View Full Version : Want New Software - Am I Missing Something Essential?

Jon Westfall
09-08-2004, 03:45 PM
OK, so this isn't a newbie "What are some good programs" thread. Its a thread from a veteran who wants to know if there are any awesomly good programs I haven't demo-ed or tried (Sometimes I miss a great product and am amazed to find it up to a year later!)

So here is what I have, tell me what I might want to get:

eWallet
ListPro
Calligrapher
Cell Profiler Pro
DoubleLauncher
Fonix PocketPC Bundle
Gigatask
Various Handmark Games
Phone Dashboard
IM+
MeetingMute
Mobipocket Reader Pro
MTux Software
Ostia
PhatPad
PI Today
Pocket Informant
Sprite Backup
Spb Imageer
Spb Pocket Plus
Spb Time
Textmaker
Vito ButtonMapper

I'm considering purchasing Resco File explorer, but it doesn't seem to have a defrag option in it, which I may find valuable. I need a file explorer that can format cards, and do FTP if possible.

And, of course, if anyone is looking at the above and wants my reactions to it, feel free to ask!

drop
09-08-2004, 07:16 PM
You have some nice apps.

Repligo (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=1CC836E32CA413EF1852XE7D92B2F1X8&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=51208&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=repligo) is on my must-have list.

I like BizBeam (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=1CC836E32CA413EF1852XE7D92B2F1X8&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=67430&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=bizbeam), but not everyone has the need for it.
I also find a dictionary app very handy. The one I have is Lextionary (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=1CC836E32CA413EF1852XE7D92B2F1X8&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=20657&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=Lextionary).

kazuni
09-08-2004, 08:29 PM
take a look at "Pocket Mechanics" by Omegaone, it has a great defragment tool plus analysis/repair options, registry scans, and more. Memmaid is another great one (system utility wise). I myself purchased memmaid only.

Brad Adrian
09-08-2004, 10:45 PM
If you access the Internet with your device (WiFi, dial-up, etc.) you might want to look at GPRS Monitor; it tracks your data usage and simplifies connecting. Also, the free tool from Boingo does a great job of finding WiFi signals and logging onto them.

StickyPenguin
09-08-2004, 11:19 PM
If you access the Internet with your device (WiFi, dial-up, etc.) you might want to look at GPRS Monitor;

I like pocketWinC by Cirond for finding and connecting to WiFi networks and hotspots.

It's the first app I bought - took the headache outta configuring my device to see my work and home WiFi networks :)

Kt3
09-09-2004, 07:12 PM
If you access the Internet with your device (WiFi, dial-up, etc.) you might want to look at GPRS Monitor;

I like pocketWinC by Cirond for finding and connecting to WiFi networks and hotspots.

It's the first app I bought - took the headache outta configuring my device to see my work and home WiFi networks :)

If you have an iPaq 4150 with the 1.10 ROM, pocketWinC won't show you the correct signal strength values. HP broke this functionality on all wi-fi scanners, but most of them have fixed it with updates. WiFiFoFum 0.3.3 and WiFi Graph are two that come to mind. I have no idea when Cirond plans to fix pocketWinC. I really wish they would hurry up, because pocketWinC is the cleanest looking scanner out there really (although I am particularly fond of WF3's radar style display).

kt

StickyPenguin
09-09-2004, 09:52 PM
If you have an iPaq 4150 with the 1.10 ROM, pocketWinC won't show you the correct signal strength values.

yep - upgraded my rom to 1.1 just after it was released. Was a bit miffed to find the signal strength values missing. I'm sure they are working on a release that fixes this but no sign of anything yet :-(

Tye
09-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Pocket HackMaster
uBook :D - Free
WisBar Advance v2 - Free
1Calc
ThunderHawk - v2.0 beta is GREAT
No Plugins Today - Free
AgileMessenger - Free

Yes, Resco file explorer is really great too.

Jon Westfall
09-10-2004, 12:21 AM
No Plugins Today looks really awesome, and i'm going to try out repligo. It never ceases to amaze me all the things this little thing can do, and the stuff people make to make it work better!

mrkablooey
09-10-2004, 01:30 AM
you looking for card tools, you should look at SKTools. i also give a big thumbsup to MemMaid.

CTSLICK
09-10-2004, 02:11 AM
I find HanDBase very useful, especially with the desktop conduits they provide. www.ddhsoftware.com

I have also grown to like Decuma OnSpot for text input

aliensub
09-10-2004, 01:39 PM
I would strongly suggest Resco File Explorer. I have it myself and the times i have made a hard reset and haven´t installed it yet i´m pulling hairs out of my head when i´m using the deafult explorer. Resco is just so much more powerfull and intuitive.

Uhh and Pocket Breeze. Propably the only app i have actually fallen in love with :werenotworthy:

CTSLICK
09-10-2004, 02:43 PM
So integrated into my Today screen that I almost forgot...Scott's Launcher, small, simple and to the point, very little Today screen "overhead"

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/cestuff.html

Edit: HEY! This post made me a "PocketPC Philosopher"...wahoo!

Jon Westfall
09-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the input. Does anyone know of a today screen plugin that can simply show me if I have new mails in any of my inboxes? I don't need the whole width of the screen taken up with "No Unread messages" - just something that can use icons or something and only take up 1 line on the whole screen.

zilla31
09-10-2004, 04:33 PM
where can i get a trial of the thunderhawk 2.0 beta?

Tye
09-10-2004, 04:55 PM
www.bitstream.com/wireless/th2/preview.html

With only a few small complaints, mostly because of the proxy system, I am falling in love with this browser.

zilla31
09-10-2004, 05:11 PM
thanks man - tell me a bit about it - what do you love about it? i guess i'm trying to figure out if it's worth the $$? not real happy about a monthly cost :(

ps i love these threads... found out about the WA2 beta and the TH2 beta today - good friday :mrgreen:

zilla31
09-10-2004, 05:17 PM
ps pocket breeze, contacts breeze, and ilauncher are incredible apps with incredible support (and CONSTANT new releases). also gotta say i get a ton of use out of pocketRSS.

Tye
09-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Regarding ThunderHawk:

Love:
SPEED (Fast!), Nicely formatted landscape pages, reduced bandwidth. Scrolling problems with old v1.0 are now fixed, pages load completely.

Dislike:
Not all pages are compatible, especially Java and flash stuff. However, even IE and NetFront don't support a lot of that so I can't complain too much.
Price, this is a personal decision. For me it's worth it because I can access my school's blackboard and online textbooks, the backend of my work server, and my online banking. No other browser allows me to do all that. Also, things like PPCT's forums here display just like on the desktop. The price is reduced if you buy a year at a time. If you pay for GPRS by the MB then you might make up for the subscription fee because of the reduced bandwidth.
The user interface is custom built so it's still clunky in a few areas. Nevertheless, it is heaps better than v1.0.
There are issues with saving things and downloading. I imagine some of this will be improved with newer versions. They seem very receptive to customer comments.

You owe it to yourself to check out the demo. You can try ThunderHawk free for 30 days and it's definitely worth your time to try.