View Full Version : Why no MSN Direct enabled PocketPC models?

PPCRules
09-10-2004, 08:24 PM
When the SPOT watches utilizing the MSN Direct network came out last spring or whenever, I thought it would be a nice technology to build into a PocketPC.

I don't care for a thick, ugly watch that has to be charged every night, but having the same info available on my PocketPC, with a big display and a big battery that often gets charged anyway, seemed like a slick deal to me. With a slow uptake on the watches, and Microsoft still having to pay for the underutilized infrastructure, it seems like there would be a lot of reason to expand the system usage onto another platform (unless they have already decided to let it have a quite death).

So, with all the new models of PocketPCs coming out this fall, I have wondered if anyone would make a bold move like integrating something like that. There is not much differentiation between new models, so something like that would at least get some extra attention.

I suppose it cost a bit to add this to a design, and these OEMs are trying to make devices as cheaply as possible (I'd rather have an accuarate, working D-pad than an MSN Direct receiver). Microsoft seems to be staying out of driving design decisions beyond it's basic minimum specs, but if it would subsidize something like this in design and production costs, it could pay back in subscription revenue.

I'd probably even pay a little to get a plug-in CF receiver if someone made one.

Does anyone else think this would be an attractive PocketPC feature?

szamot
09-10-2004, 10:58 PM
my guess would be that it is far cheaper to do market research with a cheap watch than PPC. Besides that PPC have WiFi so all the diehard users can get what they need and when they need it.

Sven Johannsen
09-11-2004, 12:00 AM
I voted No, and I am the proud owner of a SPOT watch. I think that the majority of the data that I get on my watch is already available for the PPC. You can find it via Avantgo, or World Off-Line, for a once in a while web scraping, or you can grab up to the minute stuff via WiFi or GPRS.

To see it on the PPC you need to get it out and turn it on, even though that isn't all that difficult, it is still not as immediate and unobtrusive as just glancing at your watch. I don't think it would add much to the PPC, except the opportunity to spend $60 a year to get it.