View Full Version : Alternative for ActiveSync - ActiveSync replacement

user5918
09-07-2004, 04:57 AM
I'm looking for an utility X that, once running keeps an eye on the infrared port (IR) and talks with my Pocket PC using the sync protocol P.

The utility X would map the IR communication link as a network drive in my PC. For example the PocketPC's filesystem would appear as E: in my PC. The IR link would be established when the user starts up utility X and starts the corresponding ActiveSync in the PDA. The link would be maintained until the user presses 'stop' in the PDA ActiveSync, or closes utility X. Copying a file to drive E: would simultaneously download the file to the PDA.

Main usage: download new applications or data files to the PDA, using simple copy command from the (dos) command shell.

Does the utility X exist? Has anybody heard anything about a software like the above described?

The MicroSoft ActiveSync 3.7.1 is driving me nuts -- I need something simple that works 100% the time. Please help.

jimski
09-07-2004, 05:18 AM
AFAIK, all ActiveSync alternatives act as a layer on top of ActiveSync and not as replacements. If you do find a replacement, I think I know of a few 100K users who would be willing to part with some $$$$. Are you listening developers (assuming that this is not violating some Microsoft rule).

CEGiven
09-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Here's a "Poor Man's" version of a mapped drive.

Your PPC has a file share defined by ActiveSync. My PPC is named "PPC" so in "My Documents" there is a folder called "PPC My Documents" and anything placed or removed from that directory (or its subdirectories) gets sync'd. From the DOS command prompt you can create a virtual drive to that location. My login/profile is "Craig" so I would use this command:

SUBST Z: "C:\Documents and Settings\Craig\My Documents\PPC My Documents"

Now I have a Z: drive that I can use via DOS commands or File Explorer. In DOS I copied a JPG to Z:\ then viewed it on the PPC, then deleted it via DOS from Z: and it was removed from my PPC. But all this can be done by using File Explorer with the PPC My Documents folder and no drive mapping is needed. It's just a variation from what ActiveSync provides natively, but it does save typing in a long path name. :)

One utility I find useful for sync'ing is MightSync. It allows me to Sync FROM multiple locations (including corporate network drives) to multiple locatons on the PPC (some go to the Storage card, and others to the PPC's memory), without having to copy them to the PPC My Documents folder.