View Full Version : Help needed. Is there ANY software that.............

shah
09-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Help needed. Is there ANY software that has some sort of card file like database feature.

What i am trying to say or do is this:

I need to write little notes on topics. I have lots of little notes to write. I would like it to organise these notes in alphabetical order. in a list, such that when i click on the,m i get the info that i recorded.

Hmm.. i'm a newbie so falme me f this feature is already in the PPC..1

Thanks

Lex
09-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Check: http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14474

Also search that site using the term 'quiz' and you'll see several 'Flashcard' apps. This is a tough item to search for due to the multiple meanings for 'flash' and 'card'. 'Quiz' seems to turn up more of what you're looking for. But while some of these apps have the card style interface, you may not need the self-testing they are designed for.

How about 'List Pro'? It's a great database and listmaking app. See: http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/lp/lp_ssk2.htm for some screenshots. This app does a whole lot, and I've used it for a year. You set things up in list or outline fashion (the checkboxes can be left off) and when you tap any item it opens it to an editing window with a large 'Notes' field. Free trial available.

Welcome to the PPC community.

uzetaab
09-04-2004, 01:49 PM
I wonder if the plain old fashioned memo feature would do what you need?
Each entry usually gets listed alphabetically from the first letter you type, so you hould have to avoid starting with words like 'the'. I'm not overly familiar with this function on current PPCs but I imagine they can also be listed by time, date, importance etc. You should also be able to mark them as done & the only limit to the number of enties would be the avalable memory.

I don't actually own a PPC yet (my b'day is next month), but I'm very excited. So I'm no expert on the use of them, but I do sell them so I am familiar with their basic function. Maybe some one else here can tell you more about the memo function, but they really need to know what operating system (win ce, win mobile, palm os, etc) you have.

Lex
09-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Maybe some one else here can tell you more about the memo function

Great point. The obvious eluded me. :)

In the PPC environment it's called the 'Notes' application and it's built into the operating system. A Note takes on a default title based on the first few words you enter on the note. You can change the title to whatever you wish but when you look at the list view of all the notes on the PPC there is a character limitation of 14-15 spaces. This would do what you describe. Then there's Pocket Word also onboard if you want a little more formatting.

Sven Johannsen
09-04-2004, 03:53 PM
The Notes function does that as has been mentioned, but if you want a little more control over notes organization, you might take a look at http://www.phatware.com/phatnotes/. The several versions do have some interesting differences, so look at their comparison chart if the app interests you.

shah
09-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Well.. acutually im not a newbie.. i'm a real techie.. BUT i bought a 2210 and have a 5550 (Brothers).. but still bloody addicted to the old palm Vx... in fact heck i dont really like the PPc os inteface.. many drawback.. BUT thats 'coz i never really used it and messd around with it. Next week i aim to hide the palm and go onto the PPC full time..!

Yep.. Memo, or notes does the job BUT i hate the way all PPC progs when you try to search show ALL your folders as opposed to the few you create or want it to show..!

Thanks alot Guys...

I'll try phat notes..!

:oops:

Glisson
09-07-2004, 03:37 AM
I have always hated how PPCs default to show ALL notes (or whatever) in ALL folders as opposed to the last opened or a deafult set by the user. Seems like it would be simple to overcome but it's still with us.

Bill are you listening?

Glisson