View Full Version : Battery question...

Snarf
09-04-2004, 06:27 AM
Wondering what the h6315 manual means by "Do not allow the battery installed to discharge complete. Discharging the battery completely is similar to performing a hard reset."

So if I have a second battery and I want to switch it in, I get a hard reset?

That doesnt make too much sense. What's the real story here?

Thanks

Darius Wey
09-04-2004, 07:11 AM
If you allow a battery to discharge completely, you face the risk of losing your data if your Pocket PC is to rely on your backup battery. Once your backup battery is depleted, GAME OVER.

When changing a second battery, you tend to do it straight away, and with a backup battery in place, there is that safe time period which allows you to do so.

However, take a battery out and leave your Pocket PC for a few weeks, and I am sure that when you return, your Pocket PC will be in its original state. That is why they do not recommend you to allow a battery to discharge completely because of that risky time period where the Pocket PC relies upon the backup battery.

Sven Johannsen
09-04-2004, 04:02 PM
However, take a battery out and leave your Pocket PC for a few weeks,.

Ahh, more like a few minutes. Actually probably around 10-30 or so. The backup battery is not designed to hold data in the PPC for an extended period of time. It is certainly sufficient to allow main battery swapping. Some PPCs reserve a portion of main battery as a 'backup' or reserve and allow you to vary the amount of 'uptime' you have versus the amount of time the battery will retain data while telling you the battery is flat.

They all certainly have a backup battery that is distinct from the main battery, or you would get a hard reset trying to swap batteries. Some are built in. Some are actually replaceable watch cells.

You can't even take most PPCs with a full battery and leave them for a few weeks and expect them to still have power when you try to turn them back on.

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 09:46 AM
However, take a battery out and leave your Pocket PC for a few weeks,.

Ahh, more like a few minutes. Actually probably around 10-30 or so. The backup battery is not designed to hold data in the PPC for an extended period of time. It is certainly sufficient to allow main battery swapping. Some PPCs reserve a portion of main battery as a 'backup' or reserve and allow you to vary the amount of 'uptime' you have versus the amount of time the battery will retain data while telling you the battery is flat.

They all certainly have a backup battery that is distinct from the main battery, or you would get a hard reset trying to swap batteries. Some are built in. Some are actually replaceable watch cells.

You can't even take most PPCs with a full battery and leave them for a few weeks and expect them to still have power when you try to turn them back on.

Haha...yeah I know. I just wanted to be generous with the timing so as to not confuse Snarf with the concept of minutes and hours. So I chose "weeks" as a safe point to safely say that you're in for a hard reset if you leave the main battery out. :mrgreen: