View Full Version : Need Opinions : X30 vs X50

totoro
09-08-2004, 08:00 AM
hi,

i've been looking at PDAs the past couple of weeks and narrowed it down to the Dell X30, the rumored Dell X50, or the Sony UX50. I'm leaning towards the Dells though since Sony no longer does Clies.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had a good idea of the price difference between the top of the line x50 vs x30.

If I decide to get the X30, should I wait for the X50 to come out that could result in a price decrease on the X30 or will it stay the same?

How realistic is the rumored Sept 24th release date?

Andy Whiteford
09-08-2004, 12:14 PM
If you can hold off until the end of the month I would, at least that way even if the x50 is not released there will more information available on it to help your decision making.

Darius Wey
09-08-2004, 01:40 PM
totoro, what are you looking for in a Pocket PC?

Are you interested in VGA screens? Integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities? It'd be great if you could tell us a bit more about what you'd like in a Pocket PC before we start offering any set opinions. But I also have to agree with Andy...wait a month or two and see what the X50 will be like.

Kowalski
09-08-2004, 11:28 PM
the price of x30 is very low and i wont expect it to drop more, so if you want a vga device, then you will wait but in my opinion x30 will be the same price after x50 hits the market, so buy a x30, a good device

Matt Kitchen
09-27-2004, 07:03 PM
I would say just wait until we get an official X50 press release in October. I would say its very possible that the X50 will not phase out the X30 - I can't imagine a VGA model at under $350. So I would say wait till the X50 and see where the price point lands and then compare the two according to their overall value to you. The X30 will still be a great device at a great price even when the X50 comes out and will be no where close to obsolete. Eh, my thoughts.

Jeff00000168
09-28-2004, 12:25 AM
The X50's release date is on Oct. 22. I don't think they would phase out the X30. I'm sure Dell will still have them around for another year. The X30 is way better than HP's iPAQ 3700 and 1700 series and with a way lower price for a PPC with 624 MHz, WLAN and BlueTooth. Expect the X50 to be priced at $399 tops with the rebate and coupon put together. Dell can't go higher than that. :D

JongJungBu
09-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Also, you mustn't forget that the X50 will be VGA and have the performance hit most likely that all VGA devices have been getting (due to the double-pixel rendering). Which means, the X50 is not going to be the fastest PocketPC out there. The X30 will probably remain cheaper and faster and thusly still be a very good PDA to purchase. You'll have to decide what particular features you want when you make your purchase between the X30 or the X50.

It's still a good possibility that the X50 will be the fastest VGA PPC out there though.

JJB

Matt Kitchen
09-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Also, you mustn't forget that the X50 will be VGA and have the performance hit most likely that all VGA devices have been getting (due to the double-pixel rendering)

That is a very good point - it will be interesting to see the benchmarks of an X50 compared to an X30.

Speaking of which, i haven't seen any benchmarks comparing the Hx4700 to the x30 are they out there yet?

JongJungBu
09-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah, PocketNow did a review of the Hx4700 that included the X30 in a few performance tables. There is a slight bias towards the HP devices so you have to accept it with a grain of salt. :P Plus, there's a few benchmarks not listed that should have been. And the battery tables do not specify the mAh of each battery tested (i.e. if you are going to compare how good it's battery life is...use equal batteries on every PDA in your table and show so).

Review Link:
http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=483

Either way, interesting read.

JJB