 4AM and when I get up at 8AM the screen is still on - so the battery has run out a fair bit more.

Anyone seen this or knows what to do to force it off? (the power setting is set to turn off after 3 minutes).

Andy Whiteford
09-13-2004, 10:22 AM
I don't use scheduled backups so can't comment on this but any other time, does your device power off automatically after 3 mins? If not, there may be some software that keeps the device 'alive' and overrides any power saving features - TomTom Navigator has this setting that can be activated for example.

If in doubt, try a soft reset then leave you device on for 3 mins and see if it powers off as expected. This should work given that no third party apps should be running in memory at this point.

Jacob
09-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I should have thought about doing that. I just tried it and it didn't power off even with a manual reset.

I'll have to try taking stuff out of the startup folder next and see if any of those are causing this.

Andy Whiteford
09-13-2004, 03:19 PM
I would recommend removing any storage cards and doing a soft reset and then leaving for 3 mins to see if it powers off by itself. Also check what your backlight setting is and see if that is turning off by itself. Do you have much software installed?? Also if you can check your startup folder as well and list what shortcuts are in there too that would be helpful.

Jacob
09-14-2004, 04:41 AM
It's the storage card it seems.

If I take out the storage card then it turns off. Otherwise, it doesn't.

What could it be with the storage card? Is there any way to get around that other than keeping the storage card out? There is one shortcut in the startup folder that points to the storage card, but when I take that out of the startup, it still stays on if the card is still in.

Andy Whiteford
09-14-2004, 11:18 AM
It's the storage card it seems.

If I take out the storage card then it turns off. Otherwise, it doesn't.

What could it be with the storage card? Is there any way to get around that other than keeping the storage card out? There is one shortcut in the startup folder that points to the storage card, but when I take that out of the startup, it still stays on if the card is still in.

What is the shortcut for? If it isn't that software then it may be a defective card causing the problem.

Sven Johannsen
09-14-2004, 02:37 PM
You did do a soft reset after taking the shortcut out of the startup folder, right? Whatever it is is still running in memory till you do.

Jacob
09-14-2004, 03:32 PM
You did do a soft reset after taking the shortcut out of the startup folder, right? Whatever it is is still running in memory till you do.

I did.

The shortcut actually doesn't point to the storage card - it's an app DBMirror that comes with Sprite PocketBackup that backs up the PIM data to the file store.

The shortcuts I have are:
poutlook
BTTrayCE
DBMirror.lnk
Usbreg
WisBarAdv - Wisbar is installed to memory.

Andy Whiteford
09-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Hmmm, it sounds like either you have a faulty card or a dodgy registry entry somewhere that is perhaps pointing to the card. Not sure how to get round this - you may want to try backing up your device and then doing a hard reset and also formatting the SD card. See if a totally clean device and card combination shuts off normally. If not then it sounds like a hardware issue with the SD card itself. If it does shut off normally after all this then I would reinstall what you need from scratch instead of from the backup but it depends on how far you wish to go to resolve this.