View Full Version : Essential Software

korngold
09-10-2004, 07:55 PM
I noticed mention of this in another post, but felt that it was worthy of its own thread.

My picks are:

Pocket Player ($14.95) - This is an excellent MP3 program with programmable EQ, its skinnable. The best feature of this program is the ability to cache while playing. This essentially allows you to use a microdrive and cache, say, 32mb, at a time (if you have that much free RAM), so your MD only spins up once every 18-30 minutes. This is the principal by which iPods and Muvos and all other MP3 players function, and the sole reason they are able to use little battery power while containing small hard drives.

When minimized, it puts a new row on your Today screen with rw/fw/play/pause/stop button, song title, and time meter. So, you can still listen minimized. Also offers button mappings, and allows you to shut of screen to save power.

Does anyone know of a free MP3 program that allows file caching?

PocketAmp (Free) - This is actually the latest revision of the program "PocketMIDI," which is a wonderful tool for musicians. You can play MIDI files, and do some instrument assignments. I haven't tinkered with it too much, but it is definitely worth having. The exe is small, but the MIDI instrument patch file is about 5meg, though it can be placed on a removeable drive.

PocketTune (Free) - Sensing a trend here? :D This is a great little program that does what it says--it's a pocket tuner, and also includes a metronome. It has presets for Guitar, Bass, Cello, Viola, and Violin tunings (standard).

StopTime (Free) - Stopwatch and timer program. Great for coaches, or anyone who has random things that they need to time while they are out and about. I use it when I roast coffee.

Cantris (Free) - Free and addictive Tetris clone with high score memory.

BetaPlayer (Free) - Free DivX player for PocketPC. I haevn't used it much, but even on my A-vox Maestro (32mb/32mb/206mHz) video is smooth in full screen.

[/i]

gregmills
09-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Does anyone where I can get the latest BetaPlayer besides the CoreCodec.org site? They announced a new version but their site's been down so I can't get it. :frusty: