View Full Version : What software to load while weathering out Ivan

Kt3
09-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Yup, looks like we're about to get thrashed around again by a hurricane for the third time in a month. So, do any of you have any ideas about what Pocket PC software I might find useful in the days before, during, and after the storm?

I have an iPaq 4150 and a laptop without a bluetooth adapter.

peace,

kt

Steven Cedrone
09-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Well, I know I would invest in a way to charge my devices in the likely event of your losing power...

Steve

Kt3
09-09-2004, 06:37 PM
I have enough gas to power our generator for a couple of days. But I know for sure that if this storm ends up in the gulf and hits anywhere near Tampa as a category 4 or 5, staying at home so I can keep recharging the batteries on my laptop and PDA might be funny, but ridiculously stupid.

Solar power is pointless. A battery backup with a decent running time could cost as much as 20 iPaq replacement batteries, weigh a lot more, and still not last nearly as long.

But you're definitely right, software isn't going to do you any good when your battery lasts 2-3 hours at best. What to do?

I am so looking forward to the day when batteries run on ethanol, last 30 hours for a PDA on a single fill, and satellite internet is accessible everywhere for a flat rate of 20 bucks a month. And if you ever run out of juice, you can bum some liquor from a homeless dude for a quick recharge. :lol:

kt

PetiteFlower
09-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Right, just make sure you take your charger cables so you can recharge from your hotel room/friend's house/wherever you go that isn't home if the storm is going to hit your area full force.

Heard on the radio this morning that Ivan killed at least 20 people in Grenada yesterday, with winds of 160mph. Nothing to mess with, that one!

You might though look into one of the chargers powered by ordinary alkaline batteries; not too expensive and can give you some emergency juice in case your hotel loses power too ;)

As for software, definitely some movies and ebooks. For your laptop there are games that can pass the time really fast but I don't know what kind of games you like so I can't really give any recommendations. My roommate got a big kick out of Doom 3 for a while until he beat it.

disconnected
09-09-2004, 10:25 PM
I'd feel very insecure without my powerpak from data-nation., which uses AA batteries. I mainly use rechargeable AAs, but alkaline also work.

My own personal addictions are ebooks, Clickgamer's Cropped Out, and sometimes Astraware's Bookworm.

Jon Westfall
09-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Heard on the radio this morning that Ivan killed at least 20 people in Grenada yesterday, with winds of 160mph. Nothing to mess with, that one!

I love hurricane names - makes it sound like some serial killer named Ivan is lurking around...

You might though look into one of the chargers powered by ordinary alkaline batteries; not too expensive and can give you some emergency juice in case your hotel loses power too ;)

I have one of these, and while never actually having to use it, its given me great security. Came with a power charging pack I bought for my I-Mate. I-mate has been sold, but with the addition of a new charge/sync cable, the kit is still just as good as ever!

Darius Wey
09-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Yup, looks like we're about to get thrashed around again by a hurricane for the third time in a month. So, do any of you have any ideas about what Pocket PC software I might find useful in the days before, during, and after the storm?

Hurricane? That's gotta suck! But if you want software, umm....WeatherPanel or Journal Bar? Or any good weather utilities....that way, you can keep track of when, and how hard the hurricane is going to hit. (Just a thought).

Radimus
09-10-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm boarding up Saturday too, I haven't lost power for more than 30 minutes for the last one, but a cat 4 sitting in the bay isn't likely to leave much standing.

I have a LARGE UPS that I have a small lamp and small am/fm radio for it that I'll move into the living room (assuming I'll still have one) my laptop, cell phone, and iPAQ charger I'll leave in the car and charge from the car's battery. I have one of those emergency battery/jumpstarters, in case it kills my car battery. (assuming I still have a car)

A small inverter for the car is dgood enough to run a coffeepot or hot plate after the BBQ grill runs out of gas (assuming I still have a grill)

As for dirversions; Bookworm, Text twist, Word Mojo, ebooks, and Avantgo keep me entertained. then there is alway listening to the teenage girls bicker about how they cannot get a cell signal and who's turn it is to fish water out of the pond to fill the toilet tanks...

Radimus
.deleted.

Radimus
.deleted.

GoldKey
09-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Solar power is pointless. A battery backup with a decent running time could cost as much as 20 iPaq replacement batteries, weigh a lot more, and still not last nearly as long.

kt

Actually, I have the iSun solar charger and I think it makes a good backup.

From the latest storm update, it looks like Tampa to Tallahassee are going to feel this one.

Radimus
09-10-2004, 06:21 PM
http://www.omni-secure.com/oss_hurricane/protected/images/09LALLMDL.gif

How about this to try and plan for... Which way to go, Which way to go

Kt3
09-11-2004, 04:38 AM
Yeah, that storm is just ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks for the good ideas, I'll definitely load up on some ebooks and I already have a few games installed. I don't think I have enough time to order that AA battery adapter though.

kt