View Full Version : Developer needs ideas

Deceiver
09-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Hello to all,

I'm an experienced programmer who's starting now writing code for the ppc. Unfortunately after writing some basic apps I run out of interesting ideas. So I thought maybe some of you have any ideas or maybe you need a program that doesnt exist, or you need something specific etc. etc.

Of course the program will be freeware and you will get all the beta stuff.

Btw I'm programming in c# and c++.

Thanx and post some ideas :)

uzetaab
09-04-2004, 02:34 PM
8O I feel like a kid in a candy shop!
:cry: One who has no pocket money.
I don't own a PPC yet, sigh. Next month, next month.
So for now, I will settle for blind suggestions. Blind because I have no idea if any of these things exist, as I haven't looked, but, here goes.

Oh before I start, I realize that some of these will be too difficult for one man to attempt, but I'll list them anyway, they may give you an idea.

-I have Readerware for PC from Readerware.com (it's a library database). they have a palm version, but not windows. Could be copyright issues.

-Being able to get weather info from GPS with a GPS enabled device would be handy.

-Being able to scan a map & tell your device where lat/long co-ord is would be handy (gps again obviously.

-ms reader compatable reading program (like a book on tape)

-Dungeons & Dragons Dice program. Select dice size and number, add bonuses, click total. I have lots of suggestions for this one.

-a digital lock (like on a front door) that is infra red compatable. So when I come home, I can open the door with my PPC.

-Fingerprint to password. An aplet that recognises a fingerprint pressed against the touch screen of the PPC & translates it into a password & drops it into various password boxes. logon passwords for windows or website forums etc.

-Password protect any file or folder.

-Fishing spot memories for GPS. Save a location & The GPS can navigate you back to it in the future.

-Current location to address book. In both co-ord & street address form, then just add the name & number & you've added a new contact. Would need intergration with a street mapping GPS program.

-File association. Link files like pictures, vids, sounds, docs, spreadsheets, contact entries etc. Great for client databases. Sales histories(spreadsheets), photos of products, contacts, etc.

-128 bit encrypted program to keep pin numbers, passwords, bank details etc.

-128 bit encrypted logon password for the device.

-CD ripper, MP3 & WMA downloader that automatically re-encodes them into a smaller selectable file size (say 32-96 bit) as you download them to your PPC.

I'll give it a rest for now. :devilboy:

Deceiver
09-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Phew thats a lot of ideas hehe :D

Some of them exist already for pocket pc. (ms reader for example is already installed on PPC2003 devices and available for download for PPC2003SE devices)

The last idea was realy good. I would use something like that myself. I will get informed on that :)

ecard
09-04-2004, 11:16 PM
What about a software that start and stop Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi when you start and exit a specific program.

So when you start PIExplorer, it starts the wi-fi and stops when you exit. Or, when you start your map/gps software (mapopolis), it's starts bluetooth to enable your BT GPS.!!!

I've been looking for this for a while. In the Palm world, BTToggle does it for Bluetooth.

ECard

Lex
09-05-2004, 02:35 AM
Here's something none of the PIM apps can do: Copy a contact phone number into an alarm note. You have to memorize the contact phone number and hand-write it into an alarm note or go through contortions to copy it then paste it into an alarm note. I suggested this 2 years ago as a feature request for Agenda Fusion.

Another means of accomplishing this would be to take a screen capture and allow an alarm to be set at which time the screen capture would display. In the Palm world there is a hack app that would capture any screen and import it instantly into an alarm note app called 'Diddlebug'. You could hand-write over the screen capture too.

Thanks for considering it !

Glisson
09-07-2004, 03:30 AM
You may have opened a can of worms here! It seems like everyone has somthing they would like their PPC to do that they haven't found a solution for yet. Often there is an app to handel it but the software is way overpriced for what it does. You could eaisily end up researching how other things work as much as coding. i.e. interfacing with bluetooth, gps etc. A good sugestion might be to hit PDA software sites and find some smaller apps that are overpriced and create YOUR version. :) It seemed like forever until there was a simple freeware solitare app!! You might be the new hero around here! I am trying to learn VB .NET as well and have a couple of large scale electrical calculators and reference apps in mind myself but it will be a bit yet. I would like to see you keep the forum informed as to your progress and if there is anyway we may be able to help. I created a few simple graphics and beta tested for the first free solitare app I found. It was cool and I learned a lot from it as well.

Good luck with your work,

Glisson

Deceiver
09-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Thats exactly what I'm trying to do. I learned lots of stuff since I wrote the first message. C# is realy easy and similar to java.

I'm writing at the moment an admin tool "all in one". IP calc, telnet, ftp, ssh, dns lookup, ping etc etc. If anyone wants a beta I can send it to him.