View Full Version : Firefox 1.0 - only for the daring

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Well Firefox has embraced us all over the past few months, and you're all probably sitting tight on version 0.9.3.

Mozilla have decided to release nightly preview beta versions of the upcoming 1.0, so if you're daring and want to try it out, visit their FTP site here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/2004-09-04-08-0.9/ and download the relevant setup file.

Again I'll warn that this is a beta file and use of it is done at your own risk.

Also remember that these are nightly versions so revisit the FTP site and change the date in the link to get updated ones at your leisure.

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 06:58 AM
w0000000000000000000000t.

i love firefox. ive been waiting for 1.0 since 0.6, lol.

now if only they had a mobile version... 8O 8O 8O

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 06:59 AM
now if only they had a mobile version... 8O 8O 8O

Give it a few years and they may soon. It did take Opera a few years before they decided to embark on the Windows Mobile platform.

EDIT: It sure is nice to see that Firefox 1.0 has made a solid attempt at telling you that you are accessing a secure page (https). Try it and you should see what I'm talking about. :D

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 10:46 AM
i used an old nightly before and i noticed that. pretty cool.

try pressing ctrl + f :D

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 10:50 AM
i used an old nightly before and i noticed that. pretty cool.

try pressing ctrl + f :D

Hehe. Awesome. It's all integrated. Now that's what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if you knew this, and it's been around for a while now, but if you click a link with your middle mouse button (the one integrated into the wheel), it opens a new tab with that link in it. But you probably already knew that. I'm just saying it for those that didn't know. It's a handy feature.

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Interesting bit of maths that I just found out:

Mozilla's browser share has doubled in the past 9 months and now stands at 14.9%. It can only go on up! :mrgreen:

Kowalski
09-05-2004, 03:39 PM
i am proud as a mozilla user that version 1.0 has come out.
the only thing mozilla needs is good advertising so more people know about this excellent browser

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 03:44 PM
i am proud as a mozilla user that version 1.0 has come out.
the only thing mozilla needs is good advertising so more people know about this excellent browser

I agree. The unfortunate thing is for the "common and basic" computer user, they have very little exposure to the real computing world, and their knowledge of OS and browser is limited to Windows and IE. If they knew of the extra enhancements implemented into other browsers such as Opera and Firefox, that 14.9% browser share may very well move into the 40-50%.

Kai920
09-05-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure if you knew this, and it's been around for a while now, but if you click a link with your middle mouse button (the one integrated into the wheel), it opens a new tab with that link in it. But you probably already knew that. I'm just saying it for those that didn't know. It's a handy feature.

I'm using 0.9.3 and it doesn't open a new tab when I click with my middle mouse. :?: Is there a setting for it somewhere?

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 06:04 PM

I'm using 0.9.3 and it doesn't open a new tab when I click with my middle mouse. :?: Is there a setting for it somewhere?

Mine does it by default.

What's your normal mouse configuration of the middle mouse button? Mine is set to AutoScroll.

I'm not aware of any ways in Firefox that allows you to configure mouse shortcuts.

Kai920
09-05-2004, 06:20 PM

Mine does it by default.

What's your normal mouse configuration of the middle mouse button? Mine is set to AutoScroll.

I'm not aware of any ways in Firefox that allows you to configure mouse shortcuts.

I have a Logitech MX700, it was set to "universal scroll" by default... just tried changing it to "autoscroll" but it still doesn't work. No biggie though, I get my links to open in a tab by holding CTRL and then left-clicking on the link :lol:

Falstaff
09-05-2004, 07:44 PM

Mozilla's browser share has doubled in the past 9 months and now stands at 14.9%. It can only go on up! :mrgreen:

Just curious about those numbers you gave. This (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116848,00.asp) PC World article from July gives Mozilla and Netscape's combined market share as 3.21%, and IE with 94.73%. I actually did find a source (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp) that had the 14.9% you listed, but that appears to be the internal logs, not any large scale detection, and considering that site is for web designers, the stats may be a bit skewed.

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 07:50 PM

Just curious about those numbers you gave. This (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116848,00.asp) PC World article from July gives Mozilla and Netscape's combined market share as 3.21%, and IE with 94.73%. I actually did find a source (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp) that had the 14.9% you listed, but that appears to be the internal logs, not any large scale detection, and considering that site is for web designers, the stats may be a bit skewed.

That was the source. Spot on. :mrgreen:

I agree. Now that I've read over this properly, a larger sample size is nedded to bring about better results. Still, I'll reiterate what I said earlier: Firefox can only go on up! ;)

Janak Parekh
09-06-2004, 12:09 AM
I have a Logitech MX700, it was set to "universal scroll" by default... just tried changing it to "autoscroll" but it still doesn't work. No biggie though, I get my links to open in a tab by holding CTRL and then left-clicking on the link :lol:
Change it to "middle button". Scrolling still works, and tabs work like a charm.

