View Full Version : !!2 terabyte on PDA!!!!

alnaizi
09-04-2004, 07:38 PM
some taiwanian company is releasing a 2 terabyte memory card mmc/sd slot compatible!!!

SHOCKING!!! eh?

heres a link to the thread i read about it from

http://discuss.treocentral.com/archive/index.php/t-55538.html

Is there some sort of catch?????

PS: 128MB per second transfer speed :D

surur
09-04-2004, 07:48 PM
some taiwanian company is releasing a 2 terabyte memory card mmc/sd slot compatible!!!

SHOCKING!!! eh?

some taiwanian company is releasing a 2 terabyte memory card CAPABLE mmc/sd slot compatible!!!

It just means that potentially they could address that amount of memroy, not that they have been able to produce that amount.

Surur

ADBrown
09-04-2004, 07:49 PM

SHOCKING!!! eh?

BIG catch. It is a format that supports up to 2 TB, NOT a card containing 2 TB. Terabytes of flash memory storage is probably a decade off.

hockeydude
09-05-2004, 01:23 AM
Nah....not a decade but you wont see it until they start having Terabyte HDD's.

Janak Parekh
09-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Nah....not a decade but you wont see it until they start having Terabyte HDD's.
Not using a flash memory technology. ;)

--janak

Maced
09-05-2004, 05:34 AM
Uhm, lets see... hard drives have been around for what, almost since as long as personal computers have been? That's at least 20 years...

Ok now... Flash memory has been around for what, roughly 5?

Lets see now;

Biggest available HD on the market right now (for a price that wouldn't cost that of a small car) is roughly 400GB.... HD's took 20+ years to mature to 400GB? ... How much longer until 2TB? - No one even needs a terabyte right now... 99% of normal computer users (including high end gamers) don't even need over 100GB of hard drive space... How much use could you actually get out of a 2TB HD?

Biggest secure digital card is like 2GB I think, and even that is like 200 dollars still... 5 years or so to mature to 2GB and it's still super-expensive per MB? ... I think SD cards have at least 5 years to go before they even get to a number like 10GB.

I hate it when I see people say stuff like "xxx releases format that supports up to 2TB of memory" ... and twist it into "xxx releases 2TB memory card"

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 05:50 AM
How much longer until 2TB? - No one even needs a terabyte right now... 99% of normal computer users (including high end gamers) don't even need over 100GB of hard drive space... How much use could you actually get out of a 2TB HD?

You'll be surprised how quickly 100GB fills up, especially if you do a lot of video editing.

jimski
09-05-2004, 06:32 AM
How much longer until 2TB? - No one even needs a terabyte right now... 99% of normal computer users (including high end gamers) don't even need over 100GB of hard drive space... How much use could you actually get out of a 2TB HD?

You'll be surprised how quickly 100GB fills up, especially if you do a lot of video editing.

You can say that again. I have a 160GB drive that I only use as a swap/temp folder. Try saving some video in native AVI format and that 2TB drive starts to sound really nice.

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 06:55 AM
Okay, let's use standard retail pricing of an SD card as a guide.

256MB: A$82
512MB: A$172
1GB: A$325
2GB: Perhaps A$640
4GB: Perhaps A$1200
8GB: Perhaps A$2350
16GB: Perhaps A$4600
32GB: Perhaps A$9300

So an approximate double in price as we double memory capacity...

1TB (approximate 6-fold increase on the 32GB): Perhaps A$600000
2TB: Perhaps: A$1.2 million dollars

Hmmmm....sure I'll just casually pull out a withdrawal slip for my bank account. 8)

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 09:15 AM
actually, i think thas wrong

using your numbers

256mb =.32 dollars per mb
512mb=.34 dollars per mb
1gb=.33
at 33 cents a mb, 2tb would cost A660000 dollars.

needless to say, its a little pricey.

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 09:21 AM
actually, i think thas wrong

using your numbers

256mb =.32 dollars per mb
512mb=.34 dollars per mb
1gb=.33
at 33 cents a mb, 2tb would cost A660000 dollars.

needless to say, its a little pricey.

Heheh...yeah. Whoops. I counted one too many times when I was "doubling" figures. Still... :mrgreen:

JvanEkris
09-05-2004, 01:22 PM
You are forgetting that the price is cut in half every 6 months or so. I bought my first 32 Mb CF card for 400 euros (= $500). Nowdays i get them almost for free.

I must say that my multimedia server has a 250 Gb drive pure for multimedia content (operating system and temp-drives are on a spare disk). I encode every movie on it to about 700Mb per 2 hours, but still the machine is filled up to it's ears. A terrabyte of data on solid state would solve a lot of my daily problems and make it transportable with my PocketPC as well:D

However, as i read the article refered to in the first post: it is the adressing capability of the memory, not the memory itself. SD is a very small format, and it is extremely complex to fit that amount of physical memory on such a small card. I sincerly hope that the larger CF will pass some boundaries in this area, but relatively "small" CF-cards like 18 Gb are the price of a small car! Knowing that CF normally only costs half of SD (especially in the top-range) a 18 Gb SD would cost the size of a big car. The before-mentioned curve is only valid for the high-volume produced chips. The more exotic formats (the range above 2 Gb CF / 1Gb SD) are suffering from low-volume and high investments and are therefor not priced according to the trend of .35 $cents a Mb.....

Jaap

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 01:51 PM
You are forgetting that the price is cut in half every 6 months or so. I bought my first 32 Mb CF card for 400 euros (= $500). Nowdays i get them almost for free.

