View Full Version : Saving pics in Internet Explorer

bassboy_pete
09-05-2004, 02:23 AM
Hey guys, got a question for you.

Is it possible to save pictures when surfing the internet on my Pocket PC? The only options I get when I hold down the stylus on the picture is:

Select all Text
Refresh Page
Add to Favorites

Is there another peice of software I need or a plugin to save pics? How do I go about doing it?

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 05:19 AM
Spb Pocket Plus (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com) adds this functionality, as well as a host of other features to your PDA.

bassboy_pete
09-05-2004, 05:40 AM
Great piece of software, thanks

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 05:41 AM
i have spb, and its great for pictures. however, i still cant download most files. is it possible to do that too?

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 05:52 AM
Great piece of software, thanks

No problems.

i have spb, and its great for pictures. however, i still cant download most files. is it possible to do that too? What files are you trying to download. You do not need Spb to download other files as well. This should be able to be done freely without enhancements.

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 06:34 AM
the cab file at this sire for example

http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/downloads/wisbar.html

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 06:43 AM
All you're getting is a whole bunch of text right?

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 06:59 AM
yup, and it freezed up for a while too.

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 07:01 AM
The "freezing" could perhaps be attributed to the loadup time as the file is around 600KB. I'll see what I can do to save the file as it is rather than showing it as text.

I don't normally use Pocket IE so I wasn't aware of this occurrence in downloading.

Janak Parekh
09-05-2004, 07:05 AM
The "freezing" could perhaps be attributed to the loadup time as the file is around 600KB. I'll see what I can do to save the file as it is rather than showing it as text.
It has to do with MIME types. You may find this post (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6437) by Jason some time ago to be of use.

In short, the server's incorrectly configured in that it serves binary data as text. I don't know if anyone has developed a tap-and-hold "Save Target As" workaround for Pocket PCs.

--janak

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 07:10 AM

I don't normally use Pocket IE so I wasn't aware of this occurrence in downloading.

what do you use instead?

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 07:10 AM
I don't know if anyone has developed a tap-and-hold "Save Target As" workaround for Pocket PCs.

Heh...that's exactly what I was looking for. :wink:

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 07:13 AM

what do you use instead?

NetFront...but I don't download files from the PPC often so I'm not sure if the same thing happens in that browser. But for what it's worth, there's so many more features in NetFront than Pocket IE has that it's worth acquiring.

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 07:18 AM
"File download / upload
Allows you to download / upload programs and image files"

im getting netfront.... :lol:

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Heheh....I converted another one.

If you want Java, get the JV-Lite2 edition. 8)

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 07:20 AM
can someone that speaks asian(yes, thats a language... :lol:) tell me how which file to download on this site for pocket pc 2003 and xscale.

Edit: and with java :wink:

Edit Edit: hows landscape support?

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 07:25 AM
can someone that speaks asian(yes, thats a language... :lol:) tell me how which file to download on this site for pocket pc 2003 and xscale.

Edit: and with java :wink:

Edit Edit: hows landscape support?

I speak Chinese...but what you're probably looking at is Japanese. Go to Handango, and search for the product there. It's in English. :D

With reference to your first edit, head to Handango.

And with your second edit, there is one problem with an oversized address bar but that's about it. NetFront 3.2 will hopefully resolve this once it is released.

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 07:40 AM
handango has an older version, but that jap site had an english version too :)

http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/agree.html

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 08:35 AM
handango has an older version, but that jap site had an english version too :)

http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/agree.html

Oh? I'm pretty sure Handango has the 3.1 releases on there as well. I remember seeing it the other day when I was browsing around.

nuka_t
09-08-2004, 07:59 AM
yo tengo el fixo

"
If you download this CAB file while
browsing from your Axim, Pocket IE will
display garbage.
What you need to do is let it load,
then use a file explorer to browse to
your Axim's Temp IE directory
and the CAB file should be in there."