--janak

Carlos
09-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Argh...why do they do strange things with well-founded features and then not offer you a way to disable the new way? The CTRL-F thing is one example...aggravating, but at least not as horrible as the new external link handling. It opens a new window, not in the current window, or even a new tab. Now, someone explain to me what they were thinking in doing that. How ridiculous; take one of the best features, preventing popups and forced new windows, and kill it for your own links.

Good thing I've been keeping old versions around. So far it seems to be going downhill rather than up, and I may end up with an old version that has more of the features that I need.

Darius Wey
09-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Argh...why do they do strange things with well-founded features and then not offer you a way to disable the new way? The CTRL-F thing is one example...aggravating, but at least not as horrible as the new external link handling. It opens a new window, not in the current window, or even a new tab. Now, someone explain to me what they were thinking in doing that. How ridiculous; take one of the best features, preventing popups and forced new windows, and kill it for your own links.

Good thing I've been keeping old versions around. So far it seems to be going downhill rather than up, and I may end up with an old version that has more of the features that I need.

Submit a request to the Mozilla team. They are always open to suggestions.

Personally, I prefer this new integrated "find" function. Some prefer the old method. Firefox 1.0 final can always accomodate both methods if you get the word to them before the release date. 8)

Carlos
09-07-2004, 11:57 AM
I've searched a lot on the site, and never have found a suggestions or feedback link. I don't believe this sort of stuff belongs in Bugzilla, I could be wrong.

Ah well, it's probably time I test-drove Opera anyway.

Darius Wey
09-07-2004, 12:05 PM
I've searched a lot on the site, and never have found a suggestions or feedback link. I don't believe this sort of stuff belongs in Bugzilla, I could be wrong.

Ah well, it's probably time I test-drove Opera anyway.

You should submit requests and feedback on their forums. That's the way most info gets to the makers. 8)

minimage
09-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Darn; 1 thought you were saying they'd made Firefox for the PPC.Yeah, I forgot which forum I was in. I used to use Firefox on my TabletPC, but after I installed SP2, Firefox started sucking up CPU and had to go. I wonder if this newest version will reunite us.

Darius Wey
09-09-2004, 03:56 AM
Darn; 1 thought you were saying they'd made Firefox for the PPC.Yeah, I forgot which forum I was in. I used to use Firefox on my TabletPC, but after I installed SP2, Firefox started sucking up CPU and had to go. I wonder if this newest version will reunite us.

I've never had Firefox and SP2 CPU problems. Perhaps you should try installing the new version to see if this rectifies it.

Janak Parekh
09-09-2004, 04:44 AM
Hmm, I've had no problems with SP2 and Firefox on any of my PCs, including my Portege 3505 Tablet...

--janak

dean_shan
09-09-2004, 05:38 PM
I think I'll hold up with .9.3 until they go public with 1.0. I must ask though, what are the changes from .9.3 to 1.0?

Darius Wey
09-10-2004, 01:23 AM
I think I'll hold up with .9.3 until they go public with 1.0. I must ask though, what are the changes from .9.3 to 1.0?

I'm sure a lot of changes are "under the hood" so to speak, so unless you look at the code, you wouldn't notice much in terms of functionality. You will notice a few things in the UI though. New icons, new implemented "find" function, "stand-out" secure web page notification, updated downloads dialog...there's many more, but you'll have to check it out for yourself to notice them. :)

CTSLICK
09-10-2004, 02:00 AM
I given Firefox a couple of tries on my Powerbook and I do like it. The only things that bugs me is its inability to automatically switch connection types. At home I use wireless but its basically a direct connect. At work I use a proxy. Firefox requires that I manually change the connection settings to use a proxy...Camino does not. So I have been using Camino...which is pretty similar and very good as well.

dean_shan
09-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Yeah the Mac OS X version of FireFox is not as fast and stable as the Windows verion IMHO. That's the way it seemed to me atleast.

Darius Wey
09-12-2004, 07:33 AM
For those who want to know, Firefox 1.0PR Release Candidate (Final) will be released to the public on Tuesday.

Janak Parekh
09-12-2004, 08:22 AM
For those who want to know, Firefox 1.0PR Release Candidate (Final) will be released to the public on Tuesday.
You mean, a final release candidate, which is likely not the final release version. We had this whole confusion for 0.9. ;) They could do a much better job of naming things...

--janak

Darius Wey
09-12-2004, 09:31 AM
You mean, a final release candidate, which is likely not the final release version. We had this whole confusion for 0.9. ;) They could do a much better job of naming things...

