View Full Version : Suddenly failing hp 19xx batteries?

STW
09-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Battery in my 1945 is suddenly unable to hold power. It will drop from 100% to 70% overnight without any activity. It used to go days and days with lots of use before dropping to 70%.

Did a search but coulnd't find if this is a known problem. Is there a fix I should try?
Anybody had experience with HP warrenty dept. with a failing battery?
How can I tell if this is a failing battery (meaning I could replace it with a 19xx battery from CompUSA or similar), or if it's a problem with the 1945 that would affect a new battery too?

Thanks,
Mitch

dlangton
09-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Batteries wear out gradually. Sounds like yours is. I really doubt that it would be covered under waranty. Time to buy a new one. God idea to keep your old one as a spare.

Darius Wey
09-12-2004, 05:23 AM
How old is your battery and on average, how often would you use it? If you've only had it for a short time and don't use it often, you may have got a rotten egg and I'd contact HP about it.

STW
09-12-2004, 09:27 AM
How old is your battery and on average, how often would you use it? If you've only had it for a short time and don't use it often, you may have got a rotten egg and I'd contact HP about it.

This hp 1945 is only 8 months old, and I'm not a heavy user. And the battery perf. fell off suddenly not gradually so that may suggest a defect. I hope you're right, Apod. Surely it's not expected that the lithium ion battery will go out in 8 months? My ipaq 3650's battery is still going strong after over 4 years, and I think a pda (expecially an Hp with their rep for toughness, longevity, since the 70s) should last a few years--even if there are better models out every 6 months.

--Mitch

Darius Wey
09-12-2004, 09:38 AM

This hp 1945 is only 8 months old, and I'm not a heavy user. And the battery perf. fell off suddenly not gradually so that may suggest a defect. I hope you're right, Apod. Surely it's not expected that the lithium ion battery will go out in 8 months? My ipaq 3650's battery is still going strong after over 4 years, and I think a pda (expecially an Hp with their rep for toughness, longevity, since the 70s) should last a few years--even if there are better models out every 6 months.

--Mitch

This definitely sounds like a defect. I've had my h1940 for about a year now, and I use it day-in, day-out. I can have it charged before I go to bed, wake up the next morning, and the battery level will still be at 100%. I would definitely contact HP and inform them of the situation. Hopefully they will do something about it.