View Full Version : 2 PPCs and one PC?

klas77
09-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi!

I've been using a PPC for about 2 years now, and now my wife decided she needs one as well. 8) We only have on PC at home which will be used for syncing both PDAs after she buys one. Will that be a problem for ActiveSync?

Fishie
09-04-2004, 01:16 AM
I do it all the time.
You will each have your own profile and device name so it shouldnt pose a problem.
Especially not if you use XP and you have seperate login/profiles

Failing that it still shouldnt be a problem becouse I own more then one machine I activesync.

Ultima
09-04-2004, 12:51 PM
No problem at all! I've done this before (owned two Toshiba PDAs at one time) and it works just great.

ActiveSync will only recognized the first one plugged in at a time (if you have different PDAs with different cradles for charging, this could be an issue.) So, if you set PDA 1 in the cradle, then set PDA 2 in the cradle, PDA 1 will sync with the computer and the computer will gleefully ignore PDA 2 until you remove BOTH PDAs from the cradles and place PDA 2 in the cradle before PDA 1.

Make sense? I hope so.

Oreocat
09-04-2004, 03:23 PM
I actually had this question a few months ago when I upgraded to an Asus and my husband started to use my old Dell.

Since Activesynch will only synch with one ppc at a time, the easiest solution offered to me when I asked, was to keep both ppc's in their dock, and simply turn off #1 so that #2 will synch. Then, if you need to synch #1 again, turn off #2. No need to keep removing and redocking them, just turning one or the other off will do what you need.

Works pretty well-in fact, I just downloaded some ebooks to both our ppc's last night using this method. Worked wonderfully :)

Good luck.

Janak Parekh
09-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Everyone's correct, but I just wanted to point out one more thing -- if both of you want separate Outlook calendars/contacts/etc., you'll find creating two users in Windows is the easiest way to do it (not the only way, but certainly the easiest way, especially under Win2k/XP).

Incidentally, ActiveSync will support up to 16 Pocket PCs on one PC, if I remember correctly.

--janak

klas77
09-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I thought it would work like that, but wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose my mind after we'd bought the other one. :D