I must say that my multimedia server has a 250 Gb drive pure for multimedia content (operating system and temp-drives are on a spare disk). I encode every movie on it to about 700Mb per 2 hours, but still the machine is filled up to it's ears. A terrabyte of data on solid state would solve a lot of my daily problems and make it transportable with my PocketPC as well:D

However, as i read the article refered to in the first post: it is the adressing capability of the memory, not the memory itself. SD is a very small format, and it is extremely complex to fit that amount of physical memory on such a small card. I sincerly hope that the larger CF will pass some boundaries in this area, but relatively "small" CF-cards like 18 Gb are the price of a small car! Knowing that CF normally only costs half of SD (especially in the top-range) a 18 Gb SD would cost the size of a big car. The before-mentioned curve is only valid for the high-volume produced chips. The more exotic formats (the range above 2 Gb CF / 1Gb SD) are suffering from low-volume and high investments and are therefor not priced according to the trend of .35 $cents a Mb.....

Jaap

Of course. I only posted what I said for amusement purposes. :D

Indeed, the concept of 2TB would solve many problems. A vast amount of room for programs, audio, and video. But perhaps when a 2TB card debuts, the demands of programs may increase. Games will venture into a much higher installation size, as may most other programs. Where flashy PPC devices are available to the public, so to will the demands of the program and even the operating system increase as time goes on. I mean a 386 wouldn't be able to run Windows XP now, would it? Perhaps when 2TB debuts, it will considered "standard" in a sense?

Kowalski
09-05-2004, 03:23 PM
isnt it too early to discuss this? my total storage capacity is 750mb (256 SD 512 CF) on my PPC and a 80 gig hard drive on my desktop.
i will be happy with this capacity until super media types (hologramic screens or surround vision, something like that) which will use much more space than the media types we are using.

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 03:57 PM
isnt it too early to discuss this?

Haha. "Premature wishing" is something that can be found in the fiction section of the library. :mrgreen:

maximus
09-06-2004, 02:29 AM
"small" CF-cards like 18 Gb are the price of a small car!
a 18 Gb SD would cost the size of a big car.

And with the same logic, a 18 Gb of mini-SD/trans flash would cost a HUGE car ? a humvee ? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I am currently happy with 2x1Gb SD cards on my axim. one for oggs, and another for images/divxs/apps. If I need to process a bigger file, that is the reason why they invented laptop.

Ed Hansberry
09-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Uhm, lets see... hard drives have been around for what, almost since as long as personal computers have been? That's at least 20 years...

Biggest available HD on the market right now (for a price that wouldn't cost that of a small car) is roughly 400GB.... HD's took 20+ years to mature to 400GB? ... How much longer until 2TB? - No one even needs a terabyte right now... 99% of normal computer users (including high end gamers) don't even need over 100GB of hard drive space... How much use could you actually get out of a 2TB HD?

Absolute size isn't the issue. How long ago was it when 200GB was the max? 2 yrs, maybe? We'll see a 1TB drive in the next 2-3 years. And when one hour of AVI video takes 12GB, a 100GB fills up quickly. My 350GB drive is at 225GB used, and the machine is only 8 months old!

delfuhd
09-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Absolute size isn't the issue. How long ago was it when 200GB was the max? 2 yrs, maybe? We'll see a 1TB drive in the next 2-3 years. And when one hour of AVI video takes 12GB, a 100GB fills up quickly. My 350GB drive is at 225GB used, and the machine is only 8 months old!

when you say 200GB drive was the max, are you talking about PC hard drives? and if so, do you mean a 1TB HD for a PC? If so, then your time frame is a bit off, my friend currently has a 1TB external HD that he uses with his laptop. I can take pictures if you'd like, but boy that thing sounds like someone is grinding to granite stones together! He has pretty much every song I can think of on it, as well as about 100 or so Gigs of movies

Simply amazing :drool: :drool: :drool:

nuka_t
09-06-2004, 06:05 PM
there are not tb hdd out. his is probably 3 300gb on top of each other in one enclosure.

Carlos
09-06-2004, 06:34 PM
My primary computer is a laptop with a 40GB drive, and 10GB is free. I don't ever feel crowded in that space.

On the other hand, my girlfriend's machine has 340 GB and she's looking at expansion now. Download a few movies from usenet, rip a couple more, and that space is filled up... Just depends on what you do with your machine.

alnaizi
09-06-2004, 06:39 PM
so should we say that this new type of card would cancel out the mmc and sd card, like what happened to floppy disks.

if the maximum capacity for the card is 2 terabytes then the normal $100 cards should be like 2 or 3GB. maybe im wrong but even if the storage capacity isnt gonna cancel out the SD cards the transfer speed will. its something like a 120MB per second.

all we can do is wait for the release which i think is 8th octobre.

ADBrown
09-07-2004, 07:07 AM
so should we say that this new type of card would cancel out the mmc and sd card, like what happened to floppy disks.

if the maximum capacity for the card is 2 terabytes then the normal $100 cards should be like 2 or 3GB. maybe im wrong but even if the storage capacity isnt gonna cancel out the SD cards the transfer speed will. its something like a 120MB per second.

all we can do is wait for the release which i think is 8th octobre.

I sincerely doubt that we'll ever see even a 1 GB card in this new format. New flash memory formats come along every so often, promising the moon in terms of capacity and speed, but they almost never really materialize and if they do the big claims remain unfulfilled.