View Full Version : Processors-how do they rate them?

uzetaab
09-05-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm finding the whole processor side of PPC confusing. I tend to lurk in forums more than I post these days, so I thank you in advance for any answers you give. Here are my questions:

1) Do the brand/model of the processor have much bearing on the speed, like the intel/AMD pc units do?

2) Or do the MHZ ratings always give you a good idea of the speed?

3) Now the one that really has me stumped, compatability. I keep seeing references to processor compatability for s/w & stuff. Is there a simple mode of thought, like if it runs on win2003 & thats what I have, I shouldn't have much trouble?

4)I saw somewhere a program that rates the speed of PPCs by running various programs (like processor: 1458, overall: 1268). Where do I find that program. I figure that this site might have a comparison listing of the different processors too, if it doesn't, is there a list elsewhere?

If it helps I'm going to buy a Navman PIN Pocket next month & it has:

Intel PXA-255 300 MHz
Processor. 64MB RAM,
32MB Strata Flash RAM.

I understand how the ram works.

Kowalski
09-08-2004, 11:20 PM
1)partialy yes, partialy no. xscale processors evolved for last couple of years and other brands fell behind intel, i bealive that pxa270 is the best processor in the market today
2)not always, a mips processor is better than pxa250 with the same clock speed
3)the device you are going to buy has a xcale processor which is arm compatible, so when you are downloading a software, be sure to download arm compatible one. most of the devices have arm processors, so every developer compiles their product for arm processors for sure
4)spb benchmark. this program wont give you exect results, because people writing reviews are doing the benchmarks after soft resetting the devices, but this can give you a rough idea about your devices speed.