View Full Version : Car Connection for Pocket PC?

Thaedson
09-10-2004, 04:43 AM
I'm looking to connect my pocket pc directly into my stereo system in my new car. I'm currently using FM modulation, which is "ok" but not perfect. I've seen some Blitzsafe interface products but nothing on how to conenct the Blitz to the pocket pc.

Anyone done this?

Thanks.

Supaiku
09-10-2004, 04:58 AM
If you'r head unit has RCA-in on the back you could install or have someone instal jacks to the front and then just get a converter, or you could get a little tape thingy if you have a tapedeck. Thats pretty much it as far as I know.

From looking at the blitz thing's website it seems like they have an installation kit for most proprietary head units with an aux connection that it seems is just a simple RCA connection... what you would hook up a portable cd player, mp3 player or..... PDA (!) to. You just need a converter that you can get at radio shack from RCA to standard headphones plug (unless your PDA has somthing differnt ???).

frankenbike
09-11-2004, 07:35 AM
I'm looking to connect my pocket pc directly into my stereo system in my new car. I'm currently using FM modulation, which is "ok" but not perfect. I've seen some Blitzsafe interface products but nothing on how to connect the Blitz to the pocket pc.

Anyone done this?

Thanks.

Are you using a wireless FM modulator or an inline one?

From what I read on the Blitzsafe site, if you have a radio that their Auxiliary interface works with, it has two RCA output jacks and you just need an RCA stereo to mini adapter that plugs into the headphone jack on your PPC.

Sadly, they don't have one for my Pontiac radio. Which is probably just as well, since I'll probably be buying a new car stereo which takes MP3 CDs and has an aux jack built in. Of course, then I have to get an interface to convert the jack from the steering wheel remote ;)

Thaedson
09-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a very basic Alpine Business CD for my car (325i). I think your correct on the blitzsafe product but I'm going to call them and discuss it today if I can.

I use the wireless FM modulator and 90% of the time it works great, the other 10% I'm fighting interference.

A friend told me that BMW sells an interface that puts a 3.5 plug in your glove box, this is another option I will be exploring.

frankenbike
09-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a very basic Alpine Business CD for my car (325i). I think your correct on the blitzsafe product but I'm going to call them and discuss it today if I can.

I use the wireless FM modulator and 90% of the time it works great, the other 10% I'm fighting interference.

A friend told me that BMW sells an interface that puts a 3.5 plug in your glove box, this is another option I will be exploring.

The wireless FM modulators won't even work 20% of the time where I live. I'm assuming by this last post that you have a BMW.

The in-line FM modulators supposedly eliminate all the interference you get with the wireless ones, but it's still FM. If you have the option of some sort of direct Aux-in that's obviously the best option.

If you have the choice of locating the jack wherever you want, my choice would be the center console storage area, because it's kind of annoying having a wire strung from the glove box to an auxiliary device if you don't have the remote controls that BMW is supposed to be offering for their iPod interface. If you get some sort of dash mount, then you want to locate the jack somewhere unseen that gives the wire the least obtrusive run. Diagonally from the glove box would be kind of ugly.