View Full Version : Do You Check Email From The Closet In Your Hotel Room?

Ed Hansberry
09-09-2004, 05:00 AM
<a href="http://www.careerjournal.com/columnists/cubicleculture/20040827-cubicle.html">http://www.careerjournal.com/columnists/cubicleculture/20040827-cubicle.html</a><br /><br />I know many of us check our emails when on leisure trips, partially because we can. :D Even though I often don't <i>need</i> to check daily, I usually do just to keep things flowing and not have a pile of emails to respond to when I get back. Yes, my wife gives me "the look" when I take time out from whatever is going on, so I do try to keep it to a minimum. Still, I've never had to hide my mobile online activities from her. Not so for some people.<br /><br /><i>The attitude of family and friends forces Mrs. Burack to do what any self-respecting nonrelaxer must do: deceive, beguile and swindle. Last March in Hawaii, for example, her husband expressed shock that she hadn't brought her BlackBerry. But "I had it," she admits. "I was hiding it." She used it when everyone else was asleep, and if they weren't, she would sneak into the bathroom or the closet. The closet? "Oh, yeah, that's nothing," she says.</i>

freitasm
09-09-2004, 05:13 AM
Of course I do. Anywhere, anytime... As you say, just because I can :), and I don't have to hide either...

nuka_t
09-09-2004, 05:18 AM
i played quake in history today.

arnage2
09-09-2004, 05:39 AM
lucky! when i play games in school (ppc or laptop) i get a slap on the hand. ive been told not to bring my ppc like 8 times. (im a jr in high school)

anyway, i paid $130+ for internet access during the 2 weeks i was in hawaii

dean_shan
09-09-2004, 05:40 AM

Please tell me you're in High-School.

Brad Adrian
09-09-2004, 05:54 AM
My wife used to really frown upon me bringing my notebook (and even sometimes my Pocket PCs) on our vacations. Then, during a trip to Washington DC, I was able to access so much helpful information and services (maps, tickets, etc.) that she doesn't complain any more.

Unfortunately, my work culture is such that it's frowned upon if on vacation we don't at least keep up with e-mail and "urgent" requests. I hate it, but they also provide me with a Blackberry, which (I'm sorry) is still the best tool for accessing Exchange e-mail.

nuka_t
09-09-2004, 06:05 AM

Please tell me you're in High-School.

im in high school, but its a college history class.

dean_shan
09-09-2004, 06:11 AM
That's not too bad then. I just hate it when people play games durring a class they paid money to go to.

nuka_t
09-09-2004, 06:19 AM
That's not too bad then. I just hate it when people play games durring a class they paid money to go to.

actually, i played a quick game of jawbreaker in history, but i played a full level of quake in trigonometry, but thats only cause we were sitting there with nothing to do for half an hour. :?

and im cheap, so i would never play games in something i payed for. i want to get what i paid for.

Silencer
09-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Just tried that here in my university´s toilet room. The signal was weak, so it didn´t really work...but of course: sure I do. Why shouldn´t I use the 15 minutes I spend there with something useful like answering emails?

maximus
09-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Of course. Not only in toilet. Everytime I am idle, I reach for my axim, and start firing GPRS.

mara6
09-09-2004, 01:18 PM
I like to play Billiard Master or Solitaire while in a boring class. :D

SeanH
09-09-2004, 01:58 PM
I do check my emails while traveling for business or leisure. My internet provider uses Postini to filter spam. Postini will let you forward emails to many locations. One option to send emails to your phone using SMS messaging. So all my emails get forward to my cell phone for me to review. If an email looks interesting on the phone I can use GSM/GPRS to retrieve the full email to my laptop or PDA over Bluetooth. It’s been a long time since I have had to use 56Kb modem or wired Ethernet. If the hotel I am at does not have WiFi I can normally pick up many open access points near the hotel. If that’s not the case I use GSM/GPRS over my phone. This is the coverage for GSM/GPRS for the USA from AT&T. http://www.attwireless.com/global/maps/coveragemap.jhtml?mapDisplay=nationalgsm/gprs&zip=44035&map=Y&mapMenu=Y&zipInput=Y
I have heard that GSM/GPRS is a lot more popular in other countries then it is in the USA.

Sean