View Full Version : 5455 WiFi gone???

hogger_jeff
09-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Strange problem. The WiFi on my 5455 won't turn on any more. No matter what I do, I can't get even the little orange light to start blinking, never mind the green one. Bluetooth indicator still comes on. I've tried everything short of a hard reset. FWIW, I've got the upgrade to WM2003, but the Wireless has been working flawlessly for months. This is a sudden thing, with NO system changes or software installs to prompt it. Any suggestions, or is the wireless on this Ipaq just prone to quitting? :cry:

hogger_jeff
09-11-2004, 10:31 PM
:? OK...got it. Hard reset did the job. Still wish I could do an activesync over WiFi, though. I can connect, but only as a guest. I guess it's one of those things you never fix...! :|

Ultima
09-12-2004, 04:28 AM
Next time pop the battery off for about a minute or two, then put it back on. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't say why this worked on my 'ol 5455 (may it rest in shame) but it did.

Maybe the WiFi circuits just need to discharge a bit?

manny-
09-13-2004, 04:50 PM
yes i got the same problem there must be some other way to get the wlan starting i dont want to remove the battery every time the wlan stops working i have downloaded all wifi updates on hp's website but still only works sometimes

hogger_jeff
09-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Next time pop the battery off for about a minute or two, then put it back on. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't say why this worked on my 'ol 5455 (may it rest in shame) but it did.

Maybe the WiFi circuits just need to discharge a bit?

Isn't that just the same as doing a hard reset? I thought a hard reset momentarily disconnects the battery. I still have the headache of doing a restore afterwards.

that_kid
09-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Isn't that just the same as doing a hard reset? I thought a hard reset momentarily disconnects the battery. I still have the headache of doing a restore afterwards.

No it's not. When you remove the battery there is an internal battery that keeps power to the ram so you don't loose anything. When the battery is put back on all your programs and settings are still intact.

disconnected
09-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Removing/re-inserting the battery just causes a soft reset, not a hard reset; no restores necessary. It's worked for me in the past -- I have a 5555 which occasionally loses WiFi.

I see I type so slowly that That_Kid already answered the question. :)

hogger_jeff
09-17-2004, 05:12 PM
No it's not. When you remove the battery there is an internal battery that keeps power to the ram so you don't loose anything. When the battery is put back on all your programs and settings are still intact.

Very cool. I'll remember that. I will say one thing, though... ever since I did the hard reset, my signal strength seems to be much better and connections are more reliable than they were before! :D

Now - I still have to figure out why Activesync on my PC only shows me as a guest when I try to sync via WiFi... :roll:

manny-
09-19-2004, 03:44 PM
damn crap i will buy a palm!