--janak

Yep. Sorry. What I meant was a final release candidate. What is available now is the 1.0 PR RC (i.e. Preview Release Release Candidate). Tuesday will bring us the final release candidate, before 1.0 goes gold. Hope that clarifies the confusion. ;)

Darius Wey
09-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Right. The official Mozilla Firefox 1.0 Preview Release has now been released and is available on the main Firefox page: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

The main download link now replaces that of the original 0.9.3 release.

For those interested, the new 1.0 PR provides the following new features:
:: Live Bookmarks
:: Improved Fast Find Function
:: Improved Security
:: Master Password Features
:: Software Update Features
:: Smaller Download

Enjoy! :)

Janak Parekh
09-18-2004, 08:55 PM
The irony is that 1.0PR is not 1.0RC. 1.0RC will be the "next" version. 1.0PR is more of a "0.10" version than a 1.0 version.

Why oh why do people have to use such frustrating version numbers, I don't know. Anyway, it works well for me, although Tabbrowser Extensions haven't been updated yet. :cry:

--janak

Darius Wey
09-19-2004, 03:15 AM
For those interested in reading an article on Firefox 1.0PR:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1647234,00.asp?kc=ETRSS03039TX1K0000564

Darius Wey
09-20-2004, 05:53 AM
It's been under 100 hours and "The March To 1 Million Downloads" (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/) has been achieved. :)

ironguy
09-20-2004, 04:48 PM
I d'l ed immediately after its release. Super in lots of ways.

I did find a small problem and strangely enough it's with the Brighthand forums. When writing a post, the entry field for the post is only about 2 inches wide. Right now, this post is about 5 inches wide on my 17" monitor. Other than that - very nice. I especially love the very smooth scrolling.

Darius Wey
10-18-2004, 08:43 AM
ETA of new Firefox build dates are shown below:

Firefox 1.0 RC1 - October 18
Firefox 1.0 RC2 - October 25
Firefox 1.0 Milestone - November 09
Firefox 1.1 - ETA March 2005

RC1 will be out tomorrow, and will be made official on the Firefox webpage. You can currently download the unofficial release at their FTP site.

Watch this space for links. ;)

Wiggster
10-18-2004, 06:38 PM

RC1 will be out tomorrow, and will be made official on the Firefox webpage. You can currently download the unofficial release at their FTP site.

The ETA is today with a release of tomorrow... those folks ain't too good at them there dates, is they? :mrgreen:

Darius Wey
10-18-2004, 06:47 PM

The ETA is today with a release of tomorrow... those folks ain't too good at them there dates, is they? :mrgreen:

Well no...when I posted it, it was "today" (18th) but in my part of the world. Their touting of "tomorrow" is usually in reference to their "actual tomorrow" (18th) because there is no consideration of other time zones around the world. Don't you just love it?!? ;)

Darius Wey
10-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Okay, the RC1 tag has been implemented in the past few builds of Firefox.

If you want to check it out, you can download it here. (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-0.9/firefox-1.0.en-US.win32.installer.exe)

Remember that these builds are updated nightly and that each subsequent build will have new bug fixes implemented.

Under the hood, you will notice a few new changes since the Preview Release. It is also important to note that you may get incompatibility of extensions from the change in build number from 0.10.1 to 1.0. To workaround this problem, close Firefox, and open \%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\randomname\extensions\Extensions.rdf

Note %appdata% refers to the directory path with which you installed Firefox into. In most cases, this is x:\Program Files\ where x refers to your drive letter.

From there, you can then change the values of maxVersion="0.10" to maxVersion="1.0". This all has to do with inconsistencies in the way extensions operate and identify the validities of certain build numbers.

Enjoy! :)

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 06:36 AM
Here (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0rc1/) is the link for the official RC1 release of Firefox - just released. It includes around 250 bug fixes since PR, so if you always have an urge to "update" your software for the sake of it, now's your chance. ;)

maximus
11-03-2004, 01:16 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041101_184945.html

San Diego (CA) - Since its launch in mid September, the Firefox browser managed to become the second most popular browser on the Internet and caused the most significant drop in Internet Explorer market share in more than two years, according to a survey released by web analytics firm WebSideStory.

According to Johnston, Firefox does not just consist of a "tiny group of Microsoft haters anymore". However, it he said it was too early to say, if the browser is moving into the mainstream. "It is Microsoft's advantage that many people are lazy and feel that the Internet Explorer is good enough and therefore do not switch to Firefox."

:rofl: Microsoft hate usergroup ...

c38b2
11-10-2004, 04:45 AM
Firefox 1.0 Final has been released.

Press Release:
http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-11-09.html

Download